Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Tyrone village driven mad by British army helicopters'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Well based on the fact that they are pumping huge sums of money into NI, I kinda think it gives them some right to train wherever they like,within reason of course.
    Money. And for centuries, lead too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Well it is their territory, if there was civil unrest in the RoI I'm sure the forces of the state would be marshalled to protect it's citizens.

I'm sure they would be tasked to quell any violence and if that needed a slug or two around the earhole, well that's what they would have to do, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It would be a nuisance, yes, but I don't think I'd be huddling terrified in the corner.

I also wouldn't expect the British government to do anything about it.

You are not aged between two and eight are you? :eek: :D (see original article)

They do not operate helicopters where you and I are. They own the helicopters engaged in this cruel behaviour to young children.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

gurramok wrote: »
    Yes they are. Did you not read the article about frightened huddled kids during the night due to the helicopters?.

:pac: ffs. Any kids I know would be trying to hang out the window to get a good look at what's going on.
    IIMII wrote: »
    I'd say they would be happy to have as little to do with you as possible too.

No problems from me.
    ardmacha wrote: »
    These debates always come back to what the "legal" powers can do, without reference to morality. Some of the people on this board would have been perfectly happy with the activities in Hitler's Germany on the basis that they legal government had authorised them. Discussion on a politics forum has to concern itself whether something is appropriate or right as well as legal.

Hmmm is it moral and appropriate that a UK helicopter crew should train over UK territory in a rural area, operating out of an aerodrome that has been there for decades... yes IMO it is. It's not as if they just built a brand new helipad on someone's driveway.

They own the helicopters engaged in this cruel behaviour to young children.

:pac: Are they going to start warning kids up there now to check under the bed for the bogeyman and helicopters :pac: cruel behaviour to young children :pac: notice again most of the complainers at the beginning of this thread mentioned it would be perfectly acceptable to do this over a loyalist area... in fact that would be "justice" and "they deserve it" IIRC. Would you be still as interested in the frightened young children then? Maybe you should contact the RSPCC.

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    :pac: ffs. Any kids I know would be trying to hang out the window to get a good look at what's going on.

I would not advise that, its wreckless endangerment of the kids.

Kids carry toy guns and can be shot at in one of those 'accidental' British Army shootings you hear about.

I would not advise that, its wreckless endangerment of the kids.

Kids carry toy guns and can be shot at in one of those 'accidental' British Army shootings you hear about.

Reckless even.

I haven't heard of any kids carrying toy guns being shot in NI?

Any further info?

:pac: Are they going to start warning kids up there now to check under the bed for the bogeyman and helicopters :pac: cruel behaviour to young children :pac: notice again most of the complainers at the beginning of this thread mentioned it would be perfectly acceptable to do this over a loyalist area... in fact that would be "justice" and "they deserve it" IIRC. Would you be still as interested in the frightened young children then? Maybe you should contact the RSPCC.

It is indeed strange how we never hear of military helicopters hovering over a loyalist household, why is that?

Yes, perhaps the RSPCC should be contacted for this. Frightening children especially at night is cruel, you agree?
    Reckless even.

Spelling police?
    I haven't heard of any kids carrying toy guns being shot in NI?

Any further info?

Nope, nearly happened a few times on a street level over the years. One just does not point a toy gun at a helicopter, try telling that to a child.

It is indeed strange how we never hear of military helicopters hovering over a loyalist household, why is that?

Yes, perhaps the RSPCC should be contacted for this. Frightening children especially at night is cruel, you agree?

Spelling police?

Nope, nearly happened a few times on a street level over the years. One just does not point a toy gun at a helicopter, try telling that to a child.

Nearly!! How do you know? Was it yourself that was involved?

Nearly!! How do you know? Was it yourself that was involved?

No. My knowledge was from following the conflict over the years. You have the same deep in depth knowledge of the NI conflict?

• Advertisement

Probably because they couldn't give a toss and get on with life, it doesn't make quite the same headlines does it. Like the helicopter crews give a crap about who is in the houses they're flying over. :rolleyes: However if such an incident did occur the same worried citizens who felt compelled to make a boards.ie issue of this would no doubt start a thread about how a loyalist family deserves it, funny how their kids can be "cruelly frightened" and that's ok.

Probably because they couldn't give a toss and get on with life, it doesn't make quite the same headlines does it. Like the helicopter crews give a crap about who is in the houses they're flying over. :rolleyes: However if such an incident did occur the same worried citizens who felt compelled to make a boards.ie issue of this would no doubt start a thread about how a loyalist family deserves it, funny how their kids can be "cruelly frightened" and that's ok.

Perhaps, those stationary helicopters do not fly over loyalist areas at 1am waking up the locals for a long time, you never thought of that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Did you not read the article about frightened huddled kids during the night due to the helicopters?

It must be said, I've never seen any kid who was afraid of a helicopter.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

****ing hell, an RAF helicoptor flies over a farm and it now turned into an invasion of an entire village in tyrone with kids being shot on the streets.

My mention of mole hills appears to have been appropriate!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

In case you hadn't noticed the SDLP's share of the vote in NI has more or less collapsed.
    Irrelevant. They still represent a large portion of Irish people in the North.
    Spot on Prinz, nothing to do with this state.

people are quite capable of accepting the advantages of the UK health system but don't want what goes with it.

I would tell these people to whinge on Boards.uk

Nothing to do with us.
    Irish people (or any other nationality) in the North do have something to do with the Republic. So you're wrong. You think they have nothing to do with you.

By the way, it's '.co.uk'
    So now it's the kids fault for being afraid?

DoireNod wrote: »

Irish people (or any other nationality) in the North do have something to do with the Republic. So you're wrong. You think they have nothing to do with you.

By the way, it's '.co.uk'

What the BA does in NI has nothing to do with the RoI.

What will we be railing about next, Colombian Army manouvres in FARC controlled territories.

Nothing to do with us sir.

They represent the people who vote for them.... which apparently is not that many these days. Parties I don't vote for do not represent my interests.

:confused: Do I think these kids are being continually and "cruelly frightened" by a helicopter flying overhead....... no I don't.

It must be said, I've never seen any kid who was afraid of a helicopter.

NTM

So you do not see the horror on the faces of the little children at the thunderous noise above in the middle of the night?

Children for your information are vulnerable little human beings.
    flutter wrote:
    What the BA does in NI has nothing to do with the RoI.

What will we be railing about next, Colombian Army manouvres in FARC controlled territories.

Nothing to do with us sir.

I do not remember hundreds of thousands of Irish citizens in Colombia being terrorised by the Colombian Army? Enlighten me.

I do not remember hundreds of thousands of Irish citizens in Colombia being terrorised by the Colombian Army? Enlighten me.

Neither do I strangely enough.

Never heard of it anywhere to be honest.

I did hear the people of the area around Valley AFB in Wales were a bit annoyed about the level of militery training, but terrorised, never heard about that.

Maybe they equate a bit of noise with being terrorised, I don't really know to be honest.

It's a possibility i suppose.

Neither do I strangely enough.

Never heard of it anywhere to be honest.

I did hear the people of the area around Valley AFB in Wales were a bit annoyed about the level of militery training, but terrorised, never heard about that.

Maybe they equate a bit of noise with being terrorised, I don't really know to be honest.

It's a possibility i suppose.

Terror comes in many forms, including an army on the streets battering unarmed people as well as shooting them.

That has happened in NI and it is downright insensitive of the British Army to do what they are doing to the people of Ardboe.

• Advertisement

Terror comes in many forms, including an army on the streets battering unarmed people as well as shooting them.

That has happened in NI and it is downright insensitive of the British Army to do what they are doing to the people of Ardboe.

That is the fallout from guerilla warfare friend, everyone is your enemy.

Plenty of squaddies are cold in the clay from the assassins rifle and the booby trap bomb.

You gotta look at things from both sides;)

That is the fallout from guerilla warfare friend, everyone is your enemy.

Plenty of squaddies are cold in the clay from the assassins rifle and the booby trap bomb.

You gotta look at things from both sides;)

And lots of innocent unarmed civilians in the clay from the hands of the British Army hence the justified fear of the inhabitants at a British military helicopter hovering over their houses late at night frightening young kids especially.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

So you do not see the horror on the faces of the little children at the thunderous noise above in the middle of the night?

No. It's dark.
    Children for your information are vulnerable little human beings

This may be hard to believe, but I'm told I was one once. I don't recall feeling particularly vulnerable to helicopters.

NTM

And lots of innocent unarmed civilians in the clay from the hands of the British Army hence the justified fear of the inhabitants at a British military helicopter hovering over their houses late at night frightening young kids especially.

Indeed that's true too, but it's the fallout from guerilla warfare, the innocent suffer.

May I suggest you read "Low Intensity Operations" by major General Sir Frank Kitson for some insight of how the counter terrorism campaign is conducted.

Excellent tome.

No. It's dark.

This may be hard to believe, but I'm told I was one once. I don't recall feeling particularly vulnerable to helicopters.

NTM

You were a brave child in the dark with no vulnerability to thunderous noise over your bedroom.
    Indeed that's true too, but it's the fallout from guerilla warfare, the innocent suffer.

May I suggest you read "Low Intensity Operations" by major General Sir Frank Kitson for some insight of how the counter terrorism campaign is conducted.

Excellent tome.

Yeh, great insight alright. Killing kids was part of it.
    http://www.crossexaminer.co.uk/archives/2028

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Is this thread for real?

Are we to seriously expect the Irish Government to intervene to try and stop the British Army from carrying out exercises in NI because some kids are scared of the helicopters?

Is it just me or does anyone else find the last few pages of posts as bordering on the bizarre?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This is anti social behaviour, young violent men with short haircuts from outside the area who like to make a lot of noise annoying decent families. Not the end of the world, but it should be prevented as far as possible.

You were a brave child in the dark with no vulnerability to thunderous noise over your bedroom.

Yeh, great insight alright. Killing kids was part of it.
    http://www.crossexaminer.co.uk/archives/2028

Yes terrible, but that is what happens when guerillas hide in the general population.It's the same story in Gaza, guerillas embedding themselves in the general population and then washing their hands of any responsibility when innocents are killed.

Doesn't wash with most right thinking people.

XMG is a very good example .Any squaddie would have the weapon on rady if he didn't want to go home in an body bag.

Terrible stuff indeed.

Yes terrible, but that is what happens when guerillas hide in the general population.It's the same story in Gaza, guerillas embedding themselves in the general population and then washing their hands of any responsibility when innocents are killed.

Doesn't wash with most right thinking people.

XMG is a very good example .Any squaddie would have the weapon on rady if he didn't want to go home in an body bag.

Terrible stuff indeed.

Which is why the local population are rightfully scared of anything British military related based in their neighbourhood as after all hardly a single soldier was prosecuted for those killings of their innocents.

Hopefully now, you understand why there is apprehension at the helicopter hovering over an innocent family at night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Hopefully now, you understand why there is apprehension at the helicopter hovering over an innocent family at night.

What exactly do they think the helicopters are going to do to them?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement