Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

connecting xbox to stereo with red/ white stereo cables

• 11-08-2009 10:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, im sure this has been asked before, but i couldn't find a thread specifically for what i am looking for.

Basically, my xbox 360 is hooked up to my tv with the HDMI cable. I want to connect the xbox to my stereo. I used to do it with my ps2 with these leads going into the back on the stereo
    http://z.about.com/d/hometheater/1/0/E/9/stereoaudiocablesnew.JPG

Can it be done? I dont even see any ports for sound on the xbox :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

If you don't want to butcher your existing component cable...

You need to get the adaptor in this kit to use hdmi with sound from your stereo because the connector that comes with the xbox covers the hdmi port at the back.

I wanted to connect my xbox like this as well but I thought that kit was way overpriced so I ended up using the vga cable instead. Another trick by MS to get more € out of people imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

you don't need any adaptor at all.

the component cable you got with your xbox will do. because of the shape of the connector on this you won't be able to connect it and the hdmi at the same time (thanks microsoft). Luckily there's an easy solution - get a screwdriver and bust open the chunky connection.

Dont worry, the bit that's in the way is actually empty (pretty cynical move by microsoft).

I have my xbox coming out on hdmi to a monitor and the sound going to speakers using this setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

cheers fellers... jtsuited i'm not sure exactly what ya mean, just pry the connection open to get it to hang out or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

I've just clarified my post then

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

If you stereo is compatible I'd try the optical cable route ( TOSlink). Sound is much better. I have mine hooked up to my 1000watt 5.1 amp.... Happy days.
    Although scares the sh1te out of me when playing Dead Space or the like.

cableswitch5ia.jpg

XBOX%20360%20OPTICAL%20CABLE.jpg

_TOSLINK.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

If its only stereo you're after, you could just plug the headphone jack from your tv to your stereo.

my stereo inst optical compatible, i wish.... My Tv was sorta cheep and doesnt have a headphone socket in it :(

i think my best option i suppose, is to bust the component cable with a screwdriver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

bust the connector open so you can fit the hdmi cable AND the component cable into the xbox. Then connect the red and white phono leads from the end of the component cable to your stereo.

jtsuited wrote: »
    bust the connector open so you can fit the hdmi cable AND the component cable into the xbox. Then connect the red and white phono leads from the end of the component cable to your stereo.

cheers dude, i will try this at home later. At first i thought you ment bust open the back of the xbox :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 tommylaws

do the unoffical way ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement