Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying Land From Coillte

• 11-08-2009 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi Folks, I have a question I was hoping someone here could answer for me. I am looking to buy a few acres of forest from Coillte. First of all will they sell it to me? And if so what could I expect to pay for it?

Thanks

D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

they won't sell it.... whydo u want to buy it, why not buy land and plant it yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Johnnyr

adne wrote: »
    they won't sell it.... whydo u want to buy it, why not buy land and plant it yourself

If the price is right Coillte will sell it. They sold 567 ha in 2008.

They rarely advertise land for sale, but if they are approached to sell an area, it is considered. To ensure that there is transparency in the sales process, Coillte will advertise the piece of land that you are interested in. This will ensure that Coillte get the best value for public lands. The person who originally enquired may have to compete with other interested parties. Thats how the process worked 5-6 yrs ago anyway, it may have changed since.

As for what to expect to pay for it. Thats very difficult to answer, too many unknowns..... size, developement potential, land quality, forest present, etc., etc.

They have a Property Sales section in the HQ at Newtownmountkennedy, 01 2011111.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I know someone that wanted to buy back 20 acres that their parents sold in the sixties. No way would they sell it back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

Hi Folks, I have a question I was hoping someone here could answer for me. I am looking to buy a few acres of forest from Coillte. First of all will they sell it to me? And if so what could I expect to pay for it?
    Which county are you interested in? Im researching the market myself at the moment.

The whole of coillte could be up for sale soon ... how much would a million acres cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

what use do you intend to make of land that hs been planted and felled over the years???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

adne wrote: »
    what use do you intend to make of land that hs been planted and felled over the years???

Normally it would be classed forestry and/or forestry-recreation (which might open it to other non-agricultural uses). The big problem tends to be insurance issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ger555

Hi all,

I was thinking of purchasing 1 to 2 acres of forestry in carlow which has some road frontage. The plan would be to construct a timber house on this land in the future. I'm from the general area so should be able to get planning permission. I know the land is zoned does anyone think this would be a problem??

I know of two people in my county that have recently bought land from coillte, however they are using the land for agricultural purposes.

Anyone have experience of purchasing land from coillte??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Ger555 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was thinking of purchasing 1 to 2 acres of forestry in carlow which has some road frontage. The plan would be to construct a timber house on this land in the future. I'm from the general area so should be able to get planning permission. I know the land is zoned does anyone think this would be a problem??

I know of two people in my county that have recently bought land from coillte, however they are using the land for agricultural purposes.

I know a few people my self that use Coillte land for agricultural purposes :D:D:D:cool::cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ger555 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just because you're from the area -do not automatically assume that you're going to get planning permission. Its very much under the spotlight at present- particularly in respect of one-off housing, and there is a large oversupply of vacant property in the Carlow/Laois area (at rapidly depreciating prices).

Further- Coillte have had issues with access rights on some property they sold- and might not be willing to let go a large area of road frontage- as it greatly increases their harvesting costs.

Ultimately all you can do is take a punt- Coillte have a property sales unit in the Newtownmountkennedy office- give them a ring and see what happens.

S.

• Advertisement
Advertisement