Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schumacher Calls off Come Back!!!!

• 11-08-2009 8:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

Shumacher calls off come back

He has had to call it off due to a neck injury, alot of dissapointed people me included

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Pity, if true.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

Just read it, gutted!!!!!,they was always the chance his neck wasnt going to hold up such a shame, It would hav been great for the sport to see him back. I hadnt booked monza yet as i was holding on to make sure he was there. Ah well:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Gutted.

Oh well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

This is terrible news, I was so excited about Schuey coming back, real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

Gutted...could have been one of the great comebacks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

Ah thats a shame poor chap seemed like a funny guy on top gear so i bet he's he is heart broken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Damn bike injuries...maybe he'll replace Casey Stoner instead?!

I am devastated now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Pity, if true.....
    Its on Sky, ITV website, his official website - appears it is indeed true.

Gutted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

'Twas always unlikely, tbh, as I don't think he would've returned if he'd been way off the time.
    Neck injury, hmmm, maybe :rolleyes:

Pity though, "The Return Of The King" would have been historic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

mrmac wrote: »
    'Twas always unlikely, tbh, as I don't think he would've returned if he'd been way off the time.
    Neck injury, hmmm, maybe :rolleyes:

What a load of bull! I was waiting for the first stupid comment like that. Who was to know if he was way off the time? He didnt drive the F60, he drove a 2007 car running on gp2 tyres operated by clienti ferrari!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Pity, do think he would have been on the pace, but maybe not blowing the way the field in the current Ferrari. I'm sure from two or three races there would have been something a bit special from him but who knows now

Badoer named as replacement, nothing too exciting there, but good to see Ferrari giving there long standing test driver the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

NOOOOOOOooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!..............that is all..:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

since massa is out for the rest of the season, if his neck fixes up a bit mabye he will get afew races at the end of the season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lendrew1

since massa is out for the rest of the season, if his neck fixes up a bit mabye he will get afew races at the end of the season?
    I'm hoping for that too but there are reports that Massa could be back for suzuka.

I'm hoping that one of the Ferrari drivers get swine flu next year:P

kevogy wrote: »
    Live in hope - but won't hold my breath.
    lendrew1 wrote: »
    I'm hoping for that too but there are reports that Massa could be back for suzuka.

I'm hoping that one of the Ferrari drivers get swine flu next year:P
    Some reports are suggesting that Massa might never be back :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Top Dog wrote: »
    Live in hope - but won't hold my breath.

Some reports are suggesting that Massa might never be back :confused:

What reports are those, doubt Massa would want to quit F1 and his health seems to be fine according to whhat his doctor have said

I don't think its in any way anything to do with his desire to return, more slight concern over any long-term damage to his eye. So far things are looking good for him, but you just never know when its an organ that sensitive to damage and impairment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Maybe Schumacher felt he was not goin to be competitive enough and didnt have the balls to throw his hat in the ring

What a load of bull! I was waiting for the first stupid comment like that. Who was to know if he was way off the time? He didnt drive the F60, he drove a 2007 car running on gp2 tyres operated by clienti ferrari!

No bull, nor stupid, merely another perspective on the vanity of Mr. M. Schumacher.

I believe the, very clever, people at Ferrari, would be well able to compare the track data from Michaels testing, with actually race data from the '07 season. I'm also quite sure that they could interpolate that data into present day data, especially as they already have actual race data from this season. Therefore, it's not too hard to estimate how he would perform in the '09 car. It's all in the maths :)

Considering the amount of publicity this would have created, it's amazing that he decided not to race, if even for a few laps. I'd be more of the opinion that Ferrari, or more likely, that Michael, knew he could'nt compete with the young guns, and decided to withdraw! The big man always did have a big head (earned it though!).

So if you wish to keep your Ferrari God on a pedestal, go right ahead (loads of fellow followers), but please spare the rest of us from the hype (and childish comments).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I can't say I'm shocked at the news. I wasn't sure how well Schuey would be able to cope with the physical demands of the car after being out for so long. Guess those high G's are taking their toll on his neck, especially with him having injured it and all...

• Advertisement

No bull, nor stupid, merely another perspective on the vanity of Mr. M. Schumacher.

Indeed you are intitled to your perspective, as i am mine. And i am confident that the reason Michael is not racing in Valencia is not because he is afraid of the competition- merely that his fractures to his head and neck area have not allowed him to build up the necessary muscles to sustain F1 G forces.
    But you go right ahead and think the reason he is not going to race is as a result of his vanity! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

I believe the, very clever, people at Ferrari, would be well able to compare the track data from Michaels testing, with actually race data from the '07 season. I'm also quite sure that they could interpolate that data into present day data, especially as they already have actual race data from this season. Therefore, it's not too hard to estimate how he would perform in the '09 car. It's all in the maths :)

Considering the amount of publicity this would have created, it's amazing that he decided not to race, if even for a few laps. I'd be more of the opinion that Ferrari, or more likely, that Michael, knew he could'nt compete with the young guns, and decided to withdraw! The big man always did have a big head (earned it though!).

So if you wish to keep your Ferrari God on a pedestal, go right ahead (loads of fellow followers), but please spare the rest of us from the hype (and childish comments).

The fact is he broke his neck and cracked his head in Feb in a motorbike crash. Doctors are advising him/not letting him race. The easy things for him would have been not to every try.

No, Ferrari definitely would not be able to compare his performance in the F2007 to the F60 as the F2007 was running on GP2 tyres, not even a 2007 F1 tyre

Just to note that Schmuacher beat alot of current F1 stars in a karting event a few weeks ago, including Kubica. Kubica admitted that they were all trying 100 % , so I think he could have been up to speed, but could not last a race

... you go right ahead and think the reason he is not going to race is as a result of his vanity!

Thank-you, I will.
    I'm not alone, you know :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Schumacher is no longer fast enough, but my guess (and call me cynical) is that he is intelligent enough to know that racing on an unfamiliar track, in an unfamiliar car, having not participated in F1 in three years had the potential for massive disappointment. I reckon this decision has more to do with the fact that he hasn't had a chance to test this year's car than any neck problems.

Personally, I wouldn't bet against some deal being struck with Williams, Red Bull, etc, which allows Schumacher to test the F60 at some point over the next month, before making a comeback at the more familiar Monza (should Massa not be back by then).

I think Ferrari's reason for picking Badoer over Gene, despite the fact that the Spaniard would undoubtedly be more competitive, is one of loyalty. He's been with them a long time, and they f-cked him over in favour of Salo in 1999, so they owe him a chance.

Thank-you, I will.
    I'm not alone, you know :rolleyes:

So, god forbid you broke your neck. Do you think You would be able to withstand the forces on your neck for a full grand prix at racing speed ?

I doubt it very much. Mark Webber said he was still having issues with his leg that he broke on November and the leg is not nearly as stressed at the neck in F1

schumacher isnt racing because of his neck injury and that alone. You dont looses a talent as big as his its something ur born with. Ive no doubt in my mind if he was able to race he would hav been competitive and won a few races because he wasnt like kimi + co who needed a competitive car to win. There is one thing you could never say about bout schumacher is that he was afraid of a challange!! It is a massive dissapointment dat he wont be in valencia. And im sure his the most dissapointed of all as i bet he relished the prospect of teaching the younger guys a thing or 2.

Massive disappointment. I booked Monza on the basis Schmuacher would be there

RayM wrote: »
    I wouldn't go as far as to say that Schumacher is no longer fast enough, but my guess (and call me cynical) is that he is intelligent enough to know that racing on an unfamiliar track, in an unfamiliar car, having not participated in F1 in three years had the potential for massive disappointment. I reckon this decision has more to do with the fact that he hasn't had a chance to test this year's car than any neck problems.

that is one of schumachers great strenghts getting into a new car or new track and been bang on the pace straight away. I honestlty believe its as simple as his neck not been strong enough. His not kimi or button or the majority of the grid infact who need hundreds of laps of testing. All he had to do was show up to beat kimi and dat is all that was expected of him even with a dodgey neck he prob would hav done that considering kimi has hardly shown up at a race in 2yrs

Indeed you are intitled to your perspective, as i am mine. And i am confident that the reason Michael is not racing in Valencia is not because he is afraid of the competition- merely that his fractures to his head and neck area have not allowed him to build up the necessary muscles to sustain F1 G forces.
    But you go right ahead and think the reason he is not going to race is as a result of his vanity! :cool:

The statement that Schumacher (or any other red-blooded competitive former WC racing driver) is reluctant to race due to vanity is laughable and certainly justifies any vanity or narcissistic tendencies he may have!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Fugly

:(:(:(:( Damn him raising my hopes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

I think estimate is the key word here. Look at the Brawn team at the start of the season, Launched their car about a month beforehand, not much testing, not much known about the testing and they show up and one-two the first race. F1 cannot be tested on a computer program, no matter how similiar the cars, tracks and drivers. Its all down to what happens each time the driver gets behind the wheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

enzo7 wrote: »
    that is one of schumachers great strenghts getting into a new car or new track and been bang on the pace straight away. I honestlty believe its as simple as his neck not been strong enough. His not kimi or button or the majority of the grid infact who need hundreds of laps of testing. All he had to do was show up to beat kimi and dat is all that was expected of him even with a dodgey neck he prob would hav done that considering kimi has hardly shown up at a race in 2yrs

You don't have to convince me that he's great, but I don't believe that even Michael Schumacher could be immediately on the pace in a (mediocre) car that he's never driven, at a track on which he's never driven, having not participated in a Grand Prix in almost three years.

