Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schumacher Calls off Come Back!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

AskYerMa wrote: »
    Theres more G's in me mots underware drawer...

Strap on a set Schumacher

Do you know ANYTHING about F1? Or the impact of G-forces?

Typical examples of g-force
    Formula One car, maximum under heavy braking 5 g.
    Space Shuttle, maximum during launch and reentry 3 g.
    Apollo 16 on reentry 7.19 g.

From here

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AskYerMa

De Hipster wrote: »
    Do you know ANYTHING about F1? Or the impact of G-forces?

From here

I think you'll find that I know a hell of alot more about cars than you do.....

Just because you caught 10mins of an episode of top gear in 2001 doesn't make you an expert.........................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Personal abuse always welcome...thanks!

Meanwhile back on topic:

From the BBC F1 website:

A strong neck is crucial to F1 drivers who face punishing G-forces, and Schumacher contacted Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo and team boss Stefano Domenicali on Monday evening to tell them he had lost his fitness battle.

I can't imagine anyone advising him to race after sustaining that level of injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Disappointed he cant race although not sorry to see the end of the hype.(Bernie will still be happy with the increased ticket sales :D)
    Any chance of him coming back at a later GP if Massa isn't back?
    No offence to Luca Badoer but i dont see him being used for all the GPs Massa will miss if he doesn't at least score a point in Valencia.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AskYerMa

De Hipster wrote: »
    Personal abuse always welcome...thanks!

Nothing personal at all ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I am dissapointed as well.
    I really wanted to see him up against kimi.
    if nothing else only to shut Kimi's critics up once and for all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Top Dog wrote: »
    As you have said yourself, he has not built up the required neck muscles. In various reports I have seen the word "yet" added into that sentance. Would you think that its still possible that we could see him back in an F1 car this season if he continues to work on improving the muscles, or is the whole idea most likely going to be abandoned?

I would think the whole idea is going to be abandoned. He recieved the injury 6-7 months ago and although he has only being trainning for F1 for a few weeks, i dont think he can do it.
    As much as i would like him to come back, i think the current drivers will provide an entertaining climax with brawn struggling with their car and Vettel and Webber catching up fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

vectra wrote: »
    I am dissapointed as well.
    I really wanted to see him up against kimi.
    if nothing else only to shut Kimi's critics up once and for all

Is this the same Kimi who was beaten by Massa in last years championship and who is trailing Massa in this years championship ?

Are we talking about the same Schumacher who convincing beat Massa every year they were teammates :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Here's a photo of him from the press-conference explaining why he couldn't drive in Valencia. You can tell his neck has a slight twinge to it:

Link

• Advertisement

thegoth wrote: »
    Is this the same Kimi who was beaten by Massa in last years championship and who is trailing Massa in this years championship ?

Yes
    Are we talking about the same Schumacher who got trashed by Alonos for two years running and had to reitre through embarresment

Yes indeed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Yes

Yes indeed :D

So going by that then Alonso is class, Schumacher is less good, Massa is less good again, and Kimi is pure crap... :pac:

Most people will know im not the biggest Schumacher fan here. but I think its silly to think that he would not compete because he cant win. He spent plenty of time "not winning" and lately too on motorbikes.

In that bike accident, he practically faceplanted at 130 and knocked himself out cold. Seemingly while testing karts his neck started to complain, usually they hit 3G max. The braking in F1 would cause issues to put it mildly.

Think about it.....you're 40, have a wife and kids and you've proved what you need to in racing. Why risk doing serious/permanent damage to your neck when you know it needs more time to recover?

I doubt he had major trouble getting on the pace, unless it was a result of his neck. Much, much lesser and older drivers have been able to do so in the past.

He was on the pace in the Karting sessions they did, and by his own admission (and other F1 drivers over the years) thats as good a benchmark as any.

I think if he get his neck sorted out an appearance on the grid is inevitiable I think. I'm sure he's gutted that he cant get out there right now. Maybe he'll do a Nigel Mansell at the end of the year.

True, and that's just measuring his neck's performance during a race distance. If it's borderline able to withstand that, it's not enough... what if Hamilton has one of his red mist moments and nails it full throttle into turn 1 and takes Schumacher's Ferrari out of it from the side? A shunt like that could really f**k it up.

Biro wrote: »
    So going by that then Alonso is class, Schumacher is less good, Massa is less good again, and Kimi is pure crap... :pac:

Nope
    Schumacher was good.
    Alonso proved Schu was gone beyond his "best before date"
    Schu couldnt accept defeat and that he was finished so retired before he got even more embarrassed and upset :D

You got the Massa Kimi in reverse
    Kimi is the one that proved himself by winning a wdc.
    Where is Massa's one?? :confused:

Nope
    Schumacher was good.
    Schu couldnt accept defeat and that he was finished so retired before he got even more embarrassed and upset :D

If Kimi is so great, why didn't he win one last year? Why is he trailing Massa this year?
    I used be a Kimi fan, but I'm able to face the fact that he has lost interest. Last race was the first time he has pushed himself since 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭enzo7

Nope
    Schumacher was good.

I hav to hand it to you no-one on this forum makes me laugh as much as you do:D. Seriously are you related, work for or married to kimi??? because if your not you really need to pull your head out of his a** for 5 seconds and see what the reat of the world see, formula ones biggest under achiever or maybe we hav all been wrong about him and he really isnt that talanted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

That's complete nonsense. I would regard Alonso as being the best of the current drivers, and the most talented rival Schumacher ever had, but to suggest that Schumacher was past his best is nothing short of laughable. In 2005, Renault were on a different planet, and Ferrari were way off the pace, with a complete dog of a car (had it not been for the infamous US Grand Prix, they would probably have finished in fourth place, behind Toyota in the Championship).

For the first half of the 2006 season, the Renault was by far a better car than the Ferrari. At the mid-point of 2006, Alonso was around 35 points ahead of Schumacher. When Ferrari closed the performance gap, Schumacher went on to win five of the last nine races of the season (Massa, himself no slouch, won two races that year). Just a few weeks before he announced his retirement, he had won three races in a row. It is abject idiocy to describe him, at that point, as 'finished'.

I'm a big Raikkonen fan, but I can accept that, if Schumacher was still around, Kimi probably would not have won the 2007 Championship - just as Schumacher probably wouldn't have won in 1994 or '95 if Senna was still alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

enzo7 wrote: »
    ... because if your not you really need to pull your head out of his a** for 5 seconds and see what the reat of the world see, formula ones biggest under achiever or maybe we hav all been wrong about him and he really isnt that talanted.

ha, ha, ha - same comment could be said of a few people around here! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

AS much as a kimi fan that i am,i cant help but think that this would have extinguished the flame for him and he would have called it a day.

Dont think he will be in f1 nxt yr anyway, if the rumours are true and alonso will be at ferrari nxt season where does that leave kimi?? Who would sign him seriously all jokes aside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Dont think he will be in f1 nxt yr anyway, if the rumours are true and alonso will be at ferrari nxt season where does that leave kimi?? Who would sign him seriously all jokes aside.

Renault. Toyota. Williams (if he was prepared to take a massive pay cut, which would be softened by the fact that Ferrari would be paying him not to drive for them). I hope he'll stick around, but I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

RayM wrote: »
    Renault. Toyota. Williams (if he was prepared to take a massive pay cut, which would be softened by the fact that Ferrari would be paying him not to drive for them). I hope he'll stick around, but I doubt it.
    I'd bet on him driving a Williams if he's booted from Ferrari. Rosberg looks like he's on his way out of there and the Williams car has certainly improved since the start of the year. Rosberg possibly to Renault if Piquet Jnr's replacement is only till seasons end.

Anyways, Sky are reporting that Badoer has the Ferrari seat till the end of this season. Delighted for the guy, especially after the way he was treated in 1999.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12433_5484348,00.html

RayM wrote: »

Williams is prob his best bet, he will hav to take a massive pay cut where ever he goes, cant imagine any team paying him anywhere near what his on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 GodSaveTheQueen

Massive bummer :( Was really looking forward to seeing him behind the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Williams is prob his best bet, he will hav to take a massive pay cut where ever he goes, cant imagine any team paying him anywhere near what his on now.
    $51 million in 2007, probably about the same this year.. Doubt anyone but Ferrari could afford anywhere near that...

Red Storm wrote: »
    $51 million in 2007, probably about the same this year.. Doubt anyone but Ferrari could afford anywhere near that...

F**king hell didnt realise he was on that much!!!! I thought he was on about half that,not a hope he will get anything near that 4sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭rugalo

being a mclaren fan i have say i am truly dissapointed not to see the shumaker back behind the wheel. on another note just read motazemalo is pushing to get a third car on the grid next year, go figure. on another other note i notice none of you have mentioned the current world champion, altough they didnt race together no one can honestly say that lewis is not a worthy champion even less so than alonso.isnt there talk of kimi going to the wrc, maybe that, with a third car could produce one of THE best driver line ups, ever! that im afraid if it comes to pass could be the nail in f1s coffin if none of the other teams can match the FIAt

Vectra, please dont change my what I said and then try and pass it off as a quote of mine. I did not say

"Are we talking about the same Schumacher who got trashed by Alonos for two years running and had to reitre through embarresment"

I suspect you said it in jest as I know you have been posting here for a long time and its not you style to cause hastle, but I dont want people to think I said that.

You CANNOT imply that because Alonso beat Schmuacher for two world titles, that Alonso is a better driver. Why ? Because you hadn't noticed, they were in totally different cars.

By your logic, because Kazuki Nakajima finished before Lewis Haminton at this years Turkish GP, Kazuki Nakajima is a better driver !!

I'm not the biggest Lewis fan as I dont think he has been much of a team player at McLaren, what with being the root cause of the Alonso trouble, and he didnt seem very behind the team this year right up until he won the last GP. Dont get he wrong, he didnt do anything bad, but it was more what it didnt say. I am comparing him to how Schmuacher was with Ferrari in 2005 when their car was a pig, and when Schmuacher was with ferrari from 96-99. Lewis all but said that if this car is no better next year, I am gone. I know he didnt say it, but he didnt say much to stop the rumors.

But as a driver, from what I've seen so far, he is on the same level as Schmuacher, Alonso, Senna, Clarke...

Toss a coin over who is the best current driver in F1. Alonso or Lewis. If I was a team owner, I would go for Alonso. Just. The deciding factor may well be that I wouldn't have the cameras pointed at that pussycat doll in my garage every 30 seconds !!

I'm not the biggest Lewis fan as I dont think he has been much of a team player at McLaren, what with being the root cause of the Alonso trouble, and he didnt seem very behind the team this year right up until he won the last GP. Dont get he wrong, he didnt do anything bad, but it was more what it didnt say. I am comparing him to how Schmuacher was with Ferrari in 2005 when their car was a pig, and when Schmuacher was with ferrari from 96-99. Lewis all but said that if this car is no better next year, I am gone. I know he didnt say it, but he didnt say much to stop the rumors.

But as a driver, from what I've seen so far, he is on the same level as Schmuacher, Alonso, Senna, Clarke...

Toss a coin over who is the best current driver in F1. Alonso or Lewis. If I was a team owner, I would go for Alonso. Just. The deciding factor may well be that I wouldn't have the cameras pointed at that pussycat doll in my garage every 30 seconds !!

ok he didnt do much to prevent the rumors, but (i know your gonna say we heard it all before) he's still young and learning his trade. he's not fully up to speed on dodging those tricky questions that get thrown his way like the shumaker can, but lets face it he is a seasoned veteran. can anyone remember if the shumaker could avoid them when he was chucked into the "pirhana club" at his f1 beginning?

I dont think its experience with the media. I think its about Loyality, commitment and just personality. Schmuacher treated Ferrari as his family. Never saying anything bad about them in public or never stating anything other than 100% commitment to the team. This is VERY rare in a drive.

Alonso and Lewis are different. They seem to, maybe not give the team a hard time, but certainly let them know that they are gone if the car is not up to speed for more than a year. Schmuacher was not like that.

• Advertisement

schumacher was young and learning the trade once aswell but schumacher was alot more streetwise than lewis. Im not lewis biggest fan either but no-one can deny his a massive talent ,do i think his in schumacher league no,i think his let himself down badly this yr with the whole lie gate scandel, never in a million yrs would schumacher hav dealt with it the way lewis did , schumacher was very much a team player i dont think ive ever heard schumacher said a single word against any team he has ever driven for. I rem steve matchett (chief mechanic in the benneton days) saying that after every win schumacher would take the whole race team out for dinner. I cant imagine lewis doing that. I do genuinely hope maclaren remain back inform because i think f1 really needs to hav him and also alonso fighting at the top because they are the best guys on the grid. I also think people will soften towards lewis again because his talent will shine through and prople will forget the negative stuff well until he does something stupid again doe i do think his learnt a hell of alot from liargate.

Vectra, please dont change my what I said and then try and pass it off as a quote of mine. I did not say

"Are we talking about the same Schumacher who got trashed by Alonos for two years running and had to reitre through embarresment"

I suspect you said it in jest as I know you have been posting here for a long time and its not you style to cause hastle, but I dont want people to think I said that.

You CANNOT imply that because Alonso beat Schmuacher for two world titles, that Alonso is a better driver. Why ? Because you hadn't noticed, they were in totally different cars.

By your logic, because Kazuki Nakajima finished before Lewis Haminton at this years Turkish GP, Kazuki Nakajima is a better driver !!

Thank god one of you is awake to smell the coffee :D

I never said Alonso was better than Schuie.
    I did suggest that Alonso wiped that silly grin off his face twice in a row.:cool:
    Well done.

I dont think its experience with the media. I think its about Loyality, commitment and just personality. Schmuacher treated Ferrari as his family. Never saying anything bad about them in public or never stating anything other than 100% commitment to the team. This is VERY rare in a drive.

Alonso and Lewis are different. They seem to, maybe not give the team a hard time, but certainly let them know that they are gone if the car is not up to speed for more than a year. Schmuacher was not like that.

ya def agree with you there, he is very loyal its very rare to find that in a sports person. They hav diff attitudes too doe schumacher would see it as a challange to make the car a winner where as lewis/alonso think it the teams job to produce a winning car for them. That why schumacher achieved so much in f1 i guess.

ya def agree with you there, he is very loyal its very rare to find that in a sports person. They hav diff attitudes too doe schumacher would see it as a challange to make the car a winner where as lewis/alonso think it the teams job to produce a winning car for them. That why schumacher achieved so much in f1 i guess.

ye i agree to a certain extent but you have to admit when ferrari didnt have a winning car back in the mid ninties shumacher could only do so much with the car, like lewis this year there is only so much he can do with a car thats so far off the pace, i mean he pulled off some great drives this year with a really lack luster car. i think its about a 70/30 split on the side of the car with drivers of their talent so in essence it is the teams job to give a good basis, and ferrari done that for shumacher for his titles, like mclaren and renault did for their titles.

He finnished 3rd in 96 ,2nd in 97 and 2nd in 98. Not to shabby most drivers dream of ending the season like that. And with a bit of luck he could hav won the tilte in 97/98. No one disputes lewis is a fantastic talent but for the first half of the year he had a terrible attitude and def effected the team even if you take liargate out of it which alone was a massive blow to him. Instead of whinging to the press about his crap car, he should hav aired his views privately to the team and then drew a line under it and simply said if we all work together im 100% confident we can get this car winning ect. The other thing he should hav publicly commited himself 100% to the team, think about it would you give 100% to a guy who isnt willing to give 100% to the team ,prob not.

Having talent isnt enough kimi is a perfect example of that look at last season he let massa a guy with a fraction of his talent wipe the floor of him simply because massa had far better attitude than him.Talent will win you 1 championship having the right attitude aswell will win you more. I think this yr could be the making of him because he now know how tough it is at the back he will hav lernt from all the mistakes his made.

I do agree with you in that it is 70/30 when the car hits the track but i do think the driver has an imput on the 70% back in the factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

It's a pity indeed I think the sport needed it to be honest. Anyway I suppose he'll continue working as the Stig on Top Gear for a while longer so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

He's not the Stig

BaZmO* wrote: »
    He's not the Stig

+1

He should also stay off the Bikes until he knows how to ride them properly Fall off them properly :D

Was he not the stig for that one episode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭dumbblonde122

No he was the Stig in every episode.

Absolutely gutted Schumacher is not racing. F1 needed the coverage. Would have been an exciting season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭stevensi

I thought he was for every episode as well. It all adds to the mystery....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yes
    No he was the Stig in every episode.
    No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Technically, he was the stig. Because the sig, by definition, puts on the white suit and lid and drives around the top gear track. The stig is many different people. Thats where it ends however, he drove his own fxx. He did not drive any other car, even if he wanted to he cant per contract.

Good article here http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/f1mole/2009/08/-had-his-injured-neck.html#more about Schumacher's disapointment on not being physically able to return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Having talent isnt enough kimi is a perfect example of that look at last season he let massa a guy with a fraction of his talent wipe the floor of him simply because massa had far better attitude than him.Talent will win you 1 championship having the right attitude aswell will win you more. I think this yr could be the making of him because he now know how tough it is at the back he will hav lernt from all the mistakes his made.

I do agree with you in that it is 70/30 when the car hits the track but i do think the driver has an imput on the 70% back in the factory.

Wouldn't agree that Massa has a fraction of Kimi's tallent, he is a great driver and bet Schumacher a couple of times when he was his teammate, I think Kimi is a better driver but Massa is not far behind him and works with the team (to be fair to Kimi he did more pre season testing and simulator work this year then ever before)

Kimi left McLaren frustrated feeling there poor reliability was costing him world championships, went to Ferrari thinking it would be easy (Sure Schumacher is winning because he has the best car right :rolleyes:) now he knows that it is not just the car but takes hard work from the driver, that Schumacher was willing to give.

I would say today its more like 80-90% car 20 - 10% driver depending on the driver.

+1

He should also stay off the Bikes until he knows how to ride them properly Fall off them properly :D

If you dont fall off a few times you wont learn how to ride them properly fall off properly and your not doing it right. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Technically, he was the stig. Because the sig, by definition, puts on the white suit and lid and drives around the top gear track. The stig is many different people. Thats where it ends however, he drove his own fxx. He did not drive any other car, even if he wanted to he cant per contract.

Good article here http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/f1mole/2009/08/-had-his-injured-neck.html#more about Schumacher's disapointment on not being physically able to return.

Thank you for clearing that up. I really wasn't sure who to believe, but that makes perfect sence. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

MOTOR racing legend Alain Prost believes Michael Schumacher was RIGHT to call off his return to Formula One.
    Frenchman Prost, who won four world titles between 1985 and 1993, said he understood Schuey's desire to jump back into a Ferrari cockpit.

But he also appreciated the former champ's concern over the strength of his injured neck - and said he needed more time to prepare for a comeback.

But Prost also hinted the German's decision may also have been influenced by doubts over his capabilities.

He said: "It remains to be seen if Schumacher stopped solely because of the health problem, or because when he resumed driving he realised the task was enormous.

"He has not started in F1 for three years and only had three weeks to prepare.

"The body changes very quickly when you stop racing. A driver does not react the same way and the vision is not as sharp.

"When I returned in 1993 after eight months out it was very difficult to find the best level. Schumacher may need more time.

I suppose Alain Prost could just be stupid, and talking bull? :D

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Wouldn't agree that Massa has a fraction of Kimi's tallent, he is a great driver and bet Schumacher a couple of times when he was his teammate, I think Kimi is a better driver but Massa is not far behind him and works with the team (to be fair to Kimi he did more pre season testing and simulator work this year then ever before)

Kimi left McLaren frustrated feeling there poor reliability was costing him world championships, went to Ferrari thinking it would be easy (Sure Schumacher is winning because he has the best car right :rolleyes:) now he knows that it is not just the car but takes hard work from the driver, that Schumacher was willing to give.

I would say today its more like 80-90% car 20 - 10% driver depending on the driver.

If you dont fall off a few times you wont learn how to ride them properly fall off properly and your not doing it right. :)

ya maybe massa is closer to kimi in raw talent than i give him credit, i think massa is brilliant he has improved so much is the last 18mths hopefully he will be back as gud as ever.

Dont really watch top gear that much but i thought there was a couple of guys who did stig and in that episode schumacher was on he was stig just for that 1 time doe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Nooooooooooooo :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I had heard this off a friend who saw it on Sky news. I was hoping sky news where just full of **** as usual but I guess they where telling the truth.

Very disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

A cynic would suggest that Ferrari never expected Schumacher's neck to be up to a full race but were hoping to get a day's testing out of the best technical driver of his generation since Kimi is notoriously useless at that sort of thing. Once they got their out of season testing denied, the writing was on the wall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement