If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub Recommendations

• 11-08-2009 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

I am in the market for a sub but dont want to shell out too much as it unfortunately won't get as much exercise as I'd like (women, eh!)

Reviews have pointed me in the direction of the Mordaunt Short ms309i.
    Seems like a capable enough sub.

Is this something that richersounds stocks or can stock?

I am open to other well received brands/models as I suspect that this model may be discontinued.
    Want to keep an eye on the price too, something similar to that of the 309i

All suggestions appreciated

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Techno,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you!

The 309 is now a discontinued line - however I MAY be able to get you one on a special order basis if you are interested at £229.95 - we do have the Mordaunt Short Alumni 9 sub in stock at £199.95 however which has a 120 Watt amp and looks great in Piano Lacquer if you would like to try out one of those?

Again apologies for the delay in getting back to you and please drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

johnmc wrote: »
    Techno,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you!

The 309 is now a discontinued line - however I MAY be able to get you one on a special order basis if you are interested at £229.95 - we do have the Mordaunt Short Alumni 9 sub in stock at £199.95 however which has a 120 Watt amp and looks great in Piano Lacquer if you would like to try out one of those?

Again apologies for the delay in getting back to you and please drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc

Don't worry about the delay John, That sub is definitely interesting especially in the piano black finish. (It will match the Mrs' piano :-))

I plan on buying upgrading my amp to the onkyo 697 and denio 1910 in the next few months. i probably should be spedning more on a sub given the intended amps but i wont get to crank up the sub too often so dont want to spend too much.

Any advice you can give on my musings?

P.S. I also sent you a mail about this but you can ignore that now. Thanks again for the reply

Don't worry about the delay John, That sub is definitely interesting especially in the piano black finish. (It will match the Mrs' piano :-))

I plan on buying upgrading my amp to the onkyo 697 and denio 1910 in the next few months. i probably should be spedning more on a sub given the intended amps but i wont get to crank up the sub too often so dont want to spend too much.

Any advice you can give on my musings?

P.S. I also sent you a mail about this but you can ignore that now. Thanks again for the reply

Jeez Tech, now you have embarrassed me - takes me almost 2 days to reply to you and you reply to me in mins :o - and you are nice about it to boot!

If you want to go for the 607 + the shiny Alumni 9 I can do a package price of €599 including delivery.

On the Denon AVR1910 again with the Alumni 9 I can do €679.95 (that's not far off what most shops in Dublin are selling the old 1909 at!)

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

I'm "very busy" at work, that is why I can reply so quickly ;-)
    any becuase I'm so "busy" i'm also in a good mood!

Thanks for the reply, but I think I'll just get the sub on its own for the moment.

I will be looking for an amp and floorstanding speaker price from you in October though (big 3-0 birthday present!). Just want to get the sub as preparation!

My original question is would this sub be a suitable pairing with either the onkyo or denon amp?

I'm "very busy" at work, that is why I can reply so quickly ;-)
    any becuase I'm so "busy" i'm also in a good mood!

Thanks for the reply, but I think I'll just get the sub on its own for the moment.

I will be looking for an amp and floorstanding speaker price from you in October though (big 3-0 birthday present!). Just want to get the sub as preparation!

My original question is would this sub be a suitable pairing with either the onkyo or denon amp?

Yes the Alumni 9 will match the Onkyo or the Denon quire well - however it may be useful to look at the bigger picture (if you are looking at getting speakers it would be good but not essential to get a matched sub & floorstanders)..

Keep me posted,

ATB,

John Mc

• Advertisement

yeah, I had though of that but i started to sway to the opinion that i would hardly get to use it (and it would mostly be for games) so not spending too much over performance was to way to go.

You have me thinking otherwise now! crafty salesmen!!

ok, whats your recommendation for a floorstanders and sub to match the 607?
    probably would spend similar on floorstanders as the amp. Imam totally open to suggestions though

thanks again for your speedy replies! how do you ever get any work done outside of replying to boardsies?!!

thanks again for your speedy replies! how do you ever get any work done outside of replying to boardsies?!!

I don't - although I have just seen a post from a Boardie suggesting that as I have done a reply to a Boardie post today I must actually be doing some work today :mad: aaaggghh - maybe he does not know how long it takes to look after Boardies as we don't just bang out replies - we do actually give them some thought! and I also have the shops to run - still takes all sorts I guess!

Anyway rant over! if you are starting to look at the bigger picture and your heart is set eventually on sub & floorstanders - here are a few options:

Eltax Symphony Sub & Eltax Concept 180 floorstanders
    Total price = £169.95 (good budget option but not in 1910/607 territory)

Q Acoustics 1010 Si + 1030i floorstanders £429.99 (getting serious now!)

Monitor Audio
    Radius 360HD subwoofer & BR5 floorstanders £499.95

Hope that give you something to think/worry about!

ATB,

John Mc

ok, now we're talking.

Monitor Audio is a personal favourite of mine although I had sort of forgotten about them in terms of subs. they were at the back of my mind as floorstanders alright but as I wasnt going to get them until oct they stayed exactly there! out of mind!

right, could you reply here or if you prefer via PM with a euro price including shipping for the piano black Radius 360HD?

go nice and easy on me now ;-)

(I will come back to you in october regarding the floorstanders and 607)

ok, now we're talking.

Monitor Audio is a personal favourite of mine although I had sort of forgotten about them in terms of subs. they were at the back of my mind as floorstanders alright but as I wasnt going to get them until oct they stayed exactly there! out of mind!

right, could you reply here or if you prefer via PM with a euro price including shipping for the piano black Radius 360HD?

go nice and easy on me now ;-)

(I will come back to you in october regarding the floorstanders and 607)

No problem and I agree Monitor Audio is generally serious kit and it's brilliant value in Ireland when compared to the UK!

Radius 360HD in Piano Lacquer Black - £390 is pretty much the cheapest price online in the UK - Boardie price £199/€239 delivered

Food for thought?

ATB,

John Mc

Hey John, any chance of throwing in a pair of subwoofer cabes and i'll shake virtual hands?!

(reason i need two is that room is prewired, need one for each connection plate)

let me know what you think

• Advertisement

Bumpity Bump!

Want to get your attention John,

Ready to splash the cash and close today, hopefully be in receipt of sub by the end of the week! :-)

Please see my previous post.

Thanks again!

Hey John, any chance of throwing in a pair of subwoofer cabes and i'll shake virtual hands?!

(reason i need two is that room is prewired, need one for each connection plate)

let me know what you think

Techno,

I just cannot throw in 2 cables as well at that price - I honestly cannot see it at under £390 anywheer online so at £199 Boardie special it's pretty much unbeatable.

I will do you 2 Cambridge Audio Sublink 7.5 at just £12.95 each instead of £19.95 if you need a decent pair of subcables.

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you and again please do drop me a line if I can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc

Techno,

I just cannot throw in 2 cables as well at that price - I honestly cannot see it at under £390 anywheer online so at £199 Boardie special it's pretty much unbeatable.

Hehe, no worries I was just trying my luck. recession and all that ;-)
    I will do you 2 Cambridge Audio Sublink 7.5 at just £12.95 each instead of £19.95 if you need a decent pair of subcables.

I cant check that link in work at the moment John but if they're 7.5 metres I don't need anything that long. probably just two * 1m is plenty as I have termination plates located right where I am going to position the sub and righte beside the amp.
    Apologies for the delay in getting back to you and again please do drop me a line if I can assist in any way

Could you get back to me re the subwoofer cables and a total euro price based on the existing €239 and the additional for cables.

I am happy enough to go ahead with the purchase once the cables are sorted. Thanks for all your help.

Hehe, no worries I was just trying my luck. recession and all that ;-)

I cant check that link in work at the moment John but if they're 7.5 metres I don't need anything that long. probably just two * 1m is plenty as I have termination plates located right where I am going to position the sub and righte beside the amp.

Could you get back to me re the subwoofer cables and a total euro price based on the existing €239 and the additional for cables.

we can then proceed to purchase

No problem - we all have to try and save money these days!

If you only need 1 mtr cables then I would just buy an Arctic stereo cable which I will discount from £19.95 to £14.95/ €17.69.

So the total price would be £229.90 or €256.

Thanks again and keep me posted,

ATB,

John Mc

No problem - we all have to try and save money these days!

If you only need 1 mtr cables then I would just buy an Arctic stereo cable which I will discount from £19.95 to £14.95/ €17.69.

So the total price would be £229.90 or €256.

Thanks again and keep me posted,

ATB,

John Mc

sorry for annoying you again John, but are these cables joined lie twin RCA? I actually need two separate and distinct sub cables, 1m long each. even .5m long each would suffice
    Hope i'm not confusing things - I'm a n00b when it comes to subs i'm afraid!

bump

sorry for annoying you again John, but are these cables joined lie twin RCA? I actually need two separate and distinct sub cables, 1m long each. even .5m long each would suffice
    Hope i'm not confusing things - I'm a n00b when it comes to subs i'm afraid!

yep it is a single cable - but easily stripped into 2 (like really easily)

And don't apologise - apologies for the delay - I'm a n00b when it comes to gettin replies out in time :o

Keep me posted!

ATB
    J

yep it is a single cable - but easily stripped into 2 (like really easily)

Think I actually know what you mean. I have a pair of cambridge audio cables used on my cd player to amp. Looks like they would come apart very easily with little/no excess plastic where they join.

Anyway, this all sounds good - just once you're sure those cables are well shielded for use as subwoofer cables (bearing in mind that i have a good run or prewired coax cable going up the wall, across the ceiling and back down to the intended sub location)

what's the next step to closing this deal?

Thanks again John

bump

Think I actually know what you mean. I have a pair of cambridge audio cables used on my cd player to amp. Looks like they would come apart very easily with little/no excess plastic where they join.

Anyway, this all sounds good - just once you're sure those cables are well shielded for use as subwoofer cables (bearing in mind that i have a good run or prewired coax cable going up the wall, across the ceiling and back down to the intended sub location)

what's the next step to closing this deal?

Thanks again John

Sorry Techno,

was out of the office most of the last couple of days on installs and in Belfast.

Yep the Arctic is well screened - I'm sure it will be much better screened than your Coax.

If you want to go ahead - just drop me a PM with your contact details & I'll get one of the guys to give you a call to get you sorted.

Apologies again for the delay,

ATB,

John Mc

• Advertisement

Sorry Techno,

was out of the office most of the last couple of days on installs and in Belfast.

Yep the Arctic is well screened - I'm sure it will be much better screened than your Coax.

If you want to go ahead - just drop me a PM with your contact details & I'll get one of the guys to give you a call to get you sorted.

Apologies again for the delay,

ATB,

John Mc

That's great John, will send you PM shortly confirming details.
    Thanks again. Can't wait to get this bad boy up and running.

I will give feedback once all is done.

EDIT - I've sent you an email instead as I can't get the PM window opened in work. grrrr

Hi John,

just wanted to drop a line and say thanks. Ordered my sub last week and it was delivered next day - in fact it was approx 22 hours from order placement to receipt! amazing!

The guys forgot to pack the audio cable in the box so A quick email to Kenny and they were popped in the post and received a few days later! lucky I had a spare subwoofer cable lying around but this does not diminsh the experience in the slightest

a very satisifed customer indeed and would highly recommend to friends and other boardsies

anyway, have a couple of things hope you can offer advice on

1) in about 6 weeks I will be looking for an onkyo 607 and either monitor audio br5/6 depending on cost. I'll be looking for a knockdown price from you ;-). are you likely to have any clearanc/reductions on these items befor then as i can push the 6 weeks forward if necessary

2) A technical query related to my sub purchase. I know this is outside the confines of the purchase but just wondering if any of the rs techies can explain my problem. when i connect my sub directly to my amp, all works ok.
    when i connect the sub through termination plates and prewire coax I immeditaly get a loud hum. Just wondering if you could offer advice here.

Thanks again for all your help

Scrap my second point. Got the sub humming problem sorted!! :D

Scrap my second point. Got the sub humming problem sorted!! :D

Techno,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - I have been away for the last couple of days unexpectely without access to boards (don't ask - no where nice :rolleyes:)

Great to hear that you have got the sub sorted out - how does it sound??? Also any pics (we must put up a thread with Richer Sounds And Philips Shop system in situ in Boardie homes????)

Re the 607 - god man are we not cheap enough already??? _ I had a Boardie on the phone to me who bought an Onkyo TXST607 from me this week and he said we were €190 cheaper than a local Dublin store :eek: - anyway I've PM'd you a scorching Boardie 607 special price to save you waiting 6 weeks!

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATB,

John Mc

Techno,

Great to hear that you have got the sub sorted out - how does it sound??? Also any pics (we must put up a thread with Richer Sounds And Philips Shop system in situ in Boardie homes????)

Hey John,

I'll stick a photo or two up of the sub and the connection plates tonight. I'm embarrased to show a photo of my highly modified €50 argos tv stand. It was the only stand i could get to hold three peices of av equipment in width (which still required a little D.I.Y. :-) )!!!!!!!!
    Re the 607 - god man are we not cheap enough already??? _ I had a Boardie on the phone to me who bought an Onkyo TXST607 from me this week and he said we were €190 cheaper than a local Dublin store :eek: - anyway I've PM'd you a scorching Boardie 607 special price to save you waiting 6 weeks!

Cheers John, that price is awesome alright. I did send a reply via PM as I'm also looking to get a Set of monitor audio br5 along with the 607. However the missus says I'll have to hold off until my birthday, end of October before purchase. grrrr.
    We'll get in touch again in a few weeks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.