Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISOFIX car seats in a Ford Focus CMax...

Options
  • 10-08-2009 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble choosing a car seat for our first baby, perhaps someone here can help...

I bought a 2006 Ford Focus C-MAX Activ from a ford dealer a few weeks ago, who fitted the optional ISOFIX fittings in the back seat. He told me the car was ISOFIX compatible, one of the reasons I decided to go for it.

I'm about to order a car seat for our new arrival (due oct 4th ! ) and I'm running into a bit of hassle. The car seat we've chosen, a mama's and papa's one, has an isofix base with an arm which reaches to the floor for support. However, the focus c-max has a false floor, and as such the guys in the car seat shop say that it is not suitable. Seems crazy considering the isofix connections are available.

So, does anyone know if this is safe? A guy in the shop also mentioned that he heard it was possible to get some sort of block that fills the gap in the false floor, giving it extra support, which then makes it compatible.

The seatbelt isn't long enough to get a base which is attached to the seatbelt... it looks like the only option is to get a car seat where the seatbelt will wrap around it (without any base).

Any comments / suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Hi, my oh drives a ford focus and we had the same problem with his seat belts being too short. in the end he happened upon the "rebel pro 'Jane' car seat" and his seat belt fits it. also a newborn is able to fit in it quite comfortably.rebelprocarseat.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

brian_rbk wrote: »
    I'm about to order a car seat for our new arrival (due oct 4th ! ) and I'm running into a bit of hassle. The car seat we've chosen, a mama's and papa's one, has an isofix base with an arm which reaches to the floor for support. However, the focus c-max has a false floor, and as such the guys in the car seat shop say that it is not suitable. Seems crazy considering the isofix connections are available.

Thanks

The "leg" that gos on the floor is only to stop the seat from tilting forward.It doesnt even take any of the weight of the child or the seat.
    Once the seat is an isofix seat and the car has isofix fittings the seat will work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 em23

hi - just wondering if anyone knows whether or not the isofix base for baby car seat fits into the 1996 Merc E220 ? Having a baby in a few weeks so need to get this sorted, base is needed as the seat belt wont fit across the car seat...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Hellrazer wrote: »
    The "leg" that gos on the floor is only to stop the seat from tilting forward.It doesnt even take any of the weight of the child or the seat.
    Once the seat is an isofix seat and the car has isofix fittings the seat will work.

No, not the case. The sales assistant was correct in telling you that a false floor isn't suitable for the leg.
    The leg "digs" into the floor with the gforces that occur on impact and if there is a false floor then this will give the seat more room to move and could be the cause of injury to the baby.

I don't know whether a false floor can be filled - the garage will have to answer you there.

If it's a case that it's not possible you will have to use a belt in infant carrier....but when your child outgrows the infant carrier and moves into a forward facing car seat there are options with isofix seats with "top tether" connections. Britax have a couple in their range that are suitable for this.

em23 wrote: »
    hi - just wondering if anyone knows whether or not the isofix base for baby car seat fits into the 1996 Merc E220 ? Having a baby in a few weeks so need to get this sorted, base is needed as the seat belt wont fit across the car seat...

No, unless your car had isofix retrofitted then a 1996 car wouldn't have it as it was only developed in 1998. Majority of cars from 2002 would have had it as either standard or an optional extra.

Edit - if you are having trouble getting a car seat to fit - maybe a belt in base would be your best option. Maxi Cosi, Britax and Graco all have belt in options available.
    Also try putting your car make & model into Maxi Cosi or Britax fit finders and they will tell you whether any of their seats are suitable for your car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

No, not the case. The sales assistant was correct in telling you that a false floor isn't suitable for the leg.
    The leg "digs" into the floor with the gforces that occur on impact and if there is a false floor then this will give the seat more room to move and could be the cause of injury to the baby.

I don't know whether a false floor can be filled - the garage will have to answer you there.

If it's a case that it's not possible you will have to use a belt in infant carrier....but when your child outgrows the infant carrier and moves into a forward facing car seat there are options with isofix seats with "top tether" connections. Britax have a couple in their range that are suitable for this.

Sorry I disagree.Ive been at this game for almost 20 years and that leg that extends to the floor is solely to stop the seat tilting forward in the event of a sudden stop.
    You can actually extend that leg so that it rests against the back of the front seat if it doesnt reach the floor.

As for the isofix base on its own.That would be fine in any car that has the isofix brackets installed.
    For example Volvos own genuine car seats(which are Brittax seats) dont come with that extendable leg.Actually for that matter either do Fords or Honda`s own range of seats.
    Some car seat manufacturers even say that you dont need to use the "leg" if they wont reach as the isofix bracket should hold the seat securely to the floor of the car behind the seats.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Sorry I disagree.Ive been at this game for almost 20 years and that leg that extends to the floor is solely to stop the seat tilting forward in the event of a sudden stop.
    You can actually extend that leg so that it rests against the back of the front seat if it doesnt reach the floor.

As for the isofix base on its own.That would be fine in any car that has the isofix brackets installed.
    For example Volvos own genuine car seats(which are Brittax seats) dont come with that extendable leg.Actually for that matter either do Fords or Honda`s own range of seats.
    Some car seat manufacturers even say that you dont need to use the "leg" if they wont reach as the isofix bracket should hold the seat securely to the floor of the car behind the seats.

Any training I have ever attended regarding the fitting of car seats by the major car seat manufacturers have stated that false floors and isofix "legs"are incompatable and they have "top tether" isofix options to get around this.

I don't know where you are getting your information that the "leg" is unnecessary - all training that I have had and literature I have to hand is completely the opposite. The leg prevents rotation of the car seat - including the new pivot link system introduced by britax.

In the maxi cosi priorifix instructions for use and warrenty booklet it states the following:

"IMPORTANT! Always use the support leg to ensure the safe use of the Maxi Cosi Priorifix"

in the Britax Safefix instructions it states:

"Caution! The supporting leg must never be suspended in mid air or supported by other objects"

I would still advise against using a leg on a car with a false floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

brian_rbk wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble choosing a car seat for our first baby, perhaps someone here can help...

I bought a 2006 Ford Focus C-MAX Activ from a ford dealer a few weeks ago, who fitted the optional ISOFIX fittings in the back seat. He told me the car was ISOFIX compatible, one of the reasons I decided to go for it.

So, does anyone know if this is safe? A guy in the shop also mentioned that he heard it was possible to get some sort of block that fills the gap in the false floor, giving it extra support, which then makes it compatible.

The seatbelt isn't long enough to get a base which is attached to the seatbelt... it looks like the only option is to get a car seat where the seatbelt will wrap around it (without any base).

Any comments / suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Hi, if it's the M&P Primo Viaggio car seat then would the surefix base (seat belt goes in base and around the back then?). I have it in our Hyundai Accent and the seat belt would not fit around it without the base but with the base it gives just enough seat belt to fit around the back to hold in the car seat.

Advertisement