Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Tyrone village driven mad by British army helicopters'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

gurramok wrote: »
    Whose helicopters, Irish or British?

I'm old school, so I'd go with the Dutch. The Brits are only newcomers to this royal orange business.

http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/photos/apgphoto/images/33184/orange-riat-09.jpg

and yes I'm fully aware that's not a helicopter before some bright spark feels the need to enlighten me further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

prinz wrote: »
    I'm old school, so I'd go with the Dutch. The Brits are only newcomers to this royal orange business.

http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/photos/apgphoto/images/33184/orange-riat-09.jpg

and yes I'm fully aware that's not a helicopter before some bright spark feels the need to enlighten me further.

You could of picked a green one :P

You will still need permission from the Irish govt and permission from the Dutch govt for that flying machine to hover over your house at 1am!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well, i asked Manic for his expertise on the subject and he came up with half hour of activity of hovering which concurs with what was said in the article.

Nope, wrong again. We are concerned about fellow Irish citizens up north.

Speaking from experience of flying the smaller less military machines. I am not familiar with the full capabilities of Lynxs etc.
    No, some of us are concerned about them, whereas some of us couldn't give a f*** anymore, because we see both sides up there as just bigoted.
    What is this 'priest deported' business, a link? All Irish citizens deserve justice.

At least Irish citizens in Donegal have their elected reps in the Dail to speak up for them on issues, Irish citizens in Tyrone do not have that privilege.

No they don't have Dáil representation because they live in Tyrone.
    Irish citizens living in Liverpool, Sydney, Boston or Glasgow do not have the privilege either.
    No matter how much you want a united Ireland it isn't here yet so the government in Dublin does not control the territory or the military operations within Northern Ireland.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

getz wrote: »
    i would be more concerned with abused irish citizens in the south,at least the british goverment has just had a priest deported from the USA for child abuse,the catholic church had sent him there to avoid being found out[it dident work], the republics abused citizens will get no justice
    You have some nerve, what with the English army's history of rape in Ireland

jmayo wrote: »
    Speaking from experience of flying the smaller less military machines. I am not familiar with the full capabilities of Lynxs etc.
    No, some of us are concerned about them, whereas some of us couldn't give a f*** anymore, because we see both sides up there as just bigoted.

So you do not care about kids vulnerability to deafening helicopter noise over their bedroom at night.

Never knew the farmer and the SDLP were bigoted, that's a new one.
    No they don't have Dáil representation because they live in Tyrone.
    Irish citizens living in Liverpool, Sydney, Boston or Glasgow do not have the privilege either.

You must get me in contact with the Irish separatist movement in those cities. Never knew also that Irish people had a claim to those cities. All revelations tonight! :D
    jmayo wrote:
    No matter how much you want a united Ireland it isn't here yet so the government in Dublin does not control the territory or the military operations within Northern Ireland.

And we see the consequences and the overriding of the rights of Irish citizens there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

From my understanding of flying helicopters, I don't think you can really keep a helicopter hovering in the one spot for very long close to the ground because eventually you will have build up of unstable air

I think you might be underestimating the characteristics of the larger helicopters. I'm a fixed-wing chap myself, but have flown through the rotorwash of an Apache which was about a minute ahead of me in the traffic pattern and it was definitely noticeable, even though he was moving at about 15kts at the slowest speed. On the other hand, six days ago I watched a Chinook pilot hold his bird as steady as a rock about ten feet off the ground for a full ten minutes while they tried to hook up a sling load. And I mean steady. No perceptible movement whatsoever.

NTM

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Never knew also that Irish people had a claim to those cities.
    The Irish people don't have a claim to Northern Ireland. We explicitly relinquished that claim more than ten years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The Irish people don't have a claim to Northern Ireland. We explicitly relinquished that claim more than ten years ago.
    Sadly :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Thank God for that, we have enough trouble down here without adding to them

Good call lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

There's a lot to be said of the old phrase, 'sure the south doesnt want us' reading this thread.

Some of you posters wanna be ashamed of yourselves, call yourselves Irish, the Empire done a good job on you guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Of course the Irish people have a claim over Northern Ireland, all people have a claim on their own country. However the Irish State removed the clause that suggested that it had some sort of claim to ownership of 26 county institutions over Northern Ireland and replaced it with the simple statement that the nation is found in the 32 counties, something passed by the highest majority ever.

ardmacha wrote: »
    However the Irish State removed the clause that suggested that it had some sort of claim to ownership of 26 county institutions over Northern Ireland and replaced it with the simple statement that the nation is found in the 32 counties, something passed by the highest majority ever.
    That's the most impressive piece of waffle I've seen on here for some time - and I spend a lot of time on the EU forum.

That's the most impressive piece of waffle I've seen on here for some time - and I spend a lot of time on the EU forum.

Any idea what it means?

Probably means your invited to the 'Mayo for a 26 county Ireland Committee'.

:D

Best idea I heard for yonks.

:D

Best idea I heard for yonks.

Oh your bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The locals should be given license to use RPGs.

That would provide the helicopters with excellent training for Afghanistan.

:)

So you do not care about kids vulnerability to deafening helicopter noise over their bedroom at night.

Never knew the farmer and the SDLP were bigoted, that's a new one.

You must get me in contact with the Irish separatist movement in those cities. Never knew also that Irish people had a claim to those cities. All revelations tonight! :D

And we see the consequences and the overriding of the rights of Irish citizens there.

FFS now the kids are going deaf :rolleyes:
    What next, they are getting colds from the downdrafts and the slates blowing off the roof ?
    Jeeze sice they are Irish citizens, as you and a few others keep telling us, they can come and join the REAL statutory Irish Army (not the one a fair few posters around here may view as the legitimate army of this island) and in a few years they can make a deafness claim. :rolleyes:

No did I ever say the farmer or the SDLP were bigoted ?
    If anything the SDLP have been the voice of reason in a state that was full of bigots, on both sides.
    Sadly they and any other semi normal party have been sidelined and we have the extremists winning out.
    weepee wrote: »
    There's a lot to be said of the old phrase, 'sure the south doesnt want us' reading this thread.

Some of you posters wanna be ashamed of yourselves, call yourselves Irish, the Empire done a good job on you guys.

It is exactly because of that attitude that a lot of Irish people do not like the great Irish Republican movement.

Ah yes we are more Irish than you because we believe that it is ok to kill people (some of them our own) to chase out the evil protestant Johnny foreigner, we listen to the Wolfe Tones and attend commeration ceremonies for the heroes of 1798.
    You do know that a lot of the leaders from 1798 were protestant ?

Perhaps I am also less Irish because I think the two Garda killers released from prison this week are murderers and should still be in jail ?
    Ah but sure maybe they were thieving and killing to free us all from the evil Empire and set us on the path to being true Irishmen :rolleyes:

PS the Empire disappeared over 50 years ago.
    Yeah I know there are still some eejits in UK who still think they have one, but there is no need for you to be deluding them further.
    stovelid wrote: »
    The locals should be given license to use RPGs.

That would provide the helicopters with excellent training for Afghanistan.

:)

Some of them never bothered with licenses for them in the past ;)

Perhaps I am also less Irish because I think the two Garda killers released from prison this week are murderers and should still be in jail ?

Who has suggested this, you are entitled to your opinion on the proper length of sentence for bank robbers and killers.

Some of us though do have a poor opinion of you because of your sneering attitude to people in Tyrone who are subject to unnecessary inconvenience. You seem to feel entitled to disregard these peoples peace and quiet and make smart alec remarks about them because of where they live. It makes you feel big to have someone that you think is less important than you. If you make sweeping statements that imply that homosexuals, itinerants, protestants, women, Dubliners, black people etc are not really Irish then you get banned from boards, but you can say what you like about people in Tyrone and you'll probably get made a moderator, especially if you stick in a smiley or two.

You seem to feel entitled to disregard these peoples peace and quiet and make smart alec remarks about them because of where they live.
    Where they live determines one thing, and one thing only: which government is responsible for dealing with their problems. They live in the UK, which means that if they have a problem with the behaviour of the armed forces of that country, they should bring it up with the government of that country, ideally through representations made by the member of parliament that they elected to represent them in the parliament of that country.
    It makes you feel big to have someone that you think is less important than you. If you make sweeping statements that imply that homosexuals, itinerants, protestants, women, Dubliners, black people etc are not really Irish then you get banned from boards, but you can say what you like about people in Tyrone and you'll probably get made a moderator, especially if you stick in a smiley or two.
    People in Tyrone may well be Irish, in the same way that my brother in Dartford is Irish. But if the RAF start conducting night exercises over his house, I suspect he'll be contacting Dr Stoate (the honourable member for Dartford) rather than the Irish ambassador.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Loyalists and Unionists are fond of putting up flags that will clearly show where the british army will be welcome to carry out their exercises.

As part of the peace process on condition that if the people of NI decide it(along with devolvement of govt), we will be united.

The Irish people in NI desire to join us and have expressed that will through the ballot box.
    Jeeze sice they are Irish citizens, as you and a few others keep telling us, they can come and join the REAL statutory Irish Army (not the one a fair few posters around here may view as the legitimate army of this island) and in a few years they can make a deafness claim. :rolleyes:

In case you have not noticed, plenty of northerners have joined the Irish Army over the years as they feel the Irish Army is their proper army.
    No did I ever say the farmer or the SDLP were bigoted ?
    If anything the SDLP have been the voice of reason in a state that was full of bigots, on both sides.
    Sadly they and any other semi normal party have been sidelined and we have the extremists winning out.

You branded both sides as bigots hence you branded the SDLP as bigots as they agree with my position.
    Here:
    And that is offesnive to the great majority of both sides up there who are not bigoted.

Where they live determines one thing, and one thing only: which government is responsible for dealing with their problems. They live in the UK, which means that if they have a problem with the behaviour of the armed forces of that country, they should bring it up with the government of that country, ideally through representations made by the member of parliament that they elected to represent them in the parliament of that country. People in Tyrone may well be Irish, in the same way that my brother in Dartford is Irish. But if the RAF start conducting night exercises over his house, I suspect he'll be contacting Dr Stoate (the honourable member for Dartford) rather than the Irish ambassador.

Your brother in Dartford does not have local political representation for Dartford to join the Irish state, he must indeed contact the local MP instead, you keep missing that point.

Who has suggested this, you are entitled to your opinion on the proper length of sentence for bank robbers and killers.

Some of us though do have a poor opinion of you because of your sneering attitude to people in Tyrone who are subject to unnecessary inconvenience. You seem to feel entitled to disregard these peoples peace and quiet and make smart alec remarks about them because of where they live. It makes you feel big to have someone that you think is less important than you. If you make sweeping statements that imply that homosexuals, itinerants, protestants, women, Dubliners, black people etc are not really Irish then you get banned from boards, but you can say what you like about people in Tyrone and you'll probably get made a moderator, especially if you stick in a smiley or two.

Because somebody pointed out that people in Tyrone live in a different f***ing state , a different jurisdiction then you are bigotted or saying they are not Irish :rolleyes:
    Because i am not consumed witht eh well being of people in Northern Ireland I was occused of being less Irish.
    As pointed out by other posters they can be Irish citizens, but live anywhere and it is the laws and the government of that anywhere that then applies to them.

Talking about bigotted it was other posters that stated they should fly over loyalist houses, since they want the British Army. Others went on rants about British oppression, colonsiing Afghanistan, references to the Malvinas, the Empire trained me well, etc, etc.

Why the christ should I be so upset that these people are having noise difficulties and why shoudl; i want my government making respentations on their behalf ?
    And yes I will now be told I am a mé féiner etc.

My argument is they have a problem with the British Army so go talk to their own public representatives, go phone the MOD, send a letter to the press in Belfast/London, bring around the BBC, Sky, etc
    Why the feck drag the Irish government of this state into it.

If they were being attacked, driven from their homes as in 1969 then yes get involved, but at the moment they are having problems with noise.
    It is a bloody noise abatement issue that happens to involve the military.

Some people on this thread are making out that the kids are beeing terrorised, are going deaf, the village is under attack, etc.
    The thread headline reads about a Tyrone village but is it one family that is having problems ?

BTW if someone in Cork was having nosie problems with the Aer Corps I would epxect them to contact their local representatives, the Dept of Defense and make a song and dance about it to the news media, but not drag the people of Tyrone into it.

Anyway I am out of here. We are going around in circles as is usual with some topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Some of us though do have a poor opinion of you because of your sneering attitude to people in Tyrone who are subject to unnecessary inconvenience. You seem to feel entitled to disregard these peoples peace and quiet and make smart alec remarks about them because of where they live.
    Jackeen wimps. For many years, the people of South Armagh had flying machines 4 times the size, flying three together, at one fifth of the height, and people firing great mortars at them. We slept through it all.

Which is it champ? Either you can sleep through it all............ or it's aggressive terrorism, frightening vulnerable young children, funny how you like to have things both ways, but I suppose there is nothing new in that.

Some people sleep better than others, as we are always being told harassment is determined by the discomfort of the recipient. Anyhow I expect that people in Tyrone are a more sensitive lot those in Armagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Complainant: Low flying Army helicopters are routinely causing me problems; keeping me awake, scaring my kids and spooking my animals.

Joe Public: That's terrible. Something ought to be done about that.

Complainant: Yeah. They're training for the war in Afghanistan which we don't support. You know there are very few Arabs and no sand in Ardboe.

Joe Public: Em. But what's that got to do with it? What's the complaint; the noise or the war? :confused:

Complainant: It's the Brits, ye see. They're just doing this to piss us off. I'm gettin' on to the Irish Government about this.

Joe Public: Aw, piss off.

jmayo wrote:
    My argument is they have a problem with the British Army so go talk to their own public representatives, go phone the MOD, send a letter to the press in Belfast/London, bring around the BBC, Sky, etc
    Why the feck drag the Irish government of this state into it.

Another that failed to read the article. To re-iterate that what you failed to read, they complained last year to MoD and nothing happened as the same is happening this year hence the need to bring the complaint to a higher level
    dvpower wrote: »
    Complainant: Low flying Army helicopters are routinely causing me problems; keeping me awake, scaring my kids and spooking my animals.

Joe Public: That's terrible. Something ought to be done about that.

Complainant: Yeah. They're training for the war in Afghanistan which we don't support. You know there are very few Arabs and no sand in Ardboe.

Joe Public: Em. But what's that got to do with it? What's the complaint; the noise or the war? :confused:

Complainant: It's the Brits, ye see. They're just doing this to piss us off. I'm gettin' on to the Irish Government about this.

Joe Public: Aw, piss off.

Rubbish. How do you know that represents Joe Public?

Another that failed to read the article. To re-iterate that what you failed to read, they complained last year to MoD and nothing happened as the same is happening this year hence the need to bring the complaint to a higher level
    If someone in Wales had a similar problem and a complaint to the MoD didn't help, who should they contact?

If someone in Wales had a similar problem and a complaint to the MoD didn't help, who should they contact?

The Welsh Assembly Government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

your local member of parliment,who will take the matter up with the minister who is responsible,but if your member of parliment refuses to represent you, the next time you will vote for some one else ,i have used my local MP a couple of times and have found that she has been good,i even once had a written apology from a goverment minister and my problem sorted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement