Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Details used. [Fraud]

Options
  • 11-08-2009 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Got my monthly visa statement yesterday and there was 250 euro worth of phone topups on it.
    I immediately knew i was done.
    There were 6 or 7 O2 online topups for 30 euro and some Meteor.
    I rang and got the card cancelled and rang o2 and Meteor and told them what happened.
    I am thinking of going to the gardai as I am sure they could get the numbers toppped up from the companies involved.
    I am racking my brains trying to think how they could have gotten the details.
    They had the csc (CVV) code aswell.
    The only thing I can think of is that my bins were rummaged through.
    I cut (didnt shred) 2 of my cards up and binned them as I am clearing them off and havent physically used them in over 6 months. I have used them online to purchase small items and transfer the money back onto them straight away.
    I felt physically sick yeaterday when I saw the bill.
    10 years of having a CC and this is the first incident.
    Anyway needed to get this off my chest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

sham69 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Got my monthly visa statement yesterday and there was 250 euro worth of phone topups on it.
    I immediately knew i was done.
    There were 6 or 7 O2 online topups for 30 euro and some Meteor.
    I rang and got the card cancelled and rang o2 and Meteor and told them what happened.
    I am thinking of going to the gardai as I am sure they could get the numbers toppped up from the companies involved.

Well first of all, having the card cancelled was exactly what was needed. The card company should then proceed to try and reclaim the funds for you. There is no point ringing Meteor and O2, because even if they could tell you anything, they wouldn't be allowed to. Data Protection applies to everyone, even fraudsters.

The Gardai can get that information. It'll be hit and miss whether they'll be overly bothered about €250 worth of damage the card company will sort out, however.
    I am racking my brains trying to think how they could have gotten the details.

Could be 101 different ways, alas.
    They had the csc (CVV) code aswell.

3 digit numbers are easy for fraudsters to remember/scribble down while they clone cards
    The only thing I can think of is that my bins were rummaged through.
    I cut (didnt shred) 2 of my cards up and binned them as I am clearing them off and havent physically used them in over 6 months. I have used them online to purchase small items and transfer the money back onto them straight away.

Possible - but your CVV wouldn't be on any binned documents, and if they used old cards then the details (and CVV) would be different, and the purchases made by the fraudsters would have went unto those cards. Even still - never bin a whole card!

It'll happen to most card users every now and again TBH. Fact of life these days, and all you can do is work with the card company to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

What a sickner!! You should definately get the Gardai involved.. even if you don't get your money back at least the people responsible could be brought to justice. Have you tried calling the bank/card company and telling them that you're not responsible for the transactions.. I've often heard that you just need to inform them and they'll write off the debt..this may have changed now with the whole banking situation and I'm not sure if you need to prove you didn't charge the card..which could be difficult if the they were used online..

Is there any chance that a friend/relative got the details from your wallet? Supposedly in a lot of these cases the culprit is related to the card owner in some way..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sham69 wrote: »
    It does happen to everyone, and you actually can't see it as a reflection on your own security - it's likely that you've done nothing wrong.

A lot of places that you buy online from will actually store your full credit card details on file unless they're using a provider like worldpay or paypal. A number of surveys of IT managers looking after websites taking payments have shown that not only do many places have inadequate security in place, the majority of them don't even have the systems in place to tell them when a breach has occured.

So your card details (along with others) could have been taken from a site who still remain blissfully unaware that any such details were stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭littletiger

Sickener man. The thought that your details can be used takes the good out of buy stuff online. I am always worried about fraud and have little confidence in any promised security systems even paypal.

Does your credit card provider not have a responsibilty to cover your out of pocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Card Company is sending me out a form to fill out to get the money back on the card.
    Strange thing is I havent used this particular card in over 6 months.
    I have got it set up on paypal but havent been using it.
    Got a new card about 3 weeks ago as the card was due to expire shortly.
    I was just thinking that the only way they could have got the card number, name and address and CVV number would be the physical cut up card from my bin.
    The only other way would be skimming it or hacking my pc.
    The people in 02 and Meteor were grand and did say they had the numbers but obviously couldnt give them to me (even though my card paid for the credit!!!), they did say the police could get them if needed.
    I am just paraniod now about using my laser or credit card ever again.
    I did ask the person yesterday if there was somebody who monitors transactions as it looked very fishy to me, no transaction history for 6 months plus and then 250 euro worth of 02 and Meteor topups over a 4 day period?
    Anyway as others have said, 250 is not that bad, could have been a hell of a lot worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

All this talk of ATM & CC fraud on boards.ie has me checking my online banking twice a day now!! Im completely paranoid someones gonna swipe my dosh!
    If this is such a major problem in Ireland & globally then why arent banks & CC companies doing more to prevent such incidences?
    This has been going on for a number of years now & nothing seems to be changing. Ive never been a victim of it myself but know 3 who have!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

has anybody gotten those dodgy mails from "AIB" asking for your online banking details and all 100 of your codes from your code card. It is a html page and is dressed up to look the same as the online banking system... I would think a lot of older people, especially people with @eircom.net email addresses could fall for the scam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Yeah you would think they would tighten security on cards.
    Whats the point of the chip and pin cards if you can still perform transactions over the internet without the pin.
    Surely they could implement a pin check aswell as the CVV?
    Is there some sort of data protection thing that they couldnt ask for your pin?

Advertisement