Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax and insurance on a new car?

Options
  • 11-08-2009 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all

I'm new here and couldn't find a topic about this. If there is one already I apologise.

Basically I'm learning to drive and don't have my own car yet. I'm just learning in the instructor's car.

If I was to buy a car from a dealer how do I get it home? I can't drive it home as I haven't got tax and insurance on it. I can't tax and insure it as I don't own it yet. Could I leave it with the dealer until I sort the tax and insurance?

Could I get a mate to drive to my house and then sort the tax and insurance? Would he be insured to drive it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

You can arrange insurance and then pick it up when it's in place, but you will need to have a fully licensed driver with you.

You won't be able to tax it until the car is in your name.
    Could I get a mate to drive to my house and then sort the tax and insurance? Would he be insured to drive it?

Depends on what his policy allows, but I'd say probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

your mate would most likely have to temporarily transfer his insurance onto it

is having the garage deliver it an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Put a deposit on the car and arrange for you to collect it a couple days later when you have insurance sorted, have the insurance to come in force for the time you will collect the car. Normally the dealer will have to service the car so it wont be ready to take there and then. With regard to tax you cant tax it until the car is in your name, normally you have 30 days grace from date of sale, as tax is back dated the government wont lose out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No harm in asking the dealer to put three months on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Put a deposit on the car and arrange for you to collect it a couple days later when you have insurance sorted, have the insurance to come in force for the time you will collect the car. Normally the dealer will have to service the car so it wont be ready to take there and then. With regard to tax you cant tax it until the car is in your name, normally you have 30 days grace from date of sale, as tax is back dated the government wont lose out.

There is no grace period for tax in legislation, in theory if you have no tax even minutes after buying you could get a ticket.

However any right thinking member will understand if you have proof of purchase.

The insurance can be placed on the car over the phone before you pick it up. You then have ten days from the authenication of the disc to place it on your window, and the Garda should give you ten days to produce your certificate of insurance or exemption.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chris Finch

Thanks for the replies guys. It'll be a while yet before I get a car but I was just wondering about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 helen86

if you're looking for insurance company try wexford insurances at 0818 31 30 30. i got my car and business insured there and they were the cheapest, and the most helpful.

Advertisement