Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkelly

Options
  • 11-08-2009 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Just a question i'm hoping someone might be able to help me with on the beautiful song Kilkelly written by Peter Jones. I've been having a look around on the internet and the general consensus is that Peter Jones wrote the song based on letters he found that had been sent to his great grandfather, however most websites seem to indicate that he found these letters in Ireland, would they not have been in America unless they were brought back home at some stage. Now i dont want to appear pedantic but if i sing a song i like to know the exact origins so that if anyone asks me where the song is from i can give an informed answer. Can anyone out there give a clearer view on the songs origin. Again i dont wish to take away from what is an incredible song by casting doubt over it but i'd like to know if there is a straight forward answer to my contrary little query.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

You could try asking on the Mudcat forums. If you don't find your answer there, you never will. :)

Love the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭grainuaile

I'm from Kilkelly, always thought Peter Jones HAD found the letters in America. You're right, doesn't make sense if he found them here :) Unless, of course, the son eventually did come home, and brought them with him ... hmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Here's some background to the song including transcripts of the letter original letters supplied by Peter Jones.
    http://towns.mayo-ireland.ie/WebX?14@@.ee8809f

great reading

Advertisement