Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Tyrone village driven mad by British army helicopters'

Options
  • 11-08-2009 2:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

From yesterday's Sunday Tribune (available online today here: http://www.tribune.ie/news/home-news/article/2009/aug/09/tyrone-village-driven-mad-by-british-army-helicopt/):

Suzanne Breen, Northern Editor
    AFGHANISTAN_Troops_10125901_display.jpg
    Afghanistan: not Tyrone

Residents are demanding that the British army stop using a Co Tyrone village as a training centre for its war in Afghanistan. They say that family life and farming activity are being destroyed by low-flying helicopters late at night.

The Irish government has been asked to raise the issue with Downing Street.

"Two nights this week, my family's sleep has been disrupted and my children terrified," said Ardboe farmer Dermott McKenna (35).

"A helicopter hovered about 100 feet above our house at 11.45pm on Monday. The noise was deafening. I have three young children – aged between two and eight. They were terrified. They awoke crying – they didn't know what was happening.

"The following night, the helicopter began hovering overhead at 12.40am. It stayed there about half an hour. My cows were so frightened they ran through a fence. Thankfully, they ended up in another field and not on the road.

"The cattle were spooked by the whole experience and have been difficult to handle."

A local second world war aerodrome, near the shores of Lough Neagh, is used by the British army. SDLP assembly member Patsy McGlone said: "People had enough of military activity in this area during the Troubles.

"They thought a decent night's sleep would be part of the peace dividend. They don't want low-flying helicopters nor anything to do with a war which they don't support.

"British military spokesmen tell us how important this training is for operations in Afghanistan. There are very few Arabs and no sand in Ardboe. We have no connection with this war and no interest in being connected to it.

"These helicopters are intruding on a quiet, rural community. All Ardboe wants is to be able to sleep at night so the British army should find somewhere else to do its training."

McGlone has contacted the Northern Ireland Office about the issue and also asked the Irish government to intervene.

Dermott McKenna said he had spoken to the British Ministry of Defence after heavy helicopter activity last year. "I've already explained to the MoD that my children are terrified because they hear this horrendous noise in the dark and don't know where it's coming from.

"At night, that's impossible. The British military are doing this to piss us off. There are plenty of less populated places in Britain for them do their training where they would be wanted and wouldn't be disturbing anybody."

August 9, 2009

Where is Sinn Féin in all this? Is the SDLP the only political party in the community opposing it? Where has all that talk about demilitarisation gone now when British troops are organising and training here (and Sinn Féin is the largest nationalist party in government)?

At the very least, if the British want to impose more of their war machine in Ireland, it would only be fair that loyalist villages and the loyalist community are kept up night after night by this product of their self-confessed British "loyalty". But that would ruin the "fun", wouldn't it. Making Irish people suffer for yet another British occupation of a foreign land is simply a massive two fingers to the entire constituency that Sinn Féin claims to represent.

Yet again, Irish-Ireland is the dumping ground for the most despicable elements of British society, the plebian underclass that serve as its footsoldiers in foreign lands. This is deliberate provocation of the native Irish community by a foreign force which is, obviously, deeply resented in the community.
    [font=&quot]Plus ça change, plus c'est la même.[/font]

So, how do Britain's apologists here justify this one, and how do Sinn Féin voters justify the party's silence on it? I've already written to Mícheál Martin about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Rebelheart wrote: »

The Irish government has been asked to raise the issue with Downing Street.

You'd think they'd approach their own government first before asking another country to get involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

ArseBurger wrote: »
    You'd think they'd approach their own government first before asking another country to get involved.

Presuming that everybody in the village is a citizen of Ireland, they therefore did approach their own government first, asking that it request that the 'other country' remove its troops from their village. The article is quite clear about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Helicopter noise is indeed deafening and i can only imagine the horror experienced by young children.
    I'm quite well used to the Garda helicopter hovering overhead late at night, at least i know they are out to do policing catching crims. The BA excuse for training for a foreign war is reprehensible, absolute insensitive to the locals. And to add salt into the wounds to do it very late at night.

And apologists here wonder why kids like those will grow up hating the BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Presuming that everybody in the village is a citizen of Ireland, they therefore did approach their own government first, asking that it request that the 'other country' remove its troops from their village. The article is quite clear about that.

When can people get this through their heads, you are living in a dfiferent country, you pay taxes to a different exchequer (sadly), you draw the dole from a different exchequer (thankfully), you have a different government and thus the one to go complain to are in Westminister (with your own offshoot in Belfast), not the bunch of muppets that sits now and again in the Dáil in Dublin.
    Actually to me that could be a plus.

Anyway didn't anybody tell you up there that Jack O'Connor (Kerry manager) has done a deal with the BA to fly over the houses of Tyrone GAA players to put them off before their upcoming matches.
    They are probably looking for Brian Dooher's house ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Isn't it terrible to think that you can't rely on the support of so many of your own countrymen? Not even for a kind word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

IIMII wrote: »
    Isn't it terrible to think that you can't rely on the support of so many of your own countrymen? Not even for a kind word

Countrymen? I feel about as bad for them as I would for someone being bothered by helicopters in Norfolk, or the Hebrides. They're not my countrymen. That said helicopters at night aren't fun. Have had to get used to the aforementioned Garda helicopter buzzing overhead quite frequently. Perhaps I should lobby Gordon Brown to sort it out. Just another case of NIMBY-ism tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

"These helicopters are intruding on a quiet, rural community. All Ardboe wants is to be able to sleep at night so the British army should find somewhere else to do its training."

surely a rural area is the place to carry out training isn't it? doing it in a city would only disturb even more people.

still, at least all those new mountains being made out of mole hills will make the area more scenic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

surely a rural area is the place to carry out training isn't it? doing it in a city would only disturb even more people.

still, at least all those new mountains being made out of mole hills will make the area more scenic.

Im sure if it was your house this was happening over you would feel the same way.. your one sided opinions always baffle me.

There is plenty of uninhabited land throughout britain where this could be done..

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Im sure if it was your house this was happening over you would feel the same way.. your one sided opinions always baffle me.

There is plenty of uninhabited land throughout britain where this could be done..

With a usuable aerodrome nearby, rural enough, and you don't even know what exercises they are doing... I doubt the BA are sitting around plotting which farm they are going to hover over for the fun of it tonight. It doesnt strike me as a constant or even frequent problem either. O Noes there was helicopter activity last year!! And now twice in a week! The torment. Nobody likes it, but build a bridge and get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

There aren't any rural places in England, Scotland or Wales?

The presence of the British Army in Ireland has never really been welcomed, so to bring their soldiers over here in relative force for 'training exercises' is bound to unsettle a few people.

• Advertisement

DoireNod wrote: »

So it is just simple NIMBY-ism. Thought so.
    The presence of the British Army in Ireland has never really been welcomed, so to bring their soldiers over here in relative force for 'training exercises' is bound to unsettle a few people.

Relative force is a helicopter now?

prinz wrote: »
    With a usuable aerodrome nearby, rural enough, and you don't even know what exercises they are doing... I doubt the BA are sitting around plotting which farm they are going to hover over for the fun of it tonight. It doesnt strike me as a constant or even frequent problem either. O Noes there was helicopter activity last year!! And now twice in a week! The torment. Nobody likes it, but build a bridge and get over it.

once more... there are PLENTY of aerodromes all over britain in uninhabited areas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_the_United_Kingdom), particularly England and Scotland where these could be situated. The presence of the british army has always been a touchy subject in the north, its not about "getting over it" as you put it. Its a pity you dont have this happening to you at night, i wonder would your opinion still be to "get over it" ....

you tell me I dont know what exercises they are performing, you ALSO dont know how often this is occuring in the area. A few lines in the tribune isnt a detailed account.

Defending the british army to the hilt as fratten fred seems to do bugs me even when its simply a case of the BA disrupting everyday life for people and their livelihood. Bigotted one sided opinions annoy me. Hovering 100 feet over someones house for no reason, when theirs cattle on the farm shows their lack of respect for the community.

****ing hell, why does everything in Ireland have to be political.

The army (who are quite likely based in NI) are carrying out exercises to prepare themselves for a tour in Afghanistan. there is nothing sinister about this, they aren't "Picking" on anyone, they are just being a pain in the arse for a few people.

love the way i disagree with someone and i am therefore a bigot :rolleyes:

by you maybe, but the large numbers of people, north and south of the border who join up would make me think otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭harsea8

I do think this is likely to be hyped up more than usual because it is the British army. However, I am constantly amazed by the lack of common sense among the upper echelons of the British military (lets face it, the foot soldiers don't decide where to train)....surely they realize that there is "heightened sensitivity" to their presence on this island, so common sense would suggest that picking somewhere in England (Dartmoor & Exmoor are pretty uninhabited or are they out of bounds as NPs?) or Scotland (which has huge areas of uninhabited land) might be a better option

by you maybe, but the large numbers of people, north and south of the border who join up would make me think otherwise

no.. by the majority of people :confused:

Its not one comment, its your general attitude ive noticed towards anything republican or in ANY way related to people in northern ireland and the british army. Maybe I shouldnt be taking this into a/c in this thread..
    "A helicopter hovered about 100 feet above our house at 11.45pm on Monday. The noise was deafening. I have three young children – aged between two and eight. They were terrified. They awoke crying – they didn't know what was happening.

The following night, the helicopter began hovering overhead at 12.40am. It stayed there about half an hour. My cows were so frightened they ran through a fence. Thankfully, they ended up in another field and not on the road."

You dont find this inappropriate??? no?? i dont get it...

So it is just simple NIMBY-ism. Thought so.
    Pretty much, to put it crudely. People are much more sensitive to the British Army presence in Ireland than they are in Scotland, England and Wales. Can you not understand that?

Relative force is a helicopter now?
    The point is, that British Army forces are supposed to have been withdrawn from Ireland. This activity will unsettle residents and other more suspicious souls. It's silly of the British Army to think that it's ok to do this in Ireland, because they're preparing for another imperialist war in Afghanistan. They could easily have carried out this training exercise elsewhere.

Do you not understand that? Or do you think that people are stupid for feeling that way?

Man, are you serious? Did you grow up in the north?

Its a pity you dont have this happening to you at night, i wonder would your opinion still be to "get over it" .....

Living in a lovely locality in north Dublin at the moment means I have the garda helicopter overhead a couple of times a week for almost 2 years now. It's aggravating at times but that's life.
    you tell me I dont know what exercises they are performing, you ALSO dont know how often this is occuring in the area. A few lines in the tribune isnt a detailed account.

Do you? All I see is helicopter (singular)..... two nights this week.... and something about helicopter activity in the area last year. Got to go by what I see.
    Defending the british army to the hilt as fratten fred seems to do bugs me even when its simply a case of the BA disrupting everyday life for people and their livelihood. Bigotted one sided opinions annoy me...

Sorry but where's the bigotry? If this had been "loyalist" farmland then according to the OP it would have been perfectly acceptable... THAT'S bigotry. You take an issue that could have been applied to everyone and turned it immediately into a Irish v British, nationalist v loyalist issue. THAT smacks of bigotry.

harsea8 wrote: »
    I do think this is likely to be hyped up more than usual because it is the British army. However, I am constantly amazed by the lack of common sense among the upper echelons of the British military (lets face it, the foot soldiers don't decide where to train)....surely they realize that there is "heightened sensitivity" to their presence on this island, so common sense would suggest that picking somewhere in England (Dartmoor & Exmoor are pretty uninhabited or are they out of bounds as NPs?) or Scotland (which has huge areas of uninhabited land) might be a better option

I guess a lot will depend on where they regiment is based. Their main training will probably take place in a more suitable place, but they might want to train a new pilot in a bit or try out a new technique before going off on location.