I still have a feeling that (with Bernie's help) Williams and Red Bull will be presuaded to allow him to test the car and his neck will miraculously recover in time for Monza.

Another point to add about schumacher deciding not to race - he was booked in to test the 2007 car again today and tomorrow. Now surely if, as some unwise people in here suggest, he was dissapointed with his previous testing times, he would give it one final chance to see if he could be on the pace!

The simple fact is that its his neck that is not permiting him to race, not his testing times. Anyone suggesting otherwise is clearly just ill informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Call him vain or whatever you like. What you cannot call him is uncompetitive. New track, new car whatever, it didn't really matter. There is no way that man would have backed out of this challenge. To suggest that he chickened out is just laughable, sorry. The most competitive F1 driver I have ever seen would hardly shy away from the job given to him by Ferrari.
    Just remember that Masa's accident wasn't exactly planed and Michael's comeback wasn't either.

The timing, for the likes of Bernie and Ferrari bosses, couldn't be better, agreed, but the facts remain that he is not up to the physical pressures of F1 racing at this point.

competely agree, The guy thrived on challanges. There is no way he has "chickened out" thats as crazy as when some reckoned he retired because he was afraid of kimi. Seriously the guy has a dodgey neck its as simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Ah tits, its like someone just cancelled christmas for me......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I'm a bit disappointed but not MASSIVELY...

I think it's a bit sad the way Bernie et al were getting so excited about the comeback and talking about the possibility of him competing next year. Is a 40 year old retiree really so essential? Which is bigger - Herr Schumacher or the sport? IMO we have had 2 great and dramatic championships this last 2 seasons where Schumacher's name was not even mentioned.

There is huge depth of talent on the grid right now - Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel (and the reincarnation of old boys like Button and Webber).

As an F1 fan I don't need Schuey to make Valencia interessting.
    I wanna know -
    Will the Brawns re-discover their form
    - Will McLaren be quick again
    - Will Alonso race in the much-improved renault
    - Will Webber close the gap a little more

Schuey is a legend and signed off with an amazing drive but every dog has his day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Lots of pics of his bike accident here:
    http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=106461&st=40&p=3477220&#entry3477220

As you can see it was a very serious crash and did damage to his neck that obviously can't recover 100% from.
    Was really looking forward to him racing against his young replacments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I'm delighted....

...that is all.

I think some folks here are losing their memory of what Michael was really like, as well as insulting the current crop of F1 drivers. Schumacher was a fantastic driver, no denying that, but let us not forget the mans over-powering need to win! Yes, he is a born racer, no-one is saying otherwise, especially not me, as I've watched & supported his career since it's start. I've also felt it necessary to defend his actions during that time, by saying "he's just a hot-blooded racer", "that's just racing" etc. The fact is, the guy was a race-demon! That's what made him great! That's what drove him to 7 world championships! That was 3 years ago, and a lot has changed since then. Personally, I think Sebastian Vettel is an outstanding driver, and I'd have loved to see the two compete.

There is no doubt that he does have a neck injury. However, if Schumacher was able to demonstrate a competitive time, (even with an '07 car compaired to actual '07 race data), do you think he would have let that injury stop him from racing!? NO WAY! If he had half a chance of mixing it up, at the front of the grid, he would've raced - no doubt in my mind, he just wouldn't be able to resist!

So why did he withdraw?

His neck injury is blamed as the deciding factor. Sure, it plays a part, but I really don't think that is the full picture here. If you've got a track record like his, you've got nothing to prove! If you know you're not going to be competitive, why bother? I used the word vanity before, and it is fitting for M.Schumacher : belief in one's own abilities or attractiveness to others. I can't see him risking his image if the odds are so high against him.

It's time to remove the blinkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

pburns wrote: »
    I'm a bit disappointed but not MASSIVELY...

I think it's a bit sad the way Bernie et al were getting so excited about the comeback and talking about the possibility of him competing next year. Is a 40 year old retiree really so essential? Which is bigger - Herr Schumacher or the sport? IMO we have had 2 great and dramatic championships this last 2 seasons where Schumacher's name was not even mentioned.

There is huge depth of talent on the grid right now - Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel (and the reincarnation of old boys like Button and Webber).

As an F1 fan I don't need Schuey to make Valencia interessting.
    I wanna know -
    Will the Brawns re-discover their form
    - Will McLaren be quick again
    - Will Alonso race in the much-improved renault
    - Will Webber close the gap a little more

Schuey is a legend and signed off with an amazing drive but every dog has his day.

Thank you!

I think lots of people got into F1 because of Schumacher. Now thats fine, but the problem is a lot of these people think F1 never existed before MS and when he retired it ended.:rolleyes:

Get over it, Schumacher is just another man in the list of immensely talented drivers who dominated the sport, F1 was here before him, its still here after him and fans of the sport (not the driver) dont need him back to make things interesting or exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

So why did he withdraw?
    You could be really cynical and say it was all just a PR stunt.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You could be really cynical and say it was all just a PR stunt.

I don't think so. I'd say he gave it full throttle; it's the only way he knows how.

I think some folks here are losing their memory of what Michael was really like, as well as insulting the current crop of F1 drivers. Schumacher was a fantastic driver, no denying that, but let us not forget the mans over-powering need to win! Yes, he is a born racer, no-one is saying otherwise, especially not me, as I've watched & supported his career since it's start. I've also felt it necessary to defend his actions during that time, by saying "he's just a hot-blooded racer", "that's just racing" etc. The fact is, the guy was a race-demon! That's what made him great! That's what drove him to 7 world championships! That was 3 years ago, and a lot has changed since then. Personally, I think Sebastian Vettel is an outstanding driver, and I'd have loved to see the two compete.

There is no doubt that he does have a neck injury. However, if Schumacher was able to demonstrate a competitive time, (even with an '07 car compaired to actual '07 race data), do you think he would have let that injury stop him from racing!? NO WAY! If he had half a chance of mixing it up, at the front of the grid, he would've raced - no doubt in my mind, he just wouldn't be able to resist!

So why did he withdraw?

His neck injury is blamed as the deciding factor. Sure, it plays a part, but I really don't think that is the full picture here. If you've got a track record like his, you've got nothing to prove! If you know you're not going to be competitive, why bother? I used the word vanity before, and it is fitting for M.Schumacher : belief in one's own abilities or attractiveness to others. I can't see him risking his image if the odds are so high against him.

Are you mad?! You have obviously NEVER had any type of neck injury, never mind a fracture & severe muscle damage. I can vouch that any neck injury certainly makes life a lot more reactive to the most inane things without subjecting the irreparable muscles and tender fracture area to several loads of F1 racing g-forces.

I think you will find that Michael Schumacher is extremely fit, repairing well but just not capable of enduring a 2hour sustained F1 race as a direct result of his injuries...nothing more.

To pursue your theory ...try the 'conspiracy theories' forum area.

I think the only blinkers around here in need of removal are your own! So how does schumacher not testing today and yesterday fit into your silly theory? Surely a man as competitive as him would at least try and bring down his testing times and give it one last go!

Il say it again and maybe it will sink it - HE IS NOT RACING BECAUSE HIS NECK FRACTURE HAS NOT PERMITTED HIM TO BUILD UP THE REQUIRED NECK MUSCLES TO SUSTAIN F1 G.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AskYerMa

post deleted, adds nothing to the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AskYerMa

post deleted, adds nothing to the topic.

Il say it again and maybe it will sink it - HE IS NOT RACING BECAUSE HIS NECK FRACTURE HAS NOT PERMITTED HIM TO BUILD UP THE REQUIRED NECK MUSCLES TO SUSTAIN F1 G.
    While I agree with you, I do have a question (which merely calls for opinion).

As you have said yourself, he has not built up the required neck muscles. In various reports I have seen the word "yet" added into that sentance. Would you think that its still possible that we could see him back in an F1 car this season if he continues to work on improving the muscles, or is the whole idea most likely going to be abandoned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Most people will know im not the biggest Schumacher fan here. but I think its silly to think that he would not compete because he cant win. He spent plenty of time "not winning" and lately too on motorbikes.

In that bike accident, he practically faceplanted at 130 and knocked himself out cold. Seemingly while testing karts his neck started to complain, usually they hit 3G max. The braking in F1 would cause issues to put it mildly.

Think about it.....you're 40, have a wife and kids and you've proved what you need to in racing. Why risk doing serious/permanent damage to your neck when you know it needs more time to recover?

I doubt he had major trouble getting on the pace, unless it was a result of his neck. Much, much lesser and older drivers have been able to do so in the past.

He was on the pace in the Karting sessions they did, and by his own admission (and other F1 drivers over the years) thats as good a benchmark as any.

I think if he get his neck sorted out an appearance on the grid is inevitiable I think. I'm sure he's gutted that he cant get out there right now. Maybe he'll do a Nigel Mansell at the end of the year.

I think the only blinkers around here in need of removal are your own! So how does schumacher not testing today and yesterday fit into your silly theory? Surely a man as competitive as him would at least try and bring down his testing times and give it one last go!

+1

God i miss schuey, his stirred more passion in the sport in 2wks than the current drivers hav done in 2yrs. Still gutted about his injury.

Even if he was off the pace in valencia (dont think he would hav bn) but you know he would hav done everything in his power to turn thing around by spa. The guy has never walk away from a challange in his life. I wouldnt be surprised if he is still working on getting himself back in the ferrari at some stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement