Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsoft or BB gun for target practice

Options
  • 11-08-2009 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I haven't got any guns or used them before but I've always been interested.

I wouldn't mind getting a gun just for shooting bottles or cans as target practice. Not sure what I should be looking at getting though. I'm thinking a long shotgun or something would be best for this rather than pistol.

I'm just unsure as to wheter I should get a BB or an airsoft gun.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Airsoft is easier to get as you don't need a license. But with new legislation having a nice private place to shoot is a must, you can receive quite serious fines for brandishing one in public.

Pistols are great fun and easy to store.
    It all depends on what you want, even if you don't know what you want right now.

A Gas Blow Back pistol emulates the function of a real pistol by using some of the gas that propels the plastic BB to work the slide, giving a nice realistic snap, and loading the next BB for you. You will need a bottle of gas to use these guns.

I'm a fan of the M1911 so this would be my choice of Eirsofts pistols.
    There are 2 types of gas you can use, 134 (Here)
    Or Green (Here)
    134 is less powerful but your pistol will last longer.
    Green is the more powerful. Keep in mind every gun has a life span, Green will reduce this slightly but give better performance. Some pistols are not to be used with green, the listing will usually say this.

For an Airsoft shotgun, the manufacturer Tokyo Marui is king. Any shotty with TM written on it is great quality.
    If I were to buy a TM shotty, this would be my choice.
    The BBs are held in a shotgun shell shaped magazine, for each pump it loads 3 into the gun and charges the spring that will propel them. Dont be fooled by the fact that it is a shotty, these things are laser accurate all 3 will keep together until they hit the target.

All you need to keep this running is spare shells (Here)and elbow grease.

For something with a but more speed, a fully automatic rifle is in order.
    My own rifle is this exact one. you will be hard pushed to find someone with a word against this maker and model of gun.

This is powered by a battery and a motor, so fully automatic fire is possible (and recommended ;)) To keep this running you will need a charger. A cheap one is supplied. I would recommend buying a better charger and battery if you intend of skirmishing.

For all of these, good quality BBs are a must, good thing they are pretty cheap. I'm a fan of Excels .23 gramme BBs (Here).

Really it's about looks, if you can find a gun you like the look of, you are pretty much guaranteed to find a good quality airsoft version.

Hope that not too much or too little info.
    Most importantly have fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Hi,
    So airsoft guns can shoot 6mm bearings then.

If I was to get that 134 gas how long would it last and how do you connect it to the gun or fill the gun?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Airsoft devices cannot fire 6mm bearing. The term BB refers to a calibre rather than ball bearing.
    Ball bearings, they being of metal composition, cannot be fired fro
    an airsoft rifle or pistol for a multitude of reasons. Plastic 6mm rounds of varying weights may only be used. They must also be a high polish type rather than the cheap ones often found at market stalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The 40 euro shotguns are as good as the TM's (don't wreck me head that they aren't) and are a fifth of the price, Eirsoft have them in the shop, not up on the website afaik, could be though.

Use green gas, you may as well for pistols, most of them handle it just fine.

For shooting things for fun, those shotguns are great, or, get an aep.
    An AEP is an auto electric pistol, small, reliable, doesnt need gas and are great fun round the house, you can even use one at a game if you end up getting a full aeg. There are glocks, berretas and usp's in electric form, or bigger subs like mp7 or skorpion(my favourite).

AEP's are no nonsence and small, perfect for messing at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Hi,
    So airsoft guns can shoot 6mm bearings then.

If I was to get that 134 gas how long would it last and how do you connect it to the gun or fill the gun?

Thanks.

Ages, I have yet to finish a bottle if Green. That said I only scrim occasionally, and then my rifle is primary.

The magazine has a gas reservoir built in, so when a mag runs out of gas/BBs you can pop in a new one and fill the other when you get cover.

The electric pistol is a good idea, you will miss the realistic action, but for sheer practicality they can't be beat. they work in the same was an electric rifle, battery powered, comes with charger. (Here is an electric Glock, can't be sure of the build quality, but full auto pistols are made of awesome)

I'm pretty sure an airsoft gun will shoot a 6mm sphere regardless of what its made of. Using any sort of metal would be pointless anyway, the gun won't have enough power to propel a heavy projectile any usable distance.

On shotguns, if Stercus says a €40 is as good as a TM, take him at his word.
    Maybe this a similar one to the ones he is talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

How young is too young to start??? Is just 15 (like last week) too young???

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

Sure isn't. You'll probably need a parent or guardian to attend when you're buying a shooty-stick though, and to sites for to sign waivers and so forth, but there's plenty of players your age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Sure isn't. You'll probably need a parent or guardian to attend when you're buying a shooty-stick though, and to sites for to sign waivers and so forth, but there's plenty of players your age.
    Is there any airsoft sites in or around limerick???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Or try learning all the rules of airsoft, convincing her that you will be responsible and ask if you can go to a skirmish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Thread cleaned - Keep on topic please and don't feed the trolls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭markY6222

I have this one its great google it G&G ump very good gun keeps on running lol!

Advertisement