Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What secure storage category are you in?

Options
  • 11-08-2009 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

This is an online poll to ascertain how many people fall into the various catagories for firearm storage.

|Type and number of firearms| Secure accommodation standard
    1 |One non-restricted shot-gun.| The shot-gun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use. The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock.
    2 |One restricted firearm or three or fewer non-restricted firearms. |Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.
    3 |Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms. | Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.
    4 |Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place. | In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Siochana. The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.

Which Firearm (secure accomodation) catagory do you fall into: 63 votes

1. One non restricted shot-gun
    0% 0 votes
    2. One restricted firearm or 3 or fewer non-restriced firearms.
    11% 7 votes
    3. Two restricted firearms, or more than 3 non-restricted firearms.
    58% 37 votes
    4. Three or more restricted firearms or 6 or six firearms, of any type, kept in the same place
    30% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Just changed the list to a table there psomers, it's a little easier to read that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Whats the story with one restricted firearm plus two non restricted ones? Is that a category 2??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭psomers

Thanks Sparks, I saw it jump into a table and thought what a brilliant job I did:( (only for a split secound) as I know you must of done it. The purpose of the query is that I am looking at a role in a Remote Alarm Monitoring organisation, where I believe they could market to people who own firearms, but I want to go back to them with figures / statistics. Secondly I want to know where are the best locations to target firearm owners. I personally have a shotgun but that is only for rodents therefore I do not subscribe to any firearm publications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

No6 wrote: »
    Whats the story with one restricted firearm plus two non restricted ones? Is that a category 2??

Yeah No6. It states "3 or fewer non-restricted" I think:confused:

One restricted firearm and two shotguns would fall into catagory 2, which means that you would have to have each firearm stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

psomers wrote: »
    The purpose of the query is that I am looking at a role in a Remote Alarm Monitoring organisation, where I believe they could market to people who own firearms, but I want to go back to them with figures / statistics. Secondly I want to know where are the best locations to target firearm owners.
    Yeah, you'll find that's against the boards.ie site rules. We're not a free market research tool, thanks.
    I'm leaving the poll up because it might be useful for ourselves to know, but so as you know, that kind of motive isn't well received. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

pajero2005 wrote: »
    Yeah No6. It states "3 or fewer non-restricted" I think:confused:

Thats what I thought too but theres no "and" its one restricted "or" up to three non restricted?? What if you have one restricted "and" not "or" two unrestricted....see what i mean!!:confused:

Thats what I thought too but theres no "and" its one restricted "or" up to three non restricted?? What if you have one restricted "and" not "or" two unrestricted....see what i mean!!:confused:
    Suggest you read what Sparks put into the first item on the Shooting page, he details exactly the catagories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

But you just need to go up to the next level and see do you match that. In the case of one restricted and two non-restricted, clearly you don't fit into category three.

Might be worth while for anyone needing to get monitored alarms fitted to get together with people in the same boat and approach the company as a group. I'm sure ye could haggle a good discount out of them. It should make the cost less painful in the current econ.....blah blah blah!!!

Just an idea, thats all!:)

How about putting up a poll here for those needing one, get together via pm or e-mail. Nominate one person to get quotes or do it as a group and Robert's your mother's brother.

• Advertisement

Might be worth while for anyone needing to get monitored alarms fitted to get together with people in the same boat and approach the company as a group. I'm sure ye could haggle a good discount out of them. It should make the cost less painful in the current econ.....blah blah blah!!!

Just an idea, thats all!:)

How about putting up a poll here for those needing one, get together via pm or e-mail. Nominate one person to get quotes or do it as a group and Robert's your mother's brother.
    That is exactly what I was thinking but alas I now have an infraction at boards.ie because I breached the Forum Charter by accident. I could take this to a company and haggle for a 'boards shooting group' package but I reckon I would be in breach of the boards regulation so lets leave it as that.

Thanks Anyway

That is exactly what I was thinking but alas I now have an infraction at boards.ie because I breached the Forum Charter by accident. I could take this to a company and haggle for a 'boards shooting group' package but I reckon I would be in breach of the boards regulation so lets leave it as that.

Thanks Anyway

To be fair, people would be better getting as many prices from different companies as possible and playing one off the other to bring prices down. Cash is king these days.

Recent trip to Canada - I thought you would like these...

Nice, but they don't really relate to firearms storage or alarms!!

Try the hunting photo's thread. They'll fit right in there:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Secondly I want to know where are the best locations to target firearm owners.

And that's why I will not be participating.

Trojan911 wrote: »
    And that's why I will not be participating.

Thats understandable Trojan911, but I think there is a way for people on here (with no connection with alarm companies) to save a few quid by teaming up. Confidential info such as address etc would only have to be disclosed to the alarm company, as is the way in any case.

Thats understandable Trojan911, but I think there is a way for people on here (with no connection with alarm companies) to save a few quid by teaming up. Confidential info such as address etc would only have to be disclosed to the alarm company, as is the way in any case.

And I wish them the best in their savings. Just be careful who you deal with.

Holly crap, I did not mean to start a debate nor have people thinking that this is a business opportunity chaser. Simply, I am a gun owner and allot of people in my local did not know how much they would have to pay per gun or how to separate restricted to non restricted. I came across this site under advisement from DoJ on the bases that you chaps know more about what is going on. I have no intention of looking for names / numbers etc etc, it was a simple thought process since as I was looking at a role with an alarm company, and yes IF I could secure more favorable rates for like minded firearm holders who do not want to pay incredible prices for security there is power in numbers. If I knew 100 people now who had to have GSM remote monitoring, I would if represented the group in identifying who can offer solutions at competitive prices so that we could collectively save money. And yes IF they had to market themselves is it not better to ask what publication they should advertise in as opposed to advertising in a local rag which they may never read.

The entire new firearm legislation is welcome to tighten who has firearms, but it is going to create allot of problems as well. Looking at statistics 65% of rural farmers neither have the internet nor know how to turn on a PC (this is not slating anybody off but it is a fact). Three local farmers were advised off the Garda to go online to find out about the new rates and forms as the Garda did not know what the story was. One farmer in question came down to the house to look up the form’s and was baffled with the form, he normally only pays €8 per gun. He has two shotguns and three riffles. His house is so remote that even if he had an alarm system no one would hear it, if he had remote monitoring, it takes at least 2 hour’s + for a Garda to turn up at his house (previous experience with an accident outside the house), therefore if he was robbed so too would the local bank, atm, grocer and probably me. The only difference is I have remote monitoring installed so if a mouse leaked outside the front door I can watch him online.

If my questions and reasons are not acceptable to you that’s your business, I was purely curious. Next time I try and do a good thing I know where not to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Actually, I think the bigger shooting associations could look at doing some sort of deal with a security/alarm company for their members. Some sort of 10% off deal if you are a member type thing.

Probably never happen, but if all the shooting assocs teamed up together to get the best deal, there could be some serious discounts available.

And OP, I wish you the best as well.

Ps. Is a "Holly crap" painful? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

if all the shooting assocs teamed up together

Ah bless........

Such innocence in one so youg.

B'Man

• Advertisement

Actually, I think the bigger shooting associations could look at doing some sort of deal with a security/alarm company for their members. Some sort of 10% off deal if you are a member type thing.

Probably never happen, but if all the shooting assocs teamed up together to get the best deal, there could be some serious discounts available.

On the back of my NARGC card there is a 12.5% discount with Eircom phone watch.

Bananaman wrote: »
    Ah bless........

B'Man
    Youg ?

He's a worm?

:D

Bananaman wrote: »
    Ah bless........

B'Man

That's why it was preceded with 'probably never happen'.

I suppose the 'probably' should have been a 'definitely';)

rrpc wrote: »
    Youg ?

He's a worm?

:D

???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

???????

An internet worm, not for fishing (phishing?). Confusing aint it!?

It's a geek joke. Like 127.0.0.1 on a welcome mat. It's only funny to I.T. people and maybe non I.T. people with Aspergers! :D

OK, I've been enlightened. Can't say it's the most useful piece of info I learned today though.

By the way there have been efforts by some associations to get a group price for alarm systems for their members.

It's had some success the last I heard but there are difficulties in getting a deal nationwide and for a set baseline. In other words, if you already have an alarm, or part alarm it's very hard to get an upgrade cost without knowing what exact equipment is installed and how old it is.

It's easier for a green field so to speak where there's no equipment installed, but yet again there are difficulties depending on the size of house, number of windows/doors etc.

It's not been given up on, just taking a bit more time than first envisaged.

That more useful?

rrpc wrote: »
    By the way there have been efforts by some associations to get a group price for alarm systems for their members.

It's had some success the last I heard but there are difficulties in getting a deal nationwide and for a set baseline. In other words, if you already have an alarm, or part alarm it's very hard to get an upgrade cost without knowing what exact equipment is installed and how old it is.

It's easier for a green field so to speak where there's no equipment installed, but yet again there are difficulties depending on the size of house, number of windows/doors etc.

It's not been given up on, just taking a bit more time than first envisaged.

That more useful?

Thanks for that, I actually know 3 companies who do 'bespoke' upgrade systems, but they would not be interested unless there were sufficient numbers to justify. I agree 'Green Field' sites are better, but for the purpose of this POLL it is just for us in general to get an idea of how many on boards.ie fall into the different catagories. We know that the majority of Framers will not be on line as they are too busy harvesting, so the only ones that responded today would typically be in office jobs....

By the way, whats your opinion on smart arses taking the POLL out of context?? Does it have something to do with spyware / trojan's or the fact that they respond to everybody's boards and add nothing positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Whats the story with one restricted And three unrestricted. As always I seem to fall between two stools (no smart ar%e remarks please). However I do have a gun safe and ammo safe in a walk in cupboard with a five lever mortice lock and monitored alarm so should be OK. The crazy thing about the alarm is I'm 45 minutes from a full-time Garda station.

Advertisement