Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CLAN WARS 2 - RESULTS

Options
  • 11-08-2009 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Clan Wars 2 was a success and the feed back has been excellent, this was the first fully governed and sanctioned ISKA event in Ireland and the 2nd in the UK so we were a bit more nervous than normal but with a few minor issues expected with a first event everything came through ok in the end.

One of the reasons it was a success was down to the professionalism and experience of the shows officials, so again i would like to thank them and show our appreciation! -

Ref - Aiden Marron - best in the business and good friend,always their to give a hand and offer advice!

Judges - Marty Walker, Peter Lavery, Ralph Duff - 3 experienced guys and pilar stones behind the success of MMA in Ireland i am sure you will agree

Time keeper - Tim Mc Crory - another experienced MMA fighter and very knowledgable guy on all aspects of MMA.

The 5 paramedics and 3 doctors - Without these guys the show would not have been sanctioned, extra thanks to Anthony for working closely with us to help meet the requirements from the ISKA.

Also to the cage girls and everyone else who has helped with the preperation of the show!

Alot of you had e-mailed me to get up the results asap so here they are below -

Josh Chesney (EMA) (debut) v Ryan Martin (IMMA)(debut) - 65kg D class - Winner Ryan Martin by triangle

Gary Carlin (Oakleaf JJ) (debut) v James O'Harra (Cobra Martial Arts) (Debut) 84kg D class - Winner James O Harra unnanomous decession

Declan Mc Cormack (IMMA) v Louis Gribben (EMA) D class 80kg - Winner Louis Gribben unnanomous decession

Brendy Mc Cormick (EMA) (debut) v Lee Mitchell (Cobra martial arts)(debut) D class 70kg - Winner Lee Mitchell by armbar

Ciaran Mc Fadden (Oakleaf jj) v Gareth 'Wurzel' Loughran (Sudden Impact) - 93kg D class - Winner Gareth Loughran unanomous decession

Stephen Owens (IFS) 1-0-0 v Kilian Kearney (EMA) (debut) D class - 77kg - Winner Split decession Kilian Kearney

Jason Sibbet (IFS) (C class debut) v Adam Kemp (Frames Tia Jutsu) (C class debut) - 68kg - Winner Adam Kemp by guilotine

Joe Frey (IFS) (C class debut) v Andrew Falconer (Juku Ryu JJ) (C class debut) 65kg - Winner Joe Frey by Armbar 8 seconds

Paul Laverty (IFS) (C Class debut) v Chris O Hare (EMA) (C class debut) 65kg - Winner Chris O Hare by TKO

James Gallagher (Queens Revolution BJJ) (C Class debut) v Andy Young (Frames Tia jutsu) (C class debut) 65kg C class - Winner James Gallagher unnanomous decession

Sean Pagel (Juku Ryu Ju Jitsu) (C class debut) v James Mc Dowell (IMMA) 0-2-0 75kg C class - Winner James Mc Dowell by kimura

Gary Mc Alevy (EMA)(C class debut) v Stuart Cowden (Frames Tia Justu) (C class debut) 70kg - Winner Stuart Cowden by guillotine

Andy Bell (Juku Ryu JJ) (C class debut) v Jimmy Ward (IMMA )(C class debut) - 95 kg - Winner Andy Bell by guillotine

Gavin Carlin (Oakleaf JJ) (C class debut) v David Brown (Cobra Martial Arts) (1-0-0) 84kg C class - Winner David Brown unnanomous decession

Merv Muholland 75kg (Juku Ryu JJ) 1-1-0 v Ciaran Hogan (Elite 400) (C Class Debut) 78kg - Winner Merv by armbar

Heres one of the fights from James Gallagher (QUEESN BJJ) and Stuart Cowden (FRAMES TIA JUTSU) -

round 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCOwOBbR0yY&feature=player_embedded

round 2 & 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j73wk1Vkj-k&feature=player_embedded

More pictures and a newspaper report will be posted shortly

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Those leg kicks look fairly vicious for a BJJ guy. good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

IFS.NI wrote: »
    Joe Frey (IFS) (C class debut) v Andrew Falconer (Juku Ryu JJ) (C class debut) 65kg - Winner Joe Frey by Armbar 8 seconds

Standout of the night for me. Cracker. The lad knew what he wanted to do and followed his plan to a tee. No punches were thrown and they didnt even break a sweat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

That sub by the Ulster Fry was top drawer.

He slapped it on twice and the other guys arm looked hyper extended

Would like to see him in action again

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

Those leg kicks look fairly vicious for a BJJ guy. good fight.

James is also a black tag (which i think is just one grade off black belt?) In taekwondo and has won a bunch of titles in it. So not just a BJJ guy as much as we'd like to take credit for his kicking ability :P

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IFS.NI

Heres a website for Clan Wars for anyone interested -

www.clanwarspromotions.com

thanks

IFS.NI

(www.ifsni.com)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

When are you thinking of having ClanWars 3 Paul?
    Will there be Pro fights on it? Or just D-Class and C-Class as you have done before?

When are you thinking of having ClanWars 3 Paul?
    Will there be Pro fights on it? Or just D-Class and C-Class as you have done before?

Hi Marty,

Prob around March time mate.

There will be Pro fights with C class to start with, theres fighters comming over from England from the newly formed ISKA MMA events in the UK so would be good to give them a good run for their money and highlight the quality of Irish MMA fighters and hopefully open alot more new doors for them on the UK and European Circuits.

We will hold the amateur events in Glenavon and the Pro shows in a bigger event that we are working on as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭smoochie06

Watched the James Gallagher fight on youtube and thought it was a great fight. They kept going for it til the end. If Andy had a few more seconds he might have had an armbar.

smoochie06 wrote: »
    Watched the James Gallagher fight on youtube and thought it was a great fight. They kept going for it til the end. If Andy had a few more seconds he might have had an armbar.

Yea it was a fantastic bout, both fighters gutsy as hell and hard as nails!

Very good fight from two very talented fighters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Great stuff :D

• Advertisement

It's up to the judges of course but I think that fight went the wrong way.

The guy who won looked like he may have been a better fighter but the other lad fought harder and pushed the action.

But thats just my opinion but I think most of the crowd agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jamesgtkdbjj

And if I had a few more seconds I could of had a kimura in the 1st round.
    Really you think the fight went the wrong way? You are entitled to your opinion, however I dont think fights are judged on how hard you fight, but based upon effective striking, grappling and octagon control.
    I landed more effective strikes (he landed one really good shot in the form of a right hook in the first few seconds of the 1st round), I landed all the takedowns and controlled the clinch.
    The result wasn't a split decision but a unanimous one, the judges are experienced and respected in many irish mma circles, s i trust in their decision.
    'I think most of the crowd agreed' that's because most of them were probably from tai jutsu there to support Andy and were booing the result.
    My coach was talking to Andy's coach Mark, I have trained with Mark and have alot of respect for him, he said he was sorry and disgusted with the booing I recieved especially on my debut and that he will be having a word with the supporters.
    It's very unprofessional and disrespectful, how could you boo 2 fighters that have trained so hard and had the courage to step into the cage, go the distance and leave everything they had in the cage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Maybe i need to watch the fight again, and no disprect to the other lad, but I thought james dominated. a unanimous decision was the correct decision in my opinion.

Look man I mean you no malice I just thought the other guy won.

As for the booing. Yes it was out of order. You showed skill and as I said I think you are a better fighter than him with regard overall skill.

I don't know why you didn't strike more. You were winning that game. You seemed intent to jump guard a few times which I think left you in a weaker position quite a few times. For this reason I would have scored the other way.

As I say its my opinion

'I think most of the crowd agreed' that's because most of them were probably from tai jutsu there to support Andy and were booing the result.
    My coach was talking to Andy's coach Mark, I have trained with Mark and have alot of respect for him, he said he was sorry and disgusted with the booing I recieved especially on my debut and that he will be having a word with the supporters.
    It's very unprofessional and disrespectful, how could you boo 2 fighters that have trained so hard and had the courage to step into the cage, go the distance and leave everything they had in the cage.

Hi James,

This issue was raised on saturday night after the event and is pending further investigation, both coaches from the Tia Jutsu team have been informed off this and quite rightly are disgusted with their followers. The tai jutsu fans boo'ed every fighter their team was fighting not just yourself - if this had of been seen earlier they would have been asked to leave - A clear announcement at the start of the night was for all the crowd to support all the fighters and booing and being disrespectful would not be tolerated - its only when i seen the end of some of the videos did i realise the unsportsman like conduct of the Frames supporters. This was also addressed in the Clan Wars pre fight package along with the rules and regulations.

Every other teams supporters where respectful of both fighters but yet again a small minority of ejits let the side down - the only way to address this for future events is a zero tolerance for unsportsman like behaviour
    from the crowd. No one wants to see it and it lets down everyone who is trying to promote MMA the way it should be not to mention the club the supporters are following!!

The ISKA is a quality sanctioning body and will not tolerate such behaviour - it has been reported to me from the head UK guys if this happens again the club fighting will not be asked back to future events unless they have their fans showing the respect that is deserved for both fighters to promote the sport in a professional manor! This will be up to all the clubs taking part to constantly remind their supporters of the true spirit and progression of MMA in Ireland respecting both fighters!

We had a head count of 500 people and only 4-5 guys were dis-respectful out of this number but it only takes a small number of people to spoil things for everyone else.

The sooner people wise the fcuk up the better!

I may have been winning the striking game but striking is not my greatest strength and it was Andy's greatest strength why would I want to run the risk of getting knocked out by the striker...not very clever. I had a game plan stuck to it, implemented it and pulled it off.
    So you would of gave the match to Andy because I pulled guard once? Just as well Demian maia submitted his opponent or he may have lost for pulling guard in one of his fights.
    And as i said you are entitled to your opinion.

I appreciate it what you are doing IFS.NI, and congratulations on an otherwise very successful show and turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭dasmoose

For the sake of full disclosure I'll point out that I coached james heavily for this fight and was in his corner (i'm the one with the awesome shorts :D)

I appeciate that I will be inherently biased so I'm going to try and just stick to (hopefully) just the facts.

As james said above fights are scored based on effective striking, effective grappling, and aggression/cage control. If the majority of the fight takes place striking then it is weighted that way.. if the majority is on the ground then it is weighted that way. So let's weigh it up.

The strategies of the fighters were pretty obvious - James was looking to take the fight to the mat and look for a submission, or failing that use his taekwondo experience to control the distance and score with kicks. Andy was clearly looking to keep the fight standing and score with punches. I think that while Andy did an excellent job of defending the majority of James takedown attempts, James did score several takedowns (I think we counted at least 4, there may have been more) with control and a few where Andy was able to get up very quickly. You do not get points for defending no matter how good your defence is, you get points for attacking whether its with a striking or grappling technique, so therefore James wins the grappling portion of the fight.

As for standing - as James said above Andy landed a good combination in the opening seconds of the first round. After that I don't think Andy managed to land any solid shots, and James scored a lot with leg, chest and head kicks.

As for pulling guard... well, I guess that is open to interpretation, my opinion is that it's fairly neutral scoring wise - you shouldn't get any points for it because it's not an offensive move, but your opponent shouldnt either because he didn't do anything. Even if you think pulling guard scores negatively you need to bear in mind that this wasn't a case of James shooting, getting sprawled on, standing up then eating a bunch of punches (in which case I would agree with you that Andy should have got the decision) - or if Andy had used that to his advantage and passed James guard and/or attempted a submission - then fine, he scores - but what happened is James would stand up and then score again with strikes or attempt another takedown.

As for cage control and aggression, I would say this is more debatable because Andy did a very good job of keeping the fight on the feet for a sizeable proportion... but James still scored more in both areas.

i agree, in terms of agression it was alot more debatable, Andy kept pushing forward, but I either took a shot for the takedown or moved back countering with kicks.

On the show's note it was well organised and I see that they are trying real hard to be professional and do things the proper way which is always a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

i agree, in terms of agression it was alot more debatable, Andy kept pushing forward, but I either took a shot for the takedown or moved back countering with kicks.

Dont mind the booers and negative people who will never know what its like to even step foot in the cage anyway, you stuck to your gameplan and you got the W, you dont get points for trying to be the hero. Well done and keep up the good work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 patrick86

Standout of the night for me. Cracker. The lad knew what he wanted to do and followed his plan to a tee. No punches were thrown and they didnt even break a sweat.

Is there a video of this fight? would like to see it in slow motion lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 pauls01

patrick86 wrote: »
    Is there a video of this fight? would like to see it in slow motion lol

I saw a fella floatin about the top of the balcony with a video camera most of the night so there's probably a video kicking about. Just looked on that Clan Wars website that IFS.NI linked to earlier and it says more videos are coming soon so they are probably being edited or whatever. www.clanwarspromotions.com/clanwars2videos.php

Nice website btw.

CLAN WARS 2 - IRELANDS FIRST FULLY SANCTIONED ISKA MMA EVENT

Reported by Marc Turbitt, Irish Daily Mirror.

In recent years mixed martial arts has taken root in Ireland, with clubs popping up all over the country making it easily accessible for newcomers to take up the discipline.
    With so much interest and promising talent in the country it was only a matter of time before a fully sanctioned official event was organized to pit these fighters against each other under a world recognized governing body of the highly respected ISKA, the event being Clan Wars.

Clan Wars took place on Saturday August 8th 2009 at the Glenavon House Hotel, Cookstown, when Ireland seen its first fully sanctioned MMA event under the quality governance of the world’s most prestigious martial arts body the ISKA. Getting the ISKA on board was a priority for the organizers who want to promote Clan Wars as a professional, safely governed event and shake off any previous MMA stereotypes that were tagged by people who did not fully understand the safety and quality measures that are taken or the training and effort put in by the fighters or coaches.

It has been stated by the British Medical Journal (BMJ) in a published report of over 1270 fights exposures in the period March 2002 to September 2007 that “Injury rates in regulated professional Mixed Martial Arts competition are similar to other combat sports; overall risk of critical sports related injury appear low” The emphasis must therefore remain on the word regulated. At all times control and supervision in accordance with the rules must be adhered to in order to maintain this fact.

Clan Wars aim is to help build MMA's future in Ireland to show-case Irish talent and also to ensure quality events that will show that Ireland is catching up quickly with the rest of the world with shows that everyone can enjoy.
    I spoke to Paul Mc Laughlin (One of Clan Wars Promoters and IFS.NI coaches)
    "MMA is the fastest growing sport in the world and with help from a quality sanctioning body such as the ISKA will only help promote the sport in a positive light, provide high quality shows with the tightest regulations and strict medical health and safety policies. We have 3 doctors at cage-side along with 5 paramedics who are fully equipped with the latest medical equipment ensuring an extremely safe event for all the participants. One thing we HAVE to ensure is that the safety of participants is paramount and this aspect is our number one priority.”

This aspect of the event was exceedingly well planned with full coverage of risk assessments, Health and Safety Policies, Insurance cover and Pre/Post fights health checks. It showed an extremely high safety benchmark.

For a newly staged show I was impressed with the professionalism and attention to detail that the organizers had shown. From the strobe lighting effects, to seductive ring-girls, to the bellowing walk-in music the tone of the night was set as in-your-face sports entertainment at its best and it certainly carried it out. But glitz and glamour aside, this night would have been meaningless without the fighters.

With nine local clubs showcasing their best talent at Clan Wars it was exciting to see promising, well-trained professional athletes get in the cage and put everything they had learned in the long gruelling months and years spent in training into action.
    With 14 fights in total over the course of the night ranging from D class to C class, the variety of different disciplines was a credit to Irish martial arts. The fights themselves where very well matched as a lot of them went to the judges’ decision, which is rare for MMA events of this size.

The fight of the night was the battle between James Gallagher from Revolution BJJ at Queens Uni and Andy Young from Frames Tia Jutsu. This was a classic striker versus grappler fight which was a war to the end with both fighters giving it their all. The fight went to the judges and James Gallagher was declared the victor. This would be an excellent rematch to see from what promises to be two great prospects for Irish MMA.

Submission of the night went to Joe Fry from Israeli Fighting Systems Northern Ireland with a lightning fast takedown and arm bar in 8 seconds against another of Irelands great up and coming fighters Andrew Falconer representing Juku Ryu Ju Jitsu in Larne. Well done to Joe for an impressive display of speed and technique. The crowd was obviously impressed as they erupted with massive applause and cheers for young Joe.

I have been to similar boxing and martial arts events in the past and I must say the quality of Clan Wars 2 totally went beyond any of my expectations regarding professionalism, quality, entertainment and regards for the safety of its competitors. It was excellently run and will definitely promote MMA in a more positive light in Ireland.

I can not wait for Clan Wars 3 in Feb 2010 which will be held at a much larger event I am told and see the first fully sanctioned Pro fights with fighters competing from all over Ireland and England; hype for this has already begun with a large crowd expected from all over Ireland after the success of Clan Wars 2.

Well done to Clan Wars Promotions and IFS.NI.

Advertisement