Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doing Machu Pichu without a tour

• 10-08-2009 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

I only have 2 weeks left in South America so not sure I want to spend 3 or 4 days on a trek. Has anyone any experience of doing Machu Pichu themselves ? i.e getting a train to Aguas Corlientes (sp?) and walking up in the morning. How much does it cost etc ? I have a student card if that makes a difference.

Its possible to do it by car from Cusco for around 100 dollars.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

just back from there myself depends what you wanna do to be honest if you wanna trek through the jungle to get to it like the classic inca trail its not really possible and if you wanna just see the ruins it is possible to just jump on a bus for 2 dollars and they take you up, the tour i did involved hiking and mountain biking up to it so it was a bit of both but to be honest trying to do it yourself is a pain in a hole and not worth it, the roads are **** dont even attempt to go up em with a rental car that would be crazy with all the buses too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Just did that trip a few weeks back. I got abus to a place called Ollantaytambo which has a train station 2 hours further up the line from Cusco. You must change collective in a town nearby to get there, the cost altpgether is about 3-4 soles. Backpacker trains stop there several times a day, cost is approx $62 return- you can book on Peru Rails website and print your tickets out.
    Then some people will get up around 4-5am and hike up the mountain to get to the gate before the buses arrive about 7am. It is about a 1 hour hike. You should do this so you can be guranteed a place to climb Wayna Pichu- only the first 400 people there each morning are permitted to do so.

I dont think it is possibke to get a student discount for Peru Rail but it is possiblke for the Machu Pichu ticket which is around 65 sols if iirc rather than 120 something for the full price. Technically you must have a ISIC card but I still got one with my regular uni student card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

I'd defintiely advise getting there early enough for the Wayna Picchu part. It's a fair little trek but I loved it, despite it being so foggy at the top.

Advertisement