Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MB and OS advise Please

Options
  • 11-08-2009 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

First post….

Half way through my system build and I hit a snag I wanted a 790i ultra sli MB but can’t get one locally for under 200e….

Below is the list of components I have already

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650
    8G of Samsung DDR3 1333mhz
    128G SSD ( for boot drive)
    1TB X 2 Hd’s
    GTX280
    Bluray RW
    DVD RW
    750 watt psu
    Logitech KB and Mouse
    Alienware Case 2.0
    Card reader with bluetooth

Basically I need advise on what motherboard ( reasonable price), Heatsink and OS to run……

I was going to try windows 7 to make use of all memory, but am open to advise on this.

System will be mainly for gaming and some video editing.

Also I’m looking for a 24”monitor with a scart input are these any good to double as a second TV using AV sender?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Do you need SLi? In any case four DDR3 modules on LGA775 is going to really hurt the variety and price of motherboards you can use in this system :(

Cheapest I've seen is this. While quite a few newer P45s have DDR3 many only have 2-3 slots and you need 4. D'oh. There's supposed to be a new MSI (P45-C51) coming out with four DDR3 slots for just €85, but its not out til near the end of the month :(

If you really want to use a second GTX280, bend over - you're gonna be raped. Cheapest n790i I've seen outside Germany is close to €240. i7 would be cheaper... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Topcat104

Solitaire wrote: »
    Do you need SLi? In any case four DDR3 modules on LGA775 is going to really hurt the variety and price of motherboards you can use in this system :(

Cheapest I've seen is this. While quite a few newer P45s have DDR3 many only have 2-3 slots and you need 4. D'oh. There's supposed to be a new MSI (P45-C51) coming out with four DDR3 slots for just €85, but its not out til near the end of the month :(

If you really want to use a second GTX280, bend over - you're gonna be raped. Cheapest n790i I've seen outside Germany is close to €240. i7 would be cheaper... :o

Cheers that MB might work for me..... the reason I wanted SLI was to future proof myself room to add a second card down the line.

What OS would you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ya dont need win7; x64 vista is rock solid in my own experience; you just need the 64bit OS to access all teh available memory.

Also, will you really fill 128gigs on yer OS boot drive?

finally; time and time again, the guys here will say dont bother with 2 cards in SLI; if ya want two get the x2 or the nvidia equivalent I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Topcat104

kaimera wrote: »
    ya dont need win7; x64 vista is rock solid in my own experience; you just need the 64bit OS to access all teh available memory.

Also, will you really fill 128gigs on yer OS boot drive?

finally; time and time again, the guys here will say dont bother with 2 cards in SLI; if ya want two get the x2 or the nvidia equivalent I guess.

Cheers... I don't really like vista thats why I was going for win7....

Not going to go for the SLI option, guess there will be a 2g card out at some stage I can always upgrade to one of them if needs be.

Is the Asus MB the best one for me ?

I got the 128SSD cheap thats why I have it...

Advertisement