If they were carrying out full training for a deployment to Afghanistan, those cows would be burgers by now.

Dartmoor is already used extensively by the Army.

• Advertisement

If this had been "loyalist" farmland then according to the OP it would have been perfectly acceptable... THAT'S bigotry.

Actually, my dear chap, that is justice.

Living in a lovely locality in north Dublin at the moment means I have the garda helicopter overhead a couple of times a week for almost 2 years now. It's aggravating at times but that's life.

Do you? All I see is helicopter (singular)..... two nights this week.... and something about helicopter activity in the area last year. Got to go by what I see.

Sorry but where's the bigotry? If this had been "loyalist" farmland then according to the OP it would have been perfectly acceptable... THAT'S bigotry. You take an issue that could have been applied to everyone and turned it immediately into a Irish v British, nationalist v loyalist issue. THAT smacks of bigotry.

Im from Finglas, i know what its like to live under a helicopter... and thats why i can relate. The garda helicopter doesnt sit 100 feet over your house now does it??? And the garda hasnt been an oppressive force in north dublin for years now has it????

"do you??" ... do i what???? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

Northern Ireland is still part of Britain.Why would the Irish government bother with an issue like this??

Pretty much, to put it crudely. People are much more sensitive to the British Army presence in Ireland than they are in Scotland, England and Wales. Can you not understand that?

Sure I understand it. But they train where they train and if they move everytime someone complains nothing would ever get down. Plus the OP indicates that this would be ok over a loyalist area... To me it's irrelevant what allegiance the farmer has. It's a pain in the arse but that's life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

A sheet of plywood, some corrigated metal, and I think some insulating material is what separates me from from a very active helicopter LZ about 150m from where I sleep. CH-47s and Mi-17s are about the loudest sort of helicopters one can find and I have little trouble sleeping through it. I can only wonder what level of aggrandisation is being used.

NTM

Northern Ireland is still part of Britain.Why would the Irish government bother with an issue like this??
    Ask those who asked the Irish government for help?

Actually, my dear chap, that is justice.

My point has been proven. Thanks.

no.. by the majority of people :confused:

Its not one comment, its your general attitude ive noticed towards anything republican or in ANY way related to people in northern ireland and the british army. Maybe I shouldnt be taking this into a/c in this thread..

You dont find this inappropriate??? no?? i dont get it...

yes it's not appropriate, but it's not exactly an issue that needs the involvement of the Irish government.

I have no problems with republicans, only idiots.
    The point is, that British Army forces are supposed to have been withdrawn from Ireland. This activity will unsettle residents and other more suspicious souls. It's silly of the British Army to think that it's ok to do this in Ireland, because they're preparing for another imperialist war in Afghanistan. They could easily have carried out this training exercise elsewhere.

Do you not understand that? Or do you think that people are stupid for feeling that way?

yes.

the BA have withdrawn from Northern Ireland. The united Kingdom does, however, have regiments based all it's country, as does every other country in the world.

They are preparing to go on a UN sanctioned mission, a mission that the Irish government supports along with 42 other world government.

Please explain how this is an imperial war?

A sheet of plywood, some corrigated metal, and I think some insulating material is what separates me from from a very active helicopter LZ about 150m from where I sleep. CH-47s and Mi-17s are about the loudest sort of helicopters one can find and I have little trouble sleeping through it. I can only wonder what level of aggrandisation is being used.

NTM

the British Army use extra loud helicoptors in NI just to scare the cows.:D

• Advertisement

This is quite hilarious. The "large numbers"? Are they like the hope of the British recruitment officer in the latest British Army recruitment drive (June 2009), which would like to see 'up to 100 people from the Republic' (all undereducated, barely literate types, as usual) enlisting?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0626/1224249575210.html

With such "large numbers", China's Red Army would want to be on its guard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement