Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career change TO software

Options
  • 11-08-2009 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

I know there was another similar thread looking for advice on other careers besides software but I'm looking to try and get into it.

I am looking to make a move into software development/programming. I completed my BSc in Software Development about 4 years ago but never used it. I was working in the hardware side of the business and really need to make a change.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might get my foot in the door. I realize that I will have to do some serious re-training, I did look at UCD who were running 2 week refresher courses but they are now full with no future plans to run them again. I would happily do night courses but would love to be working someplace where I could use what I learn't as I was learning it.

Are there any companies out there that take on junior programmers or where do the guys fresh out of college go to get work experience.

I would even make a move out of the country if needs be.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I finished my SD course this year, applied for a job locally that were looking for an experienced PHP, JSP, JS, ASP.NET etc. developer (I was more a JAVA programmer than anything) and got it before I finished my exams, its luck of the draw really. if you know your stuff you should have no problems. Just apply for everything. I always thought Id be a java developer but I am now a jack of all trades (but mainly PHP developer!) and I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

The best way to get into it is by undertaking projects in your spare time. The experience will stand to you when applying for jobs, and you'll learn so much from every project.

Goodluck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

If you think like a junior and pitch yourself as one then people will treat you as such and pay you accordingly. Like the poster above says it would be better to work on projects in your spare time. That way you can work on what suits you and not others. If you were to put together a couple of really professional looking web sites on topics that interest you then that would change people's perception.

Like yourself I finished my programming degree 3 years ago but would never have went to work in the software game because I know my head would have been wrecked by now.

Instead I did personal projects that fitted my interests - web development using php etc - and I really enjoy it. I even get contacted about one off jobs from time to time.

From the forums it seems that a lot of people hate working in IT and is rare to hear from someone who loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

You could possible do a graduate diploma in Soft dev or something to refresh your skills but I think, as had be said, getting a project and working on that will probably refresh your skills just as quickly.

If your working on the hardware side of things there's bound to be utilities and applications that could make you life easier. Start developing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I agree with the other posters. Work on some sort of project on the side, whether that be an iphone app or a website or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nedz2009

John_Mc wrote: »
    The best way to get into it is by undertaking projects in your spare time. The experience will stand to you when applying for jobs, and you'll learn so much from every project.

Goodluck with it!

Thanks for all the feedback. I downloaded the Netbeans IDE a number of weeks ago and have been doing some simple programs to try and jump start the brain again.

With regards to work, I'm not working in the computer field at all at the moment. I have been applying for jobs and was hoping if anyone could think of a company that had a software development section. I understand pauldiv's view that if I aim low I won't get very far. But if making coffee for a few months is what I need to do then thats what I'll do, well as long as coffee making get me a livable wage, I could then do my projects in my spare time and make a lateral move into programming from there.

This may be wishful thinking but it's something that I'm determined to make a go at.

Again thanks for the help again, keep it coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

I went from support to field engineer to IT admin to software development in about 3 years after finishing college. I'd dragged my heels about getting an internship/graduate position and there was a flood of people like me when I graduated.

Anyway, the way it happened was just getting into a smallish company where they *do* software development and getting your foot in the door so to speak. The boss heard I could program and they needed someone to help out the behind schedule devs so I got transferred.

About 6 months later I got offered another job and went from a C#.Net dev with a little Win32 experience to a full on Win32 dev! That was a steep learning curve!

Anyway, my point is, it's partially about what you know, but it can also be about who you know. I think if you're already in the IT field in some degree, there can definitely be opportunities. And in the mean time, keep learning!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JimmyDeMechanic

I was in a similar position this time last year, had been out of software for a few years after doing it in college and doing a 1-year intership. After 3 - 4 mths of looking I got a bit of luck and got my foot in the door doing some .Net stuff along with other bits and pieces.

Really what I did was apply for everything I could see on the jobsites where they were looking for 1-2 years experience. I also applied to individual companies after a lot of googling, and rang a lot of places as well.

In the few interviews I got they all asked me how long has it been since I'd programmed, I told them its been a few years since I worked as a programmer but I've been doing this and this on the side the last while to get back into it. When they're looking for a person with just a bit of experience that sort of thing helps a lot. Also let them know how keen you are to keep learning.

Be openminded to having to travel elsewhere in the country for a job, and you'll get something with a bit of patience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nedz2009

Thanks guys. Its good to read stories like that, will keep going this path for a while and hopefully it will all lead to something solid. As I said travelling wouldn't be an issue for me, so will keep trying everything and see what happens.

Advertisement