Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Tyrone village driven mad by British army helicopters'

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

"You don't know what its to live here blah blah ...you couldn't possibly form an opinion on something you have been watching and listening to reportage on for years."

That depends what media outlet is your source. Flutter, from today onwards, I seriously suggest you watch BBC Newsline and UTV Live News every day to educate you on what goes on. And yes, those channels are available on SKY/UPC so no excuse to ignore them.
    No, these boys will keep going to the bitter end ,when in reality only a small percentage of diehards and dissedents in the ROI have any interest in what is happening in the Teddy's Head as they so quaintly put it.

Mention NI down here and most people's eyes glaze over and change the subject.

Got statistics to backup that only diehards and dissidents in ROI are only interested in what goes on in NI?

Funnily enough the SDLP which you do not seem to know who they are and what they stand for care alot in this case.(hint:they are not republican)
    But these boys will batter on, have no fear about that, luckily most educated people can see through the rhetoric.

Oh, i'm educated unlike some posters who haven't a clue about NI in the first place and form opinions written in the Daily Mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

i was wondering why only the Tribune picked this up and thgouth i would find out what the SDLP say on the matter.

http://www.sdlp.ie/news_item.php?id=6753
    SDLP Mid-Ulster MLA Patsy McGlone said he has been contacted by a number of people around Ardboe, Co. Tyrone complaining about low-flying British Army helicopters in the early hours of the morning.

He said; “From what I have heard, two military helicopters came low over Ardboe at around 1:20AM this morning. I understand they may be training for Iraq, but if this is so they can find somewhere else to practice their night-flying.

“This is like something from our bad old days, with cattle running frightened, hay scattered around and children being woken in the middle of the night. Ardboe is a quiet rural area and people there are as entitled as anyone else to a decent night’s sleep. I have contacted the British-Irish Secretariat to demand an explanation, but most of all I will be looking for a firm commitment that nothing like this will happen again. There should be no helicopters flying over houses in the middle of the night except in the direst of emergencies. The peace process should give us peace and quiet too.”

please can this thread end now, this has to be one of the saddest threads ever to appear on the politics forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

500 posts:eek:

This stuff could go to 1k friend.

"You don't know what its to live here blah blah ...you couldn't possibly form an opinion on something you have been watching and listening to reportage on for years."

No, these boys will keep going to the bitter end ,when in reality only a small percentage of diehards and dissedents in the ROI have any interest in what is happening in the Teddy's Head as they so quaintly put it.

Mention NI down here and most people's eyes glaze over and change the subject.

But these boys will batter on, have no fear about that, luckily most educated people can see through the rhetoric.

I have a pretty good education, born and raised in the deep south far away from the North. I am certainly not a dissident or a diehard. I care very deeply about Irish citizens living in the North. And i hate it when people disregard these people just because the live north of the border. I always keep myself abreast of events in the North. I have friends that do the same.

Just because your eyes glaze over dont paint us all with the one brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

i was wondering why only the Tribune picked this up and thgouth i would find out what the SDLP say on the matter.

http://www.sdlp.ie/news_item.php?id=6753

please can this thread end now, this has to be one of the saddest threads ever to appear on the politics forum.

Thanks Fratton. We have now firmly established that the Moderate SDLP are speaking up on behalf of the local populace and are indeed not "been pushed by republicans as further evidence of British evil doings."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

gurramok wrote: »
    Thanks Fratton. We have now firmly established that the Moderate SDLP are speaking up on behalf of the local populace and are indeed not "been pushed by republicans as further evidence of British evil doings."

I read it that someone complained to their local MP and he has taken up the issue, just as an MP should and just as anyone who had army helicoptors annoying them would.

After that, it appears to have been blown out of all proportion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Deedsie wrote: »
    I have a pretty good education, born and raised in the deep south far away from the North. I am certainly not a dissident or a diehard. I care very deeply about Irish citizens living in the North. And i hate it when people disregard these people just because the live north of the border. I always keep myself abreast of events in the North. I have friends that do the same.

Just because your eyes glaze over dont paint us all with the one brush.

Just ignore him mate. He's just a troll and was up to the same tricks on this thread on AH, before he was asked to leave: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055644443&highlight=northern+ireland&page=30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Just ignore him mate. He's just a troll and was up to the same tricks on this thread on AH, before he was asked to leave: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055644443&highlight=northern+ireland&page=30

Usual response from that quarter.

If someone stands up for what they say and opposes your trenchant one sided views ,they are a troll?

There are plenty of good Mods on this forum , and I will abide by their judgment.

What you want sir is, for full access to a forum to promulgate your one sided views and call in your mates to keep it going.

