Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrets

Options
  • 10-08-2009 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm wondering, if it is true that if you neuter your ferret, it smells considerably less?

If not, is there any way to reduce the smell. I know not to wash it too often and to clean it out every morning and night. Any other ways?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Neutering them is best to stop the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

I believe this is especially true when it comes to male ferrits.

There is a product similar to kitty-litter designed for rabbits and ferrits that soaks up the urine and locks in the smell, although I'm not sure how effective it is. Most decent petshops will sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

Nuetering them will help a lot, especially with males. As far as I know it'll take a bit of time after neutering to see a differance. There's a lot of other things to consider for reducing the smell aswell. Keeping their bedding clean will help alot... use fleece blankets for bedding and throw them in the washing machine once a week with a half cup of vinegar in the drum along with the detergent or whatever. I find its the litter tray that causes most smells with my ferrets, I scoop it out twice a day and disinfect it weekly. The litter tray can also smell worse depending on what they are eating... a raw diet will produce less waste so less smell... a high quality ferret kibble will be better than the lower quality ones... things like fish will obviously effect the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Thanks

Advertisement