Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1.4 Megane I Not holding temp under load

• 11-08-2009 7:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Is there any common cooling faults on the 1.4 Megane (mark1)?

I have to go look at a friends one later, its been in and out of the garage for the last month and its still over heating (temp starts to rise slowly) while under load (say going down the M50 @100kph)... so far its had a new HG, water pump, thermostat...

I'm starting to think it might be something really basic like the pressure relief cap or a small leak some where like the heater control valve ect...

Is there any special tricks for bleeding these?

Any common things to check?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

try cleaning out the rad maybe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The Rad would be my starting point too. Try some rad flush, or getting a mechanic to powerhose it through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Is it losing water..? ..can you smell hot coolant IN the car..?..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭anon11

was the head pressure tested when it was off? possible the rad is blocked, if rad weld or some of them products were used in can block up the system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi guys thanks for the replies...

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, hoping to get over to it tomorrow... I'll get a hose onto it and flush the rad and make sure its ok... I hate that rad weld crap...

Just wanted to know if there was something really specific on these, or a special way of bleeding them to bring up the cooling system correctly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

First thing to check, is the car actually overheating. I have seen faulty gauges showing the temp much hotter than it actually was.

If the car is overheating then the fan should be on. If it isn't on and the gauge is reading high then the gauge may be wrong.

There is no heater control valve on a Megane. I think it is unlikely to be the pressure cap although a cheap fix if it is. If a garage has already replaced the HG, thermostat and water pump and given the car back still overheating then they sound like a crowd of idiots, there is no guarantee they did anything right. Also it's possible to get a brand new thermostat that is faulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

BrianD3 wrote: »
    First thing to check, is the car actually overheating. I have seen faulty gauges showing the temp much hotter than it actually was.

If the car is overheating then the fan should be on. If it isn't on and the gauge is reading high then the gauge may be wrong.

There is no heater control valve on a Megane. I think it is unlikely to be the pressure cap although a cheap fix if it is. If a garage has already replaced the HG, thermostat and water pump and given the car back still overheating then they sound like a crowd of idiots, there is no guarantee they did anything right. Also it's possible to get a brand new thermostat that is faulty.

Thanks...

Its not my own car, its my cousin's, just said I'd pop over and have a look...

Ok so there's no heater control valve, they just divert air across it, the R50 Mini is done the same way, replaced an internal heater matrix in one of these the other week.

He's really just looking for a second opinion. The garage has actually pulled out the thermostat at this stage, so see if that helps anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Hi All,

Is there any common cooling faults on the 1.4 Megane (mark1)?

I have to go look at a friends one later, its been in and out of the garage for the last month and its still over heating (temp starts to rise slowly) while under load (say going down the M50 @100kph)... so far its had a new HG, water pump, thermostat...

I'm starting to think it might be something really basic like the pressure relief cap or a small leak some where like the heater control valve ect...

Is there any special tricks for bleeding these?

Any common things to check?

to bleed this there is a black water pipe connection on the rhs of the engine oveer the gearbox.
    u will see a couple of size 10 bolts holding it to the the engine.butt u will see one size ten out of position to the rest of them.undo this with the engine off,but make sure the water bottle has sufficient water and it may be hot water so mind the hands.
    when you see a steady flow of water coming out from the bolt hole its bled.

there is anothher bleed screw on the pipes taking water into the heater matrix,not sure if its on your car tho.

Advertisement