Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What secure storage category are you in?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Rovi wrote: »
    The SSAI are advising that people hold off on applications until the 2009 Restricted List and Commissioner's Guidelines are published:
    http://www.ssai.ie/
    And that's inconsistent with what? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

rrpc wrote: »
    As in the Gardai already know what the restricted SI is going to look like a lot sooner than you or I.
    Yup.

Of course, if they acted on that knowledge, they'd be breaking the law, specifically the regulations laid down in SI 295/2009, which do not say "lads, you know what's coming up, work off that basis". We're not that far gone as a banana republic just yet. You'd hope.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

sfakiaman wrote: »
    The crazy thing about the alarm is I'm 45 minutes from a full-time Garda station.

Welcome to the emerld isle:(

Silencers-- will they effect your security requirements??

Has anyone stopped to think about the legal definition of silencers They are a firearm!!! and silencers for center-fire are clearly denoted as restricted!!!

So if you own a silencer for a centerfire rifle or even a shot-gun then you have a restricted firearm, never mind the gun that its fitted to!!

If the security levels are calculated by taking these items into consideration then a lot of people here will be jumping at least one level if not two..

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

See your post immediately before. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Has anyone stopped to think about the legal definition of silencers They are a firearm!!! and silencers for center-fire are clearly denoted as restricted!!!

So if you own a silencer for a centerfire rifle or even a shot-gun then you have a restricted firearm, never mind the gun that its fitted to!!
    Silencers have always been defined as a firearm in their own right and they continue to be dfined that way, so they certainly need to be noted and authorised in a firearms cert application.

However, the anomaly that most centre-fire rifles are not restricted, but silencers for them are restricted has been pointed out by the FCP to the DoJ on several occasions since the publication of the restricted SI of 2008.
    Silencers for .22 rimfire rifles are not restricted.

Ivan, we pretty much did this to death in earlier threads.

fat-tony wrote: »
    Silencers have always been defined as a firearm in their own right and they continue to be dfined that way, so they certainly need to be noted and authorised in a firearms cert application.

However, the anomaly that most centre-fire rifles are not restricted, but silencers for them are restricted has been pointed out by the FCP to the DoJ on several occasions since the publication of the restricted SI of 2008.
    Silencers for .22 rimfire rifles are not restricted.
    Well thats not really answering my question!

There needs to be something done fast to clear this issue up once and for all..

This security storage category issue has not been thought out properly and the same can be said for the current restricted list, to put it simply the legislation fails to gel together..

Four air rifles or Two Crossbow requires more security than Three number .308's, ffs dont make me laugh.

PS Don't forget that if you have a silencer on your air-rifle then you are in possession of a restricted firearm.. ffs really-have people here forgotten what sort of muppetry we have to deal with..

This new restricted list is probably growing at a rate of knots!! Its not beyond belief that they might include tactical style (compact scope) scopes and they might even have designs on reticule restrictions.

The moderator thing has been done to death already and will be addressed in the new Restricted List ivan. Please go read the other threads?

Sparks wrote: »
    Ivan, we pretty much did this to death in earlier threads.
    Yes maybe so but now it has further reaching implications!!

So can you show me where the S.I. is that excludes this firearms for the purposes of calculating your secure storage Cat.

I think you said that the onus is on the applicant to know if items, for which s/he is applying for are Restricted....

Don't bury your head in the sand on this issue...

Why don't you try and influence you spy in the doj, i sure he'd listen to the voice of reason:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No Ivan, I mean we've done this aspect (restricted/unrestricted + moderator status + storage requirements) to death in the last few days since the SIs were released. Seriously man. Go read.

Sparks wrote: »
    No Ivan, I mean we've done this aspect (restricted/unrestricted + moderator status + storage requirements) to death in the last few days since the SIs were released. Seriously man. Go read.
    Look here! my posts are relevant to this thread!! If you have information relating to this immediate issue then please post a link as I'm sorry,i never spotted it but i'm prob not the only one that reader that missed this in the forum. TBH its been busy around here..

You know i don't read every thread on this form because the in house political bitching is really a drag.

Its seems that in Ireland, if you don't like political oppression on a twice yearly basis then don't try and purchases a firearm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭psomers

Sorry Ivan, I logged on a minute ago and I did not like seeing the bitching, thats all

psomers wrote: »
    Sorry Ivan, I logged on a minute ago and I did not like seeing the bitching, thats all

Well ok then all is forgiven but you better ignore the PM i sent you, even better don't even read it as you'll only be up set!:rolleyes:

TBH its been busy around here
    And it won't get easier if you don't read the other threads. It'll just get busier because people keep asking the same questions. Over and over...

Anyway, try here and here to start with.

Well ok then all is forgiven but you better ignore the PM i sent you, even better don't even read it as you'll only be up set!:rolleyes:

What private message:)

Oh, and as far as I can tell, when they de-restrict fullbore moderators, you won't have storage issues if you have the mod on an authorisation letter from the Garda Superintendent (because stuff on authorisations does not count when figuring out what storage requirements you have).

Right now though, yeah, things are interesting. Read the above links to see what I mean.

This POLL is now finished

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RichieRich

hey guys, what is a restricted firearm?

i have a shotgun, a magnum and am about to get a .243
    i have a 5 gun 'buffalo river' safe bolted to a wall, i have an alarm on my house which is non monitored, am i covered or will i have to sell my 'rabbit buster' (magnum)?? :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

RichieRich wrote: »
    hey guys, what is a restricted firearm?

i have a shotgun, a magnum and am about to get a .243
    i have a 5 gun 'buffalo river' safe bolted to a wall, i have an alarm on my house which is non monitored, am i covered or will i have to sell my 'rabbit buster' (magnum)?? :confused::confused:
    `
    your covered..rest easy:D

• Advertisement

surprisingly people are still voting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

psomers wrote: »
    surprisingly people are still voting
    Unless you set an expiry date, they can ;)

Advertisement