Doesn't fool this poster mate.

By the way it was the "crusty lice head" remark which prompted the Mod in AH to ask me not to post and I complied.

You won't get free rein to spout your rhetoric while I am around.

You are entitled to your opinion as I am .;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

One-sided views? Rhetoric!? No offence but....oh I wont bother - I'll just be ignored and told to 'leave the past' 'join 2009' etc. and be glazed over with some derogatory NI references, so really whats the point in engaging with you?

I was just trying to set the scene of what you're trying to do i.e. riling people over a very sensitive issue not for the purpose of debate but for your own personal satisfaction, while basing your ill-informed (if they arent, provide some links then) opinions as fact and slamming/ignoring other posters questions and points of view as being inferior to yours.

That is all I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I totally disagree with that summation and synopsis of my contributions to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

That's an old trick buddy, call what everyone knows generalisations.

They are not generalisations but informed opinion.

Informed from what source then-buddy ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

"A helicopter hovered about 100 feet above our house at 11.45pm on Monday. The noise was deafening. I have three young children – aged between two and eight. They were terrified. They awoke crying – they didn't know what was happening.

This could easily be a quote from a father in Afghanistan. They don't want the British Army. People in NI don't want that army either. Anti-war Solidarity I say. Who benefits? The London financial elite?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

Just say 'Northern Ireland'? I see. So terms like 'the six counties', 'da north' and 'the occupied six counties' are out as well are they? Seems a bit pedantic, but I'm happy to stick to 'Northern Ireland' providing everyone else on here does.
    Just after seeing this.

There is no such place as 'British Ulster' - it seems like you've used the term as some kind of probing statement to be honest. There was, I suppose, when Ireland (in its entirety might I add) was part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, but now there is no such place as 'British Ulster'. There's only one Ulster and that is the 9 counties which make up that province - no 'British Ulster' and 'Irish Ulster'. There's Northern Ireland which is made up of 6 of the 9 counties of Ulster and these 6 counties on the island of Ireland are under British control. A term like 'the North' (not 'da north' since that's horrible text speak) is used out of convenience.

My point is, if you want to avoid being called up on your misuse of the term Ulster to describe what is Northern Ireland, I suggest you just use Northern Ireland. Most people don't have a problem with using the term.

/rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Húrin wrote: »
    This could easily be a quote from a father in Afghanistan. They don't want the British Army. People in NI don't want that army either. Anti-war Solidarity I say. Who benefits? The London financial elite?

The London financial elite benefits from military helicopter flights in NI? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

One of the regiments serving in afghan at the moment is the rifles who are based were? you guessed it good old Northern Ireland, in fact they are going to be based here for 10 years in total. So if they are based in Northern Ireland it would kind of make sense that they would train in Northern Ireland.
    By the way does anybody know the population mix of the ardboe what is the protestant/catholic, Unionist/Nationalist make of the area, because unless its 100% catholic the chances are protestants are also having helicopters flying low over thier houses as a previous poster desired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

Whats your point here, that its ok because the Unionist population have to listen to a constant drone also?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

weepee wrote: »
    Whats your point here, that its ok because the Unionist population have to listen to a constant drone also?

I believe what he was referring to, if you read the thread through you might have noticed this, was the numerous posters who declared that having a helicopter over a unionist household would be justice / serve them right.. I believe were among the terms used. Funny these were the same posters so concerned with the family in the article. So you see when it comes down to it they showed themselves up as merely supporting the perpetuating bigotry and the community divide which exists in many areas. If people are, as they claim, so concerned with the North they should concern themselves with all it's citizens and all the natives of that part of our island, and not pick and choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Quite right, Prinz, the British should clear off to Britain and not be bothering any of the people of the 6 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

ardmacha wrote: »
    Quite right, Prinz, the British should clear off to Britain and not be bothering any of the people of the 6 counties.

Who begged for the British Army to be deployed in NI in the first place? :confused: Are you referring to the British Army here or to those who wish to maintain the union also? We so often here nuggets such as "Brits out" etc, that I lose track of who that actually means these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

OK, we're done as this thread has gone the same way that every other thread vaguely mentioning Northern Ireland/disputed Ulster/the six county statelet/that-annoying-place-that-keeps-some-of-you-awake-at-night tends to go.

Some of you can head over to the Limerick forum and start a thread complaining about the occasional forays into the city centre of Limerick by the armed response unit's helicopter which has very occasionally kept me awake at night. I didn't invite them in either.

I'm sometimes sure that the issue of Northern Ireland won't be capable of being solved until some of you guys have died. Let's assume another 80 years or so then. At least by then we may have some sort of silent flying hovermachines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement