Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are good phone line stats?

Options
  • 11-08-2009 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

Ive been told by my ISP that my line stats are good. Just wondering if someone can confirm this.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 7616 kbps 672 kbps
    Line Attenuation 8.0 db 15.0 db
    Noise Margin 12 db 15.0 db

Perhaps a sticky on this subject would be useful so people have point of reference when checking if their line is suitable for a faster speed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

You live next door to the exchange then?

Max 8mb or 24mb on adsl2+

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

My stats

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 7168 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 17.0 db 8.0 db
    Noise Margin 13.8 db 17.0 db

You might get high pings on your package though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

There is a green Eircom box just coming into my village. I prob live less than 1km away from it.

I had heard the 7.6 was higher ping but at the moment it seems to be ok 29-35ms.

Wonder if 24mb will ever be rolled out to residential customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

They are very good stats Xcellor.

I have 7.6 m/bit myself and get sub 10ms ping to Ireland. You just have to call Eircom and get them reduce your interleaving.

These are good stats from one of our lines at work :p

Line State Up
    Modulation ADSL2+
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 19229 1021
    SN Margin (dB) 7.00 8.40
    Line Attenuation (dB) 13.50 4.50
    CRC Errors 13 0

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The links to Kitz have been given at nauseam at this stage. And even googling for 'good line stats' yields loads of information. There is no excuse at this stage for any regular on here not to know what good line stats are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

dub45 wrote: »
    The links to Kitz have been given at nauseam at this stage. And even googling for 'good line stats' yields loads of information. There is no excuse at this stage for any regular on here not to know what good line stats are.

The only reason I ask is that Eircom came back to U.TV and said that bad pings (an issue I was experiencing) were as a result of my line and they should downgrade me to 3 mb. U.TV told me basically this was sh*te since my stats were good. One of them is lying. So I wanted an independent to say "They are good stats capable of supporting 7mb".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Praetorian wrote: »
    They are very good stats Xcellor.

I have 7.6 m/bit myself and get sub 10ms ping to Ireland. You just have to call Eircom and get them reduce your interleaving.

These are good stats from one of our lines at work :p

Line State Up
    Modulation ADSL2+
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 19229 1021
    SN Margin (dB) 7.00 8.40
    Line Attenuation (dB) 13.50 4.50
    CRC Errors 13 0

Your on the business 24mb then?

If only they would give us ADSL2+ on retail 7mb. Then they could lower the interleaving. On bitstream it doesn't seem possible, in my case it never lowered anyway.

Advertisement