Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camac River

Options
  • 11-08-2009 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just said i'd post a picture of a lovely brown trout that i saw in the Camac last night in Inchicore (I have added an arrow to point him out). I'm not the best at judging sizes but to my eye he seemed a decent enough fish. I live close to the Camac and have noticed good numbers of trout in there of big sizes. There are also a lot of young fish as well.

Even though there is a lot of crap in the river...such as the bottle and paint tin the water itself must be of good quality to hold these.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

looks like 2 nagins long :) nice..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

That's a good trout. Hard to say due to lens-zoom perspective limitations, but at a guess about a pound weight.

Well done on GETTING the photo. They don't just let you stroll up and ask them to smile for the photo!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Trout love their 'features' to hind behind don't they? :)

It's great when you get to sneak up on one like that, it's fascinating to just watch how they behave for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

It's like one of those 'magic eye' :eek: photos - once you've spotted him once, you cant miss it !

I think the Camac is pretty clean - there's been a lot of work on improvement & flood control recently & that seems to have helped....probably picks up the odd can when it passes St Pats lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

Is there a decent head of trout in there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

By all acounts there is a great head of fish in the camac. It was restocked last year with fish up to two pounds. I have seen some cracking fish up near the clondalkin stretch. Very hard to fly fish though. i would advise catch and release as one fellow angle discribed the taste as been similar to sucking on a diesel rag, probably from the road drains going into the river. Some of the brownies released last year have even managed to find their way in to the corkagh fishery

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stevensi

I have seen groups of 5 or 6 together that size around my place. I had a look this evening and the fish was still there by the bottle (must be an alcho) that is about 4 days in a row. He rises every now and then to feed and seems oblivious to me. There is also a large number of young fish in there. I had noticed a Heron in there over the last 18 months and always thought what will it get in there as i thought the water was polluted but obviously not!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

It's fantastic to see the improvement on the Camac. I worked in Kilmainham for years and the Camac ran behind us. In the late '70s / early '80s you could tell what paper was being made by Clondalkin Paper Mills by the colour of the water.:mad:

Towards the end of the '80s it started to clear up and we used to feed the ducks which appeared behind our premises. I hope anyone that does manage to fish it does it on a catch and release basis although that can be difficult if using worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

You get the odd rainbow in there too from the lakes in Corkagh, saw lads fishing in the lake last year and releasing what they caught into the river so should be a few in there somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 baziragi

It's fantastic to see the improvement on the Camac. I worked in Kilmainham for years and the Camac ran behind us. In the late '70s / early '80s you could tell what paper was being made by Clondalkin Paper Mills by the colour of the water.:mad:

Towards the end of the '80s it started to clear up and we used to feed the ducks which appeared behind our premises. I hope anyone that does mangae to fish it does it on a catch and release basis although that can be difficult if using worms.
    This still happens occasionally! The water turns almost the colour of a blue or green ink its really artificial looking. I have seen these really small trout lots of times but i have yet to see larger ones. The water is so shallow there most of the time at Myra close/ Turvey ave. Then when it rains it flashes up in a flood some times four or five feet. This stretch of river is a lovely part of inchicore which is not used well enough.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

baziragi wrote: »
    This still happens occasionally! The water turns almost the colour of a blue or green ink its really artificial looking.

Are you serious? We moved out of Kilmainham quite a few years ago so I haven't seen it up close since. I didn't think there was still any industry emptying into the river. What makes it change colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stevensi

I have to say I've lived there for a couple of years now and haven't noticed that. It does sometimes flow very heavily after a large rain shower but I've never seen it change colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I have noticed it a grey-blue colour but this is after the rain and is from the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 baziragi

Yeah, i know it seems strange in these modern times but it happens occasionally. I ve no idea what from but its a different colour to the flood water. I'd be very interested to know what its from

Advertisement