Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perfecting my pizza base

Options
  • 11-08-2009 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

So I made my first attempt at making my own pizza at the weekend, even made my own sauce, go team ;)

The base though it tasted very doughy, floury or something.

Im wondering if perhaps I used the wrong flour?? I used 1 and a half cups of plain white flour, 2 sachets of yeast(7g) and a hald cup of warm water and a pinch of salt, where did I go wrong?? It was nice but not fantastic.

any input much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

You'd need to use 'strong' flour - it has more gluten in it, so the end result is less biscuity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

olaola wrote: »
    You'd need to use 'strong' flour - it has more gluten in it, so the end result is less biscuity.

Ok I`ll try that next time :) It was a spur of the minute thing so just chanced the plain flour.:) Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

+1 on the flour. Plus, that seems an awful lot of yeast for that amount of flour. The recipe I use in my breadmaker (makes a 10" base) is ...

1/2 tsp yeast (i.e. a small fraction of one sachet!)
    300g strong white flour
    1/2 tbsp sugar
    15g butter
    1 tsp salt
    210ml water

Maybe the proportions are different due it being done in the breadmaker, I don't know, but 2 sachets still sounds like a lot to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

It does seem like a lot of yeast alright! I'd usually use one (7g) sachet to 500g flour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

It probably was way too much, I was being very experimental ;)

I`ll defo cut back the yeast the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

i also find that if you use a pizza stone it defo helps to cook a lot quicker so there is less time for the sauce to soak into the dough..... also spraying a small bit of olive oil on the base before the sauce goes on can help too.

Advertisement