Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Tyrone village driven mad by British army helicopters'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

gurramok wrote: »
    Rubbish. How do you know that represents Joe Public?

I don't. I just made that up myself without so much as a RedC poll ;)

But a fair representation of the complainent don't you think?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The Welsh Assembly Government.
    You do know that Northern Ireland has an Assembly as well...?

Bloody PC-9 just buzzed the house again. I'm on hold to the Scottish Assembly as we speak...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Apart from the obvious support of a united Ireland, Sinn Féin outlined several other key policies from their most recent election manifesto:

The 18 Northern Ireland MPs that sit in the Parliament of the United Kingdom to be allowed to sit in the Dáil Éireann as full Deputies as well.

Id be delighted if this would be allowed.

I know alot of people on here are vehemently against Sinn Féin on principle. And I can understand that. The recent situation with Garda Gerry McCabe and meeting the perpetrators outside the prison was nothing short of ridiculous.

However, I think on situations relating to Northern Ireland, the eighteen MP's should be allowed to speak in the Dáil. Northern affairs or something.

And not just about helicopters.

Has anyone an opinion on this, or is this off topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

oscarBravo wrote: »

Is there any point in rhetorical questions ?

Bloody PC-9 just buzzed the house again. I'm on hold to the Scottish Assembly as we speak...

Oh, how wity :) .

PS. Scotland has a full parliament not merely just an assembly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Deedsie wrote: »
    The 18 Northern Ireland MPs that sit in the Parliament of the United Kingdom to be allowed to sit in the Dáil Éireann as full Deputies as well.

What would the point in that be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

oscarBravo wrote: »

Yes. Did you notice the complainant had SDLP representation on their behalf?

Its quite obvious that they got nowhere as the flights are again happening this year hence to go to the next level and that is the Irish govt.

prinz wrote: »
    What would the point in that be?

As i said further down the post:

I think on situations relating to Northern Ireland, the eighteen MP's should be allowed to speak in the Dáil. Northern affairs or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 thelastditch

The UK armed forces train all over The UK so there shouldn't be any problem with them training in Tyrone. After all the people of Tyrone (mostly Catholics) are more than happy to receive huge subsidies of The UK state, so it's only fair that they play at least a small part in helping the UK armed forces. This all seems like just one more storm in a tea cup - one hopes that this sort of Nationalist nit picking will gradually die out and I'm confident that over the next ten or twenty years it will.

Good luck to The UK's brave armed forces in Afghanistan and especially to those lads from Ulster and those from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

To all the *ahem* anti-noise people, why not get on and fight noise right here in our own state see here

Of course there's no chances to bash the brits, partition or the war in Afghanistan... Where' everybody gone?!

The UK armed forces train all over The UK so there shouldn't be any problem with them training in Tyrone. After all the people of Tyrone (mostly Catholics) are more than happy to receive huge subsidies of The UK state, so it's only fair that they play at least a small part in helping the UK armed forces. This all seems like just one more storm in a tea cup - one hopes that this sort of Nationalist nit picking will gradually die out and I'm confident that over the next ten or twenty years it will.

Good luck to The UK's brave armed forces in Afghanistan and especially to those lads from Ulster and those from Ireland.

What subsidies? Generalise much?

Have you got statistical backup for this nonsense?

Since when has Ulster been not in Ireland?
    toiletduck wrote: »
    To all the *ahem* anti-noise people, why not get on and fight noise right here in our own state see here

Of course there's no chances to bash the brits, partition or the war in Afghanistan... Where' everybody gone?!

Gardai out out to catch criminals protecting people, the British Army in Tyrone are not.

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    As i said further down the post:

I think on situations relating to Northern Ireland, the eighteen MP's should be allowed to speak in the Dáil. Northern affairs or something.

That would be like MPs from Kent speaking in The French parliament about Kent - doesn't make any sense - in fact it would be absurd.

What subsidies? Generalise much?

Have you got statistical backup for this nonsense?

Since when has Ulster been not in Ireland?

Gardai out out to catch criminals protecting people, the British Army in Tyrone are not.

What statistics do you want?

Sorry, I should have said Ireland and British Ulster (the bit of Ulster that is British land as accepted by The Irish constitution).

The UK armed forces are training to catch criminals in Afghanistan - terrorists they call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

That would be like MPs from Kent speaking in The French parliament about Kent - doesn't make any sense - in fact it would be absurd.
    It's not like that at all, if you know anything at all about Irish history.

Sorry, I should have said Ireland and British Ulster (the bit of Ulster that is British land as accepted by The Irish constitution).
    Just say 'Northern Ireland'.
    The UK armed forces are training to catch criminals in Afghanistan - terrorists they call them.
    Aye, why can't they let the police forces in Afghanistan catch these 'criminals'? The reason why the UK are in Afghanistan can be discussed elsewhere.

What statistics do you want?

Statistics to back up that "people of Tyrone (mostly Catholics) are more than happy to receive huge subsidies of The UK state"

British Ulster is a phrase that has been paraded around on boards and in real life by loyalists.

There are no Afghan criminals/terrorists in Tyrone. If there is, I trust you to inform the PSNI.

So it's not the noise that's the problem but rather that it's Brits?

They're training for a UN mandated, Irish backed mission. Just like the gardai have to train...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

Can't believe this hot air of a story has got over 200 replies. If the shinners are anything like the Brits-Out-Boys in this thread, I'd say the Unionists negotiating the GFA were bored into submission.

(Yes, let's have the smart-alec replies where you tell me I haven't a clue what it's like to live where I do... Let's see if we can reach 500 posts by the weekend)

Benster wrote: »
    Can't believe this hot air of a story has got over 200 replies. If the shinners are anything like the Brits-Out-Boys in this thread, I'd say the Unionists negotiating the GFA were bored into submission.

(Yes, let's have the smart-alec replies where you tell me I haven't a clue what it's like to live where I do... Let's see if we can reach 500 posts by the weekend)

Well i am a Brits in lad. The British in Northern Ireland into a United Ireland.

So it's not the noise that's the problem but rather that it's Brits?

They're training for a UN mandated, Irish backed mission. Just like the gardai have to train...

Its been stated already in the thread(have you read it?) that noise in the primary issue here and the fact it is coming from a British helicopter makes it an even more sensitive issue.

Good to hear you don't mind your very young kids been woken up by an Irish military helicopter hovering for a half hour over your house at 1am on numerous occasions just to do a military exercise.(assuming you live indeed in Galway)
    Benster wrote:

I suggest you move to Ardboe from the tranquility of Meath, and let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It is astonishing that this thread has gone on for so long with so many irrelevant and prejudiced posts about the NHS, bank robberies and the rest. It is simple, demilitarisation was a fundamental part of the peace process and the Good Friday agreement. This is a form of remilitarisation. The Irish government were a party to the GFA and so have an interest in the entire project not being undermined when there is no need for it. End.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ardmacha wrote: »
    It is astonishing that this thread has gone on for so long with so many irrelevant and prejudiced posts about the NHS, bank robberies and the rest. It is simple, demilitarisation was a fundamental part of the peace process and the Good Friday agreement. This is a form of remilitarisation. The Irish government were a party to the GFA and so have an interest in the entire project not being undermined when there is no need for it. End.

****ing hell, now Britain is remilitarising NI. :rolleyes:

Its been stated already in the thread(have you read it?) that noise in the primary issue here and the fact it is coming from a British helicopter makes it an even more sensitive issue.

It shouldn't though. If they have a legitimate complaint fair enough. I just don't like the way this is being pushed by republicans as further evidence of British evil doings.
    Good to hear you don't mind your very young kids been woken up by an Irish military helicopter hovering for a half hour over your house at 1am on numerous occasions just to do a military exercise.(assuming you live indeed in Galway)

No kids (that I know of :pac: ) but I grew up near enough the hospital and the air-sea rescue helicopter was a frequent visitor. To the point where it wouldn't budge me or anyone I knew in the locality (at least I never heard any complaints).

It shouldn't though. If they have a legitimate complaint fair enough. I just don't like the way this is being pushed by republicans as further evidence of British evil doings.

Its been pushed by the farmer and the SDLP. Last time i checked the SDLP were not republican as such.

Its quite obvious republicans would push it too, its a handy advantage that the British gave them to use.
    toiletduck wrote:
    No kids (that I know of :pac: ) but I grew up near enough the hospital and the air-sea rescue helicopter was a frequent visitor. To the point where it wouldn't budge me or anyone I knew in the locality (at least I never heard any complaints).

You see, they are saving lives there out at sea and they don't hover directly over your house at 1am unless you needed a rescue :P

I don't see where republicans have 'pushed' this as further evidence of British evil doings - as far as I can see, it was an SDLP representative who raised the issue of sensitivity to the British Army in Ireland. As I've said in previous posts, the fact that the disturbance is coming from a British helicopter is largely irrelevant in that these people would be annoyed regardless of who owned the helicopter. However, the fact it's a British Army helicopter adds that extra dimension, i.e. that people in Ireland are already extremely sensitive to the British Army presence. It's simple. People aren't using this as something to get at the British Army - there are already enough reasons to dislike the British Army. :pac:

DoireNod wrote: »
    Just say 'Northern Ireland'.

Aye, why can't they let the police forces in Afghanistan catch these 'criminals'? The reason why the UK are in Afghanistan can be discussed elsewhere.

Just say 'Northern Ireland'? I see. So terms like 'the six counties', 'da north' and 'the occupied six counties' are out as well are they? Seems a bit pedantic, but I'm happy to stick to 'Northern Ireland' providing everyone else on here does.

As for Afghanistan, I think the purpose of UK armed forces being there is to disrupt Al Queada from using Afghanistan as a base to train and plan attacks on The UK and elsewhere. The Taleban 'police' didn't prove that effective at rooting the Islamofascist scum out unfortunately.

Statistics to back up that "people of Tyrone (mostly Catholics) are more than happy to receive huge subsidies of The UK state"

British Ulster is a phrase that has been paraded around on boards and in real life by loyalists.

There are no Afghan criminals/terrorists in Tyrone. If there is, I trust you to inform the PSNI.

Sorry, I assumed everyone on this forum would be aware that Northern Ireland receives at least £3 billion per year subsidies from The UK. That's equivalent to £2000 per man/woman/child per year. I think it's fairly safe to assume that The Tyrone Catholics get their share of that subsidy (at least), or did you think it only went to Orangemen in Antrim?

As for Afghan criminals, I assume Al Queda won't distinguish between a GAA event and a soccer event when deciding which infidels to blow into the middle of next week.

Sorry, I assumed everyone on this forum would be aware that Northern Ireland receives at least £3 billion per year subsidies from The UK. That's equivalent to £2000 per man/woman/child per year. I think it's fairly safe to assume that The Tyrone Catholics get their share of that subsidy (at least), or did you think it only went to Orangemen in Antrim?

Nice backtracking. You said 'most Catholics' get subsidies, not some Protestants or most Protestants or even few Catholics.

You should of said, most people in NI get subsidies but you mentioned 'most Catholics' instead.
    As for Afghan criminals, I assume Al Queda won't distinguish between a GAA event and a soccer event when deciding which infidels to blow into the middle of next week.

Wild assumptions in fairyland. You must expect attacks in NI from the Taliban :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

jmayo wrote: »
    It is exactly because of that attitude that a lot of Irish people do not like the great Irish Republican movement.
    What attitude would that be-the one were northern nationalists should be quite so that the rest of Ireland can-move on?
    Ah yes we are more Irish than you because we believe that it is ok to kill people (some of them our own) to chase out the evil protestant Johnny foreigner, we listen to the Wolfe Tones and attend commeration ceremonies for the heroes of 1798.
    Hmm, interesting theory-THO.
    Where have I stated its ok to kill anyone? Or indeed, mentioned people of the Protestant faith?
    PS: I dont like the Wolf Tones.
    You do know that a lot of the leaders from 1798 were protestant ?
    I know you'll find this hard to believe, me being a foreigner n all, but I was aware that the 98 Rebellion was led by Protestants, in fact the leader of the uprising was hung up in that foreign land-strange that.
    Perhaps I am also less Irish because I think the two Garda killers released from prison this week are murderers and should still be in jail ?
    Why would you think the Irish justice system was wrong here?
    These men were the only ones involved in the conflict who didnt receive early release under the Good Friday Agreement. Ya wanna take that one up with the Dept of Justice.
    Ah but sure maybe they were thieving and killing to free us all from the evil Empire and set us on the path to being true Irishmen :rolleyes:
    Maybe-but I doubt it.

Your generalisations about me confirm your out of your depth on the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

That's an old trick buddy, call what everyone knows generalisations.

They are not generalisations but informed opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Benster wrote: »

500 posts:eek:

This stuff could go to 1k friend.

"You don't know what its to live here blah blah ...you couldn't possibly form an opinion on something you have been watching and listening to reportage on for years."

No, these boys will keep going to the bitter end ,when in reality only a small percentage of diehards and dissedents in the ROI have any interest in what is happening in the Teddy's Head as they so quaintly put it.

Mention NI down here and most people's eyes glaze over and change the subject.

But these boys will batter on, have no fear about that, luckily most educated people can see through the rhetoric.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement