Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance on two cars

• 10-08-2009 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

ok I know this has been dealt with in other threads before but I'd like some help opinions on my current or future situation.

I plan on having two cars in the near future, one fun/weekend car and another car for putting up the miles.

I am a 26 year old male.
    4 years NCB
    2 points, but there off in 2 months

Using my NCB I can get insurance on the weekend car no problem.

However I recently tried to get insurance quotes by putting in details of a 2002 Ford Focus TDDI valued at €5000 and my details but without my NCB and to my shock I couldn't get a quote?

So how do people get insurance on two cars at one time without getting completely ripped off?

Is there a better way I can get two cars insured?

If I rang the company and stated I actually have NCB but have it on another policy would it make a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

draffodx wrote:
    If I rang the company and stated I actually have NCB but have it on another policy would it make a difference?
    I'd say it definetly would, if you put in 0 NCB it would probably assume you've never driven/never had cover.

Still I wouldn't expect the quotes to be cheap. If I were in your position it would suit me down to the ground, as I'd be looking at an older car as my weekend car and just put it on a classic policy.

Your other options are DOC or a trade policy although the former is a "grey area" and the latter could be expensive (admittadly I have little knowlegde on it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

the only way i know that works, and few lads around here do it, is the third party extension with quinn direct, get a quote on that focus tddi, and you can drive any other car as long as its nct'd and taxed and you don't own it, in this case your weekend car,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

pablosd wrote: »
    the only way i know that works, and few lads around here do it, is the third party extension with quinn direct, get a quote on that focus tddi, and you can drive any other car as long as its nct'd and taxed and you don't own it, in this case your weekend car,

but somebody else has to own the other car dont they?

Only problem is if his weekend car is an €11k RX7 and it gets stolen/vandalised/burnt out

Yes, it can't be registered in your name.

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Only problem is if his weekend car is an €11k RX7 and it gets stolen/vandalised/burnt out

Yes, it can't be registered in your name.

How did you know!? :D

Currently with Quinn on the ITR,

123.ie offer a very competitive rate for the Rx7 standard, waiting to hear back from them about modifications.

So I had hoped to move the NCB over to them then get a policy on the diesel Focus with whoever was the cheapest with 0 NCB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭thebiglad

DOC is not really an option - the car must be registered to someone else and the cover under this extension only covers accident liability to others, if the car is stolen etc whilst unattended then there is no cover, effectively, you leave the car in the street and it is uninsured and you (or the registered owner) are liable to prosecution!

Additionally, check cover terms carefully, insurers are wise to this and many now require the vehicle to be insured in it's own right in order for DOC to be applicable, in the event of a claims proof will be required.

Speak to traditional insurance brokers, one may be able to supply a realistic option to your requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭pablosd

thebiglad wrote: »

Additionally, check cover terms carefully, insurers are wise to this and many now require the vehicle to be insured in it's own right in order for DOC to be applicable, in the event of a claims proof will be required.

i was talking them in quinn and asked exactly, and the other car does not have to be insured, funny enough when i received the booklet from quinn and opened on a page regarding 3rd party extension it says tha car cannot be covered by someone else or somthing stupid like dat.

Yeah in case ur car got stolen or burned you would be fu**ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

i was talking them in quinn and asked exactly, and the other car does not have to be insured, funny enough when i received the booklet from quinn and opened on a page regarding 3rd party extension it says tha car cannot be covered by someone else or somthing stupid like dat.

Yeah, this is because if cover is provided on another policy then it supercedes Quinn's 3rd party only cover.

Incidentely in the UK the car must be insured as well as the driver, but here in Ireland its still only the driver who must be insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 CleoD

There are some car insurers that will give you the benefit of the doubt and gfive you a discount on your second car using the NCB you have on the other. However these companies will not deal with the public directly, they only deal with brokers. Setanta, ARB and Kennco spring to mind.

Take note that you should also ring a few different brokers as they will all have different deals done with companies, therefore have different rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

CleoD wrote: »
    There are some car insurers that will give you the benefit of the doubt and gfive you a discount on your second car using the NCB you have on the other. However these companies will not deal with the public directly, they only deal with brokers. Setanta, ARB and Kennco spring to mind.

The brother done this a few years ago, went through a broker and used his main policy to shadow the new policy. It was cheaper than a policy with 0 NCB, but it wasn't a massive discount.

The brother got very lucky, when his renewal came up on the second policy, the statement said he had 5 years full NCB (his main policy was 5 yr's NCB), so he just took that to a different company and got dirty cheap insurance on his second cars.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

draffodx wrote: »
    So how do people get insurance on two cars at one time without getting completely ripped off?
    ...you don't.......
    Is there a better way I can get two cars insured?
    ...nope...
    .....I suppose you can try appealing to their better nature...........:rolleyes:....that FBD ad comes to mind.......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Has anyone looked into insurance NCD "mirroring"? Apparently you can carry your NCB onto another (weekend) car. Not too sure how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭YozzerHughes

Was speaking to a few brokers yesterday on this very issue.

FirstIreland seemed to be the most on the ball/ imaginative.

I need class 2 insurance for my main driving and am looking at something fun for the weekend.

Classic is definitley worth looking at. Can get a 5L beast for €50 tax about €300 insurance and €50 for owners club. (over 30 years old)

They will consider a 15 year old BMW, merc etc a classic if it is over 15 years. Full tax and NCT applies though obv.

Worth a call.

My uncle is insuring two cars at the moment without any problem. He bought a new car and couldnt shift the old car and didnt want to leave it idle. He said he was able to cover the 2nd car for very little extra and it was worth it just to give it a drive every so often. I dont know who he is with though and both cars are fairly small engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Draffo, at your age I would give consideration to a trade policy. John Power in Limerick covers a huge portion of the country's trade policys. A couple of my mates are with him for quite reasonable rates.

Give him a buzz! 061226722

^^ seems very reasonable

just rang for myself there, bit of a backlog on quotes so they'll take your number and get back to ya

whats the catch on the trade policies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

whats the catch on the trade policies?

Exactly there must be or everyone would have one!

• Advertisement

irlmarc wrote: »
    Exactly there must be or everyone would have one!

upon looking up the website it seems I would have to be somewhat involved in the car trade.

I'd rather be properly insured and not insured in a somewhat grey area

"trade policy" would suggest that you buy or sell cars. They asked me this, i said i change cars regularly and would have 2 or 3 cars at my house at anyone time. No im not vat registered and don't have a premises.

No lies in the above, trade policys tend to be a wee bit more expensive than normal policies

Can a private individual not get fleet in ireland? Say you had two cars and your partner had one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Motor Traders policy would imply that this is your full time occuaption.

If you take out a motor traders policy and have an accident. When the insurance company finds out that you are employed as e.g plumber you wont get a penny.

There are Part-time Motor trade policies but these seem to work out more expensive than full-time as you would still need to insure your daily commuter vehicle separtely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

irlmarc wrote: »
    Can a private individual not get fleet in ireland? Say you had two cars and your partner had one?

Nope. I have 2 x cars, and my SO has 2 x cars. 4 policies.

And that's before we even start with the 'bikes...........:(

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Nope. I have 2 x cars, and my SO has 2 x cars. 4 policies.

And that's before we even start with the 'bikes...........:(

So whats the deciding factor? Do you have to have a vat number? or is it that it is being used for private?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

We managed it by dp being insured on one with me being named driver, then him being named driver on my insurance when we got the second car... Quinn give NCD for named driving experiance so i got insurance for the same price as he would have despite having no NCB.

Ring quinn and ask them if they can help you, hey might be able to give you the named driving experiance discount or something on the second car?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 CleoD

Classic is definitley worth looking at. Can get a 5L beast for €50 tax about €300 insurance and €50 for owners club. (over 30 years old)

Have to have full 5 year bonus for Classic Car insurance, and car has to be over 15 years old.

CoDy1 wrote: »
    Motor Traders policy would imply that this is your full time occuaption.

If you take out a motor traders policy and have an accident. When the insurance company finds out that you are employed as e.g plumber you wont get a penny.

There are Part-time Motor trade policies but these seem to work out more expensive than full-time as you would still need to insure your daily commuter vehicle separtely.

Not necessarily, when getting my quote i simply stated that i sell cars from home from time to time, and change cars a lot.

My full time occupation was stated as insurance broker.

• Advertisement

it turns out quinn do offer a mirrored bonus scheme however I've to send my policy number in to see if I'm eligible.
    Thank you for your e-mail dated 11th August 2009.

I can confirm we do offer a "Mirrored Discount Scheme" however this is
    based on a number of terms and conditions, in order to assess you
    eligibility please forward your policy number so your query may be dealt
    with as soon as possible? If you are unable to get this information, can
    you please forward your name, full address, date of birth and car
    registration number so your file can be located.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭YozzerHughes

CleoD wrote: »
    Have to have full 5 year bonus for Classic Car insurance, and car has to be over 15 years old.

Yes. And not every car over 15 years only premium brands with them. 20+ if not a BMW merc jag etc

Advertisement