Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

local chemist forced to close???

Options
  • 10-08-2009 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

will someone please explain to me what the whole row over pharmacies & the HSE is about and why chemists are closed? I went to my local chemist today and there was a sign (written by the owner) saying that they had to go on strike. Who and why would force the owner to do this? I'm well in truely lost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

no..he chose to close his store

I think they decided to clsoe on a few days in order to go and campaign at local TD, at least that was the sign on my local chemist

noone forced him to close...although he probably makes out that Mary harney "forced" him to close

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

Not an expert on this, but some pharmacists are much more dependent than others on drugs schemes like the methadone scheme, medical card scheme, drugs payment scheme. Depends on their customers which depends on location of the pharmacy. Some pharmacists would be put out of business because of it and others would not be affected. It's not as simple as taxi style deregulation.

A group of pharmacists won a high court case over this last year.

As I said, not an expert. You'd probably get better replies in the medicine forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Basically the HSE decided the pharmacists were getting too much money for certain services and cut it so they went on strike. They have a point. There was people getting 80k a year straight out of college which is nuts

Advertisement