Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What portable external Hard Drive?

• 11-08-2009 10:28am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want an external hard drive, must be as small as possible and usb powered.

Thinking of the Western Digital Passport Essential, is this a good choice? Are they quick? Any alternatives worth considering?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

Zascar wrote: »
    I want an external hard drive, must be as small as possible and usb powered.

Thinking of the Western Digital Passport Essential, is this a good choice? Are they quick? Any alternatives worth considering?
    Thanks

Here is a concise breakdown of this years 2.5" Mobile HDD's:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-2.5-mobile-hard-drive-charts/benchmarks,53.html

If you cant be arsed reading through it, I would generally recommend seagate and / or western digital...remember though, you get what you pay for hardware wise so beware of the so called "bargains", especially when buying HDD's! ;)

Hope that helps,
    Acman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'd definitely recommend the WD passports... Nice little drives, but then again they're not amazingly quick (which is to be expected of a USB powered drive of that size tbh)

My 2 cents would be to get a my book 2 essential if you want a nippy drive, or a passport if you want a reliable, more portable drive without the inconvenience of plugging it into the power whenever you want to use it...

/edit
    Just read the OP properly... The passport is your man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

I have two WD MyBook Essential 500gb hard drives, both perfect for me never had any issues with them. Very quick transfer and read speeds.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah I already have a MyBook but I want an ultra-portable one that does not need power but just runs off usb. Just something I can put in my pocket to hold music and personal files etc etc. I think the passport is the best bet at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Passports are supposed to be portable, i.e. able to carry round - but for what it's worth they're not very robust IMO.
    Had one - yea it's handy not having to lug a power supply, and it's light, and small, but the casing was pretty flimsy I thought and didn't last too long when it was being carried here and there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

WD Passport have one a good while now and no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Freecom Toughdrives are also very good

Advertisement