Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolfenstein(2009) = FAIL

Options
  • 11-08-2009 5:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Having been a very big fan of RTCW and ET for the past few years, Activision
    are releasing Wolfenstein on the 18th of this month.

I honestly expect this one to flop. Carmack isn't even winced about it.
    No Mac and Linux clients because Activision decided to only include DirectX
    support, even though the engine is OpenGL compatible.

The multiplayer is a total joke. I can understand why id doņ't wish to be ****ed
    around by third parties anymore. Activision WILL make a right mess as usual.
    So, anyone else still looking forward to this Call of Duty clone?

I say boycott the bastards. They have ruined one of my fave game
    franchises for at least a few years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

In fairness, all the Wolfenstein games after Wolf3d were fairly sh*te. I might give this one a rent, just for sh*ts and giggles, but it's not exactly one of my must haves, this year.

And considering you're battling the undead, I'd hardly call it a Call of Duty clone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

I think its a fact that people that program games like this very very much dislike the kind of player it is aimed at.

After almost 15 years of FPS gaming, 10 years of proper competitive gaming, they still screw up the basics, all the basics (like UT3) and then the game has to be heavily patched, THEN heavily modded by the community just to make them playable in a competitive sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

have you lot played this game then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

indough wrote: »
    have you lot played this game then?

No chance, but he knows a friend of a friend of a friend who's played it and he didn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

jonny72 wrote: »
    I think its a fact that people that program games like this very very much dislike the kind of player it is aimed at.

After almost 15 years of FPS gaming, 10 years of proper competitive gaming, they still screw up the basics, all the basics (like UT3) and then the game has to be heavily patched, THEN heavily modded by the community just to make them playable in a competitive sense.

I think you're confused as to who this game is aimed at :confused:
    Aiming ANY game at the competitive community would be financial stupidity. It's such a tiny niche when compared to the Joe Casual demographic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

GigaByte wrote: »
    No chance, but he knows a friend of a friend of a friend who's played it and he didn't like it.

its comments like this and the one above that are just plain obvious and smug. you arent really getting what the op was saying.. at all.

i can understand as the gameplay in ET was very specific. it was a so much faster then cod & cs while still keeping it a tactical affair. it will be a shame if this just goes with the popular curve and becomes a Cod clone. i remember when UT3 came out and it just plain sucked for competitive play. took tons of patches and maps to get up to speed. i loved rtcw so i have high hopes for this in single player, but yeah, with activision doing the multiplayer all i say is g'luck and see you on quakelive :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Jazzy wrote: »
    its comments like this and the one above that are just plain obvious and smug. you arent really getting what the op was saying.. at all.

i can understand as the gameplay in ET was very specific. it was a so much faster then cod & cs while still keeping it a tactical affair. it will be a shame if this just goes with the popular curve and becomes a Cod clone. i remember when UT3 came out and it just plain sucked for competitive play. took tons of patches and maps to get up to speed. i loved rtcw so i have high hopes for this in single player, but yeah, with activision doing the multiplayer all i say is g'luck and see you on quakelive :p

i think maybe you are slightly misreading the op, as it sounds as though he has totally written off the game full stop

personally i wont be playing it for anything but the singler player campaign really, as like yourself i liked rtcw and that leaves me hopeful for this one

it seems like a large portion of gamers do completely disregard anything but online play these days though so maybe im just a bit outdated or something

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

Played the leaked PC beta last week and as an daily W:ET player for the last 4/5 years,I was a bit surprised it wasnt as bad as i was expecting,and as this is still a beta im sure some small things will be adjusted.
    I would have loved a revamp of W:ET,not a COD expansion pack,but as all the gaming money is spent by console owners nowadays this was not going to happen.
    Basically this is a revamp of ET:Quakewars with a WWII theme,didnt like QW(vehicles and WOMD) but hopefully the community will get a PROmod Wolfenstein version sorted within the 1st six months and if there is proper anticheat support,it should be a great competitive game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Jazzy wrote: »

I wasn't getting at what he was saying?? Did you read his post or even the title of this thread?

He's saying "I say boycott the bastards." and he hasn't even played the game.

Not everyone is interested in playing online you know. Did anyone actual play RTCW in multiplayer mode. Most people I know played ET instead. RTCW was played for the single player mode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

GigaByte wrote: »
    Did you read his post or even the title of this thread?

NO I DID NOT

• Advertisement

RTCW was played alot online and there are even some servers still going,most of the die hard RTCW players had to start playing W:ET as more people started playing W:ET and numbers dwindled in RTCW servers.

I personally couldnt be bothered with single player FPS games,the AI is too predicatable and the whole game becomes very linear,online you can have craic and every game is different,and beating a real person/team is much more satisfying that beating a bot.

I agree that slating a game and its developers before playing the game is a bit much,I think this is mainly down to a lot of people have been waiting for this game for years now and the initial info that was released bit by bit, lead people to be pissed off that it was just another COD clone.As i was saying in a previous post I wasnt expecting much, as Wolfenstein uses the same engine as ET:QW ,which was too slow for me,but after loading up a good config in Wolfenstein,I was pleasantly surprised.It has potential.

The W:ET & ET:QW community has annouced the team to produce the PROmod version of Wolfenstein so I would be confident that this will greatly improve the online gameplay,like ETpro did for W:ET.

So for single PC players and console players this is a game that would be worth renting as an alternative to COD,for online PC players I would wait to buy until the end of the year (itll be cheaper :) )or ontil the PROmod is finished.

This is a good site www.crossfire.nu for the latest info on RTCW,W:ET,ET:QW and Wolfenstein,as you will see a lot of people are very dissapointed about the new game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

god.. With all the acronyms i thought i was reading a new tom clancy book..

god..when I got notification about a reply to a post I thought it might have been a constructive post..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

SaKuRa wrote: »
    god..when I got notification about a reply to a post I thought it might have been a constructive post..

How about this one? doozerconstruction.jpg

U must be confused,looks more like ET:QW with the vehicles than Wolfenstein.

Advertisement