Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What were the factors which led Alonso to leave Liverpool.

• 11-08-2009 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

What in your opinion were the reasons for Alonso's departure. See poll above.

in your opinion, why did Alonso leave Liverpool 45 votes

A lack of success in the league
    0% 0 votes
    needed a fresh challenge
    28% 13 votes
    the amount of fouls on him last season
    64% 29 votes
    frustration with the manager
    6% 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Phantom poll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

What in your opinion were the reasons for Alonso's departure. See poll above.

Are you going to give your opinion yourself in this thread.

Its also been discussed ad nauseum in the Liverpool thread tbh.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Graham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

He was obviously deeply offended over the club trying to sell him last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

flahavaj wrote: »
    Are you going to give your opinion yourself in this thread.

Its also been discussed ad nauseum in the Liverpool thread tbh.
    God you guys are quick of the mark. My opinion. Think the attention he received off opposing players must have been a big factor. 35 fouls committed on him last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The UK's new 50% tax-rate. Probably even moreso than Rafa's 'falling out' with him, or the allure of Real Madrid.

Not that I wouldn't do the same, mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Relationship with the manager deteorated from the time he missed a CL match to be with his pregnant girlfriend/wife. They could still work together but when Madrid showed an interest his preference was to move. Of course if Madrid hadnt reached Liverpool's valuation, then he'd still be a Liverpool player.

Relationship with the manager deteorated from the time he missed a CL match to be with his pregnant girlfriend/wife. They could still work together but when Madrid showed an interest his preference was to move. Of course if Madrid hadnt reached Liverpool's valuation, then he'd still be a Liverpool player.
    Yes know there was a bit of residue left over when they decided to sell him and then pulled back on deal last season. Maybe he wanted to leave on good terms. Impression i got he was happy enough with Liverppool given an interview he gave on Liverpool TV. Not sure how old the interview was though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I imagine Rafas persuit of Gareth Barry made Alonso feel unloved and unwelcome.

United