Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cup rings on Indian rosewood (Sheesham) - Removing?

Options
  • 11-08-2009 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I recently discovered a ring from a hot cup on my Indian Rosewood (Sheesham) coffee table. Can any of you wood gurus recommend a way to remove this ring? Does the table have to be sanded back or can I buy a stained wax? Would a few coats of regular wax help fade the mark over time? Any advice appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've tried this "cure" which I got online; spread some fresh mayonaise over the affected area and leave this for a few hours or up to a day. Wipe off with a kitchen towel and you should find the ring has disappeared. This will work with most minor ring marks. You can get proprietary ring removal creams also, which are effective too; any decent hardware or paint shop should have these, but try the mayonaise trick first!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

Hi There.A ring mark in polish is actually trapped moisture in the finish.Much like condensation on a window.A lot depends on the type of finish used on the table.Yes ther are loads of home remedies to try, you may be lucky.Honestly I haven't seen any work completly.Over the conter fixes should always be approached with caution.Some are just coloured lacquor, or polish.You just rub them over the ring to hide it.The big trick is finding a colour to match.Always try it on a small, unseen area first.Once on it stays.The ring is in the polish not on the surface.If the table is a waxed finish then a wax may hide it but I would be doubtful.
    Ask the supplier if they have any info to give.If not ask a local wood finisher, polisher, furniture repair fro advice.It is easy to create a bigger problem by trial and error.I have had to srtip table tops due to well intended remedies.
    Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Cheers, D.craftsman, plenty of detail there and enough to get me started on finding a solution anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

My granny swore that wet ciggy ash would remove ring marks from any wood,and she was right it does. Damp cloth,dip in ash,go with the grain.Simples.

Advertisement