Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watching TOS for the first time!

Options
  • 11-08-2009 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Even though I'm a big fan of TNG, DS9 and Voyager, I never watched a
    full episode of TOS. Given that there is no more Trek being made right
    now (aside from the movies). I figured it was a good time to watch it
    and possibly to give Enterprise a second chance.

I watched the (first) Pilot last night with Christopher Pike in the captain's
    chair. I never watched TOS properly before because I assumed it would
    be cheesey and dated to the point of being unenjoyable. I have to say I
    was pleasantly surprised. The pilot was a good show, leaving aside a
    couple of obvious continuity issues for the rest of the ST universe like
    Spock laughing and the crew referring to the Light Speed barrier being
    recently broken.

I'm looking forward now to watching TOS season 1 in the near future when I get it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

A very worthwhile endeavour. Ive recently rewatched TOS for only the second time, and I have to say - it went before its time. Its generally accepted that seasons 1 & 2 were its strongest, with season 3 having some far fecthed stories and less influence by Roddenberry, but I enjoyed all three. Its quite superior to early TNG eps, and holds its own unbelieavably well considering its age.

Its an honest show, with no BS. Yes the effects are feeble by todays standards, but that makes it in no way "cheesy". A lot of brilliant episodes. Enjoy your task!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Ah, it really was a great show -- no fluke that this thing spawned a 40+ year franchise. Some truly outstanding episodes, including themes and topics that were well ahead of their time.

Plus you've got Kirk, Spock and McCoy and the interactions between them which make nearly any episode a joy to watch. And it's funny too, without trying too hard (although that's not too evident in The Cage pilot. I think they were told to lighten things up a bit after that). It's an easy going humour that doesn't get in the way, and something they've consistently failed to reproduce ever since.

If you haven't bought Season 1 yet, I'd recommend the new remastered versions. Updated effects and an alround cleaner picture and sound. Very tastefully done, unlike those Star Wars abominations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

I recently just finished the 3rd season and can say that after watching all 3 that the first is the best IMHO. Some of the storylines were well ahead of its time. The remastered versions are the only way to watch em now too.....but if they started releasing remastered versions of TNG in the future with SFX that never originally aired I wouldnt touch em with a bargepole. I grew up watching em the way they are & I want em to stay that way. Nostalgia I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

i love TNG and some of the others...but TOS is miles miles ahead in quality....the stories are just way better & deeper, with loads of layers and moral questions and dilemmas that wrecked my head.....you quickly forget about the dodgy effects because the writing is so good.......to the OP: the first episode is crap....when you watch a few more you'll see that shatner is the man ,always will be ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Love TOS too. I am watching some random episodes recently. There is an episode where they land on a Roman empire type planet. Has gladiatorial games on televison. Another episode the gamesters of Triskellion is about gladiatorial games too. It is a common enough theme in TOS. Voyager tried to copy it disastrously, had the rock in an episode:mad::mad:

Nothing like TOS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

the greek and roman themes definitely made TOS more classical, like one was watching aesops fables on tv. The Apollo episode was thought provoking and cheesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

wait till you see the ep ”Spock's Brain”.
    Big TOS fan here. Cast is great. Plots often excellent. It's more original and science-fictioney than later series.
    Like all Trek series, quite a few clunkers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Brain and brain, what is brain?!

The eden episode was also a cracker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Goodshape wrote: »
    Ah, it really was a great show -- no fluke that this thing spawned a 40+ year franchise. Some truly outstanding episodes, including themes and topics that were well ahead of their time.

Plus you've got Kirk, Spock and McCoy and the interactions between them which make nearly any episode a joy to watch. And it's funny too, without trying too hard (although that's not too evident in The Cage pilot. I think they were told to lighten things up a bit after that). It's an easy going humour that doesn't get in the way, and something they've consistently failed to reproduce ever since.

If you haven't bought Season 1 yet, I'd recommend the new remastered versions. Updated effects and an alround cleaner picture and sound. Very tastefully done, unlike those Star Wars abominations.

I think that the interactions between Garek and Bashir, Dax and well anyone she could embarrass etc were very easy and enjoyable comedic moments that did not distract from them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

The eden episode was also a cracker.

I actually like that one.:D You must be a Herbert ;)

Anyway great to see some love for TOS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

It's a great series. Check out Balance of Terror, Space Seed, Where No Man has gone before... Man I wanna watch some now! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

BluRay arrived last week. Only got a chance to watch Man Trap (Bloody air date order and not production date)

Herself watched it, don't think that she was enamored with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MetalDawg

I actually like that one.:D You must be a Herbert ;)

Anyway great to see some love for TOS

I love that one too. "We reach" :D

Advertisement