Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Havana Club 3yr €20.99 @ Supervalue

Options
  • 10-08-2009 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

The other week Superquinn had Havana Club 3years on sale for €20.99 and now Supervalue have it.

b40cf97c063ee791676ff9281c7aa957_thumb.jpg

It's a realy really nice rum and for the price that's a good deal :)
    Great for Mojitos :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

good price, I love the stuff. one of the best value spirits over here IMO, always seems to be relatively cheap here, think it is 23/24 in o'briens usually. I wish people would try this instead of bacardi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Yep. I switched a while ago. Barcardi "Superior" is so devoid of taste and in comparison with this gorgeous Havana Club aw man :). It's lovely in a simple Cuba Libra too. Don't know why or how it's sold at €21 but I ain't complaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

mmmmmm, communism :D

might nip to my local supervalu tomorrow

Barcardi's Cuban as well , sort of. The company of course didn't go down well with the govt.

I recommend a Fidel Mojito. Make your mojito as normal but instead of soda water top up with a splash of fizzy beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Barcardi's Cuban as well , sort of. The company of course didn't go down well with the govt.
    Other way round: Bacardi voluntarily relocated to Bermuda in 1961 when the government attempted to nationalise it.

'Course Havana Club's only 50% communist. Pernod-Ricard own the other half.

• Advertisement

These days I am drinking barcardi oro. It is very nice, and not as "dark" tasting as it looks. I think many are put off "coloured rums" since the first dark rum they try is that "old jamacian seadog" stuff you get in offies here, bacardi black is much nicer, and oro is lovely.
    http://www.anybooze.com/bacardi-oro-rum-172-p.asp

I was in Germany and got loads of litre bottles, €11 a pop I think and that was NOT duty free, therefore I had a higher limit (not sure what the limits are, think I got 6 or 8 bottles! but went to a few shops in the airport in case they did say something). That is like €7.70 per 700ml, I expect bacardai oro would be at least 3 times that here. A flight can pay for itself, think mine was €110 and it is not like it is hard to carry 8 bottles, compared to the equivalent in beer.

Must go again when it runs out, with the cheap beer over there too its cheaper than staying here for the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

rubadub wrote: »
    I was in Germany and got loads of litre bottles, €11 a pop I think and that was NOT duty free, therefore I had a higher limit (not sure what the limits are, think I got 6 or 8 bottles! but went to a few shops in the airport in case they did say something). That is like €7.70 per 700ml, I expect bacardai oro would be at least 3 times that here. A flight can pay for itself, think mine was €110 and it is not like it is hard to carry 8 bottles, compared to the equivalent in beer.
    You'll get flights for about €20 tops with Ryanair in and out of Frankfurt Hahn if you want to do a bit of airport shopping. Last time I was there it was lovely and cheap.

Only problem is that it's nearer Belgium than it is Frankfurt :P But there's a bus...(that's if you want to say a few days).

It might make a worthwhile excursion to refill the cabinet. I think you can pretty much bring as much as you can carry.

Sean_K wrote: »
    a bit of airport shopping..
    The other thing about shopping in the actual airport is you can do it after you have checked in the bags etc. For some reason they never seem to give a damn about what is in duty free bags, so you can be hugely overwieght. I expect each glass 1L bottle is 1.5kg each, if you bought in supermarkets you might be stung for a hefty fee if you are overweight. This way you could bring an empty bag through security, fill it up with heavy booze, and get several more duty free bags full on too.

Now if I could find an offie willing to swop them for beer too it would be a real winner! some have different labelling, but not all AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

BeerNut wrote: »
    Other way round: Bacardi voluntarily relocated to Bermuda in 1961 when the government attempted to nationalise it.

'Course Havana Club's only 50% communist. Pernod-Ricard own the other half.

If you are ever in Havana a visit to the Bacardi Building is a must - it's been recently restored to it's art deco glory. As is a visit to the Rum Museum.

You'll get flights for about €20 tops with Ryanair in and out of Frankfurt Hahn if you want to do a bit of airport shopping. Last time I was there it was lovely and cheap.

Only problem is that it's nearer Belgium than it is Frankfurt :P But there's a bus...(that's if you want to say a few days).

It might make a worthwhile excursion to refill the cabinet. I think you can pretty much bring as much as you can carry.

If you are travelling out of the EU then the Havana Club 3 Year Old is only €10 a bottle.

• Advertisement

MediaTank wrote: »
    If you are ever in Havana a visit to the Bacardi Building is a must - it's been recently restored to it's art deco glory. As is a visit to the Rum Museum.
    Yeah, I was in both last year. I was amused at how the bar in the Bacardi Building has, of course, no Bacardi.

I was amused at how the bar in the Bacardi Building has, of course, no Bacardi.
    I'm amused there is no decent guinness in the bar in the guinness brewry! and then disgusted at the fact that they charge more for a pint than their spokespeople say it should cost. e.g. in interviews in the news you will hear them say a pint is going up 5cent, and so should be €x price, but they always charge more whenever I have gone, which is quite a few times, usually since business meetings are had there.

I'm amused there is no decent guinness in the bar in the guinness brewry!
    They do everything they can to hide the fact that there is such a thing as decent Guinness. I'm guessing the margins on it are far less than on the draught nitro.

Though I believe Foreign Extra is sold at the Storehouse giftshop.

Didn't know what you meant at first there! I was really saying I have never got a decent pint of draught. But yes, I never even though of the fact that they should really have every brand & type of guinness available.

I remember getting a pint bottle in a local pub and my mates GF was genuinely shocked, big worried head on her and said "what are you doing with that??" really concerned for some odd reason... As she drank her corona with a lime stuck in the neck.

Ryanair have started charging you extra for more than one hand luggage bag. There's always hidden charges with that lot.
    I'm amused there is no decent guinness in the bar in the guinness brewry! and then disgusted at the fact that they charge more for a pint than their spokespeople say it should cost. e.g. in interviews in the news you will hear them say a pint is going up 5cent, and so should be €x price, but they always charge more whenever I have gone, which is quite a few times, usually since business meetings are had there.

Indeed. I took my one and only ever trip there for free - free passes courtesy of a friend who worked there. The pint in the "cash bar" was ok but the pint from the gravity bar tasted different and not in a good way. The gravity bar's a con anyways. The tourists get their pint, take a little sip, get a photo with it and then they leave the full pint behind!!

Surely though it's not the Guinness Brewery anyway , it's the "Storehouse" isn't it ? Or is there a part in the brewery for meetings ?
    Didn't know what you meant at first there! I was really saying I have never got a decent pint of draught. But yes, I never even though of the fact that they should really have every brand & type of guinness available.

I remember getting a pint bottle in a local pub and my mates GF was genuinely shocked, big worried head on her and said "what are you doing with that??" really concerned for some odd reason... As she drank her corona with a lime stuck in the neck.

Was she shocked you were drinking the "extra stout" ? I grew up with the fear that they were for the hardcore oldtimers and anyone who drank one would somehow turn into some mythical beast or some shite like that.

I prefer the extra stout to a draught now but I'm on a diageo/Guinness fast at the moment.

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    The gravity bar's a con anyways. The tourists get their pint, take a little sip, get a photo with it and then they leave the full pint behind!!
    Sounds like a good idea to me. The view is the only worthwhile part of the whole deal.

Though I believe Foreign Extra is sold at the Storehouse giftshop.

It is at a very resonable €2 per bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It is at a very resonable €2 per bottle.

That's about what a bottle Havana Club is sold for in Cuba:P

It's 3 CUC per bottle which is about €2.50, so near enough.

It's 3 CUC per bottle which is about €2.50, so near enough.

Ah stop! :pac:

I think this special offer on the Havana's only on for a week so till this weekend I think.

Wouldn't mind seeing a special offer on the 7 year too :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement