Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bypass admin password during repair winxp

• 11-08-2009 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hi boards!

Helping a guy out with his sons laptop running winxp. Possibly a Lidl or Aldi purchase. First I counldn't get past \windows\system32\config error. Using my own winxp home ed dsk I now got to the stage where it attempts to boot with the WinXP logo\prompt appearing for a few second before the screen goes blank. In safe mode I see that it stops at ....windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys but it's probably the next file that it wont load. I can no longer get to the chkdsk option using the repair path as it now asks for Admin Password: The guys son gave me several passwords, so obviously he's forgotten and it only gives me 3 attempts before I have to go through the process again.
    I think the original problem was caused by a USB device because when I look at the bios I see :USB CDROM that I cannot remove or move up or down the first order of reboot choice.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Remove laptop hard drive, slave to another machine. Backup users data/documents etc. Format slaved laptop hard drive as NTFS, reinsert into laptop, install XP as normal, restore information once install complete.

Save a lot of time and effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

majiktripp wrote: »
    Remove laptop hard drive, slave to another machine. Backup users data/documents etc. Format slaved laptop hard drive as NTFS, reinsert into laptop, install XP as normal, restore information once install complete.

Best course of action here. Incidentally did you leave the admin passwrod blank. You would be surprised how often this is the case. Any machine I setup I leave it blank and just set up the users.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

majiktripp wrote: »

I'd hoped that was the last resort. HD not easily accessible. If there was some way of getting back into the repair mode so that it would not ask for a password (P.S>tried 'BLANK' ;)) I could try and repair the missing file. Then I could hold down 'Ctrl & Alt' while pressing DEL twice to get around the password problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Anyway you could use a boot cd to re write the SAM file so you could change the admin password to whatever you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

CD boot the laptop using livecd or one of those disks to access HD. Burn all docs to cd/dvd. Reinstall O/S. Two hours work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from laptops.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

ERD Commander 2005 -
    <snip - no links to illegal downloads - this product is no longer available for sale CM.>

Should do the job :)

Advertisement