Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anybody plant Garlic

Options
  • 11-08-2009 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

Just wondering how many on here grow their own garlic!

R1

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

we do

well try to, the local cats spend most of their time eating it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I dont but during the winter months I take it in capsule form as an immune booster

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭fuchia

Just harvesting now. Bought cloves from Mr.Middleton Oct.2007, sowed Oct/Nov.Great crop.
    Sowed my own clovesOct. They need a cold spell in the ground to form cloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I grew my first batch of hard neck garlic this summer - probably about 50 bulbs. Planted last winter in a raised bed. Once the flower heads appeared, I cut them off and harvested about 3 weeks later as the necks became yellow and strawlike. They are all hanging in the shed now - dry, papery skins and strong, juicy cloves. Will definitely be growing again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭keiran110

grew wild in my friends garden. So much of it too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Dodser

You can plant them anytime in the Autumn, but Fuchia is right, they need the frost of winter to get them going. Try not using the stuff from the supermarket that sprouts green shoots. These tend to be varieties from hotter countries. If you can get cloves from Garden centre...much better.

The taste of home grown fresh Garlic is superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppyfields

Hi,

I grow garlic over here in the West of Ireland. Was down at Irish Seedsavers for a course last year and picked up some garlic and planted it in October.
    It's so easy to grow,even I could do it. Harvested it last week and we have been stinking ever since!

I also planted some in Feb and that is still happily growing away.

Also for the first time this year I finally figured out what wild garlic looks like. I'm addicted to it. I picked loads of it and blanched it and have put in freezer. It makes the most delicious garlic pesto so watch out for in the Spring, well worth picking.

www.lifeinthesloelane.moonfruit.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

here's my crop of Garlic ( and onions)
    Must plant more this winter:)

now to freeze all the peas .

tomorrow i will be mostly making Tomato sauce, then wait for the chillies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Hackets on Capel street in Dublin will have garlic for sowing in about a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Yep +1 for fuchia - the overwintering works wonders....

Keep an eye open for some of the other garlic types as well - I grow red garlic (milder + sweeter), Golden Garlic which has a smoky flavour & elephant garlic which produces a HUGE bulb & each clove lasts for ages.

I personally buy mine from the Isle of Wight Garlic shop & either bring it home from the BBC Good Food show in London or get it by mail order

http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/Grow-your-own-Garlic-Seed-Garlic-for-Planting-from-The-Garlic-Farm.aspx

Well worth a look if you like Garlic 7 they deliver to Ireland within a few days !

• Advertisement
Advertisement