Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

America's 'Cash For Clunkers' Scrappage Scheme

• 11-08-2009 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭

This video is on Youtube and has caused controversy on the internet all around the world. What they've done is basically destroy a perfectly fine S80 T6 with below average mileage by pouring sodium in the engine and running it at 2000 rpm until the engine pops, which is extremely un-environmentally friendly.

I'd advise not to watch this video if of a sensitive disposition regarding cars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waj2KrKYTZo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....they've been doing this at bike rally's (H-D's) for years: getting some old Honda, draining the oil out of it, and starting it and revving it to destruction.

Remarkably, it usually runs for longer without stopping before most of the crap the audience arrived on...............;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can hear the engine crying for mercy as they kill it. :(

Stupid yanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

f**ksake, Absolute waste. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

bazz26 wrote: »
    You can hear the engine crying for mercy as they kill it. :(

Stupid yanks.
    Cionád wrote: »
    f**ksake, Absolute waste. :mad:

Believe it or not, what they did there they have to do to every car that goes through the scheme. That Volvo is probably the nicest and least deserving car to go through the scheme so far.

By the way, I'm not an angry person. But I really want to cause those guys such pain in the video!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..ok, just watched it. FFS - that is disgusting.

Is someone telling me this is a US Govt sanctioned act? Un-****ing-believable. To destroy anything is a waste - to destroy a perfectly good thing is.......a crime, plain and simple.

I notice a line of cars with their bonnets up in the video - are all these for the same treatment as well ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I doubt that was a CARS candidate, I suspect it got much more than 18MPG which is the guideline.
    The scheme is a farce though, lets fix a debt problem with yet more debt against a depreciating asset and take some still driveable cars off the road.

/edit Assuming it is in fact a 1999 S80, it does not qualify according to cars.gov. So I'mm not sure whats going on here..

I doubt that was a CARS candidate, I suspect it got much more than 18MPG which is the guideline.
    The scheme is a farce though, lets fix a debt problem with yet more debt against a depreciating asset and take some still driveable cars off the road.

/edit Assuming it is in fact a 1999 S80, it does not qualify according to cars.gov. So I'mm not sure whats going on here..

It has 18 US MPG as the combined figure, I think its a 2000.
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/CarsResult1.jsp?column=1&id=15979
    http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/noframes/15979.shtml

so it does qualify, malheureusement :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

explain me plz, whats this sceme is all about and how it wokrs?

Its only madness that i see so far!!!+

The Car Allowance Rebate System (CARS), colloquially known as "Cash for Clunkers," is a U.S. federal scrappage program intended to provide economic incentives to U.S. residents to purchase a new, more fuel efficient vehicle when trading in a less fuel efficient vehicle

# Vehicle must be less than 25 years old on the trade-in date.
    # Only the purchase or 5 year minimum lease of new vehicles qualify.
    # Generally, trade-in vehicles must get a weighted combined average rating of 18 or fewer MPG (some very large pickup trucks and cargo vans have different requirements).
    # Trade-in vehicles must be registered and insured continuously for the full year preceding the trade-in.
    # Trade-in vehicles must be in driveable condition.
    # The program runs from July 1, 2009 until Nov 1, 2009 or when the funds are exhausted, whichever comes first.
    # The program requires the scrapping of the eligible trade-in vehicle and that the dealer disclose to the customer an estimate of the scrap value of the trade-in. The scrap value, however minimal, will be in addition to the rebate, and not in place of the rebate.
    # The new car bought under the plan must have a suggested retail price of no more than $45,000, and for passenger automobiles, the new vehicle must have a combined fuel economy value of at least 22 miles per gallon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Allowance_Rebate_System

22 MPG!!??, they're really going to change the world there...

I like the comparison to the parable of the broken window: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I posted about this recently.

I don't understand the scheme. How can a Volvo that young qualify. Should they not be trying to qualify older cars and get them of the road? Which in it self is a hame also, depending on the car.

22MPG isn't a lot, neither is 18MPG, I can't see how destroying a car and building a new one if better for the environment than running an older car for a few more years :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

VolvoMan wrote: »

I'd advise not to watch this video if of a sensitive disposition regarding cars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waj2KrKYTZo

True, i watched it a few weeks ago and i t genuinely made me sad:(

And 22mpg, for the new cars, FFS! 95% of road cars in this country beat that in real terms! I though Obama was going to make a better job of it than this!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

a thinly veiled rescue plan for the car industry, nothing more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yet another reason to back up the sweeping generalisation "Americans are total idiots".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

The car was a top of the range T6 model which was just barely eligible for the scheme afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

VolvoMan wrote: »
    The car was a top of the range T6 model which was just barely eligible for the scheme afaik.

Really A T6? Thats feckin rediculous! Its a silly scheme alright, should be interesting to see how the dust settles when its over/money runs out. Oddly enough both of the 1999 S80s are ineligible but one of the 2000's (Not sure which one) is.

TBH honest ive been "bullin" over this "idea" since I heard about it. I would wager in most cases its not better for the environment (the whole "it takes energy to make a new car" thing) and its not better financially for a lot of the goons buying them either.
    bigkev49 wrote:
    Yet another reason to back up the sweeping generalisation "Americans are total idiots".

That statement says more about yourself than Americans TBH, but I digress..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

bigkev49 wrote: »

I totaly agree.

While many people in other parts of the world are driving 20 to 30 old bangers and can only dream of affording car like that, these bastards destroy a perfectly normal and good quality car for nothing. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

a us gallon is smaller than an imperial gallon that we use , the money for cash for clunkers 1 billion dollars was used in the first 10 days they are trying to get another 2 billion to continue the scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

This scheme is all about the car industry and has nothing to do with the environment really.

I'm quite sure the environmental impact of that Volvo over the next 10 years would be much lower than the environmental impact of producing a car and running it for the next 10 years.

22 US MPG is 26.42 Uk MPG, my 19 year old bmw does better than that :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

jozi wrote: »
    26.42 Uk MPG,

That really is pathetic ffs!:(

It actually makes me angry! Have they not noticed yet that over here in Europe, that we can get as much power from 4 pot engines, than get in their V6's

I really though Obama was going to do something about this mpg problem in the US, not this rubbish that has resulted. the minimum for this scheme should have been at least 35mpg UK(whatever that is in their logic). That would be some kind of step up, i guess!:rolleyes:

Advertisement