Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ragwort scourge

• 10-08-2009 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

how do ye feel about the lack of cop on both farmers and local councils have in controling the spread of ragwort. i spray and pull any along the ditches in my fields,but most of the neighbours dont even top the bitchen things. even in silage ground they dont even pull the whores along the headlands when they flower. afaik its an offence not to at least keep them under control..discussion welcome..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

They are a scourge. in my younger days I spent summer after summer pulling them in our fields. Its was hardship, but well worth the effort. Every summer we'd have bright yellow fields. Topping them was no good cos the cattle would eat them as they died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Just spent 2 days pulling the damn things. Frustrates me to see the road margins and rented land next door absolutely covered with them.

R1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Is it any good spraying them with Mortone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

adne wrote: »
    Is it any good spraying them with Mortone

They are biennials! take two years to get to the tall flowered plant we see in the fields. In the first year they are at the rosette stage. That is the best time to hit them chemically. best done when they are nice and visible. Say Feb / March.

R1

Your screwed if the neighbours fields are covered in them too. The seeds will keep blowing in. It might be an idea to get together with your neighbouring farms to tackle the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

Spent a few days on my holidays last week from the work pulling the stuff hope it makes a difference, in most cases i got most of the roots aswell with the ground been a bit soft.
    If there was little bits of the roots left will they still grow back or just die off?

F.D wrote: »
    Spent a few days on my holidays last week from the work pulling the stuff hope it makes a difference, in most cases i got most of the roots aswell with the ground been a bit soft.
    If there was little bits of the roots left will they still grow back or just die off?

They'll grow back, but growth will be stunted a bit for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭bagaspuds

Our fields were covered in them once. We have hardly any now.
    The only way is to pull them up and take them out of the field.

I even pull them from the road margins near me!

They'll only seed into your land......the council ain't going to tackle them.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭jonny d

not very easy to approach some people and suggest that they take some remedial action.I think the dept. should take more notice of this when inspecting SFP and REPs rather than some of the so called regulations they check up on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i spent this morning pulling them most hateful job EVER !!! we had sprayed them but they came back ... have to do more tomorrow

• Advertisement
Advertisement