Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baroque style keyboard inventions

Options
  • 10-08-2009 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi!

Does anyone know of a good book/website to get information on writing short Baroque Style Keyboard Inventions??? I have a basis but need some extra pointers to be sure I am on the right track.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Bach's two-part inventions are the best guide. Just study what he does with the subject (exactly what key he presents it in and where) and the contrasting material he derives from this and then try writing your own if you're brave enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

No. 8 ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Doshea3 wrote: »
    Bach's two-part inventions are the best guide.

Wont that just give you pointers for Bach style keyboard inventions? The Baroque was bigger than Bach.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Did Bach not coin the term 'invention' for such a piece, and as such invent (no pun intended) the genre of keyboard invention, and therefore create the perfect examples of the form?

And if you want a good example of invention-writing, No. 8 is okay (despite Rob's obsession), but I find No. 1 to be one of the best examples of pure writing in this genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Its very difficult to write these perfectly in Bach's style but well worth the effort. You learn alot about development of simple motives and counter-motives, but studying these really improved my sequential writing, and hence my understanding of modulation.

What they mostly did though was reaffirm my belief that Bach was the greatest composer ever. I know they're quite basic counterpoint, but te simplicity is they're strength. Assignments I did in these took me quite some time to start with, whereas Bach probably wrote a couple before breakfast.

Bex2, could you post some up when you write them, I'd love to see them! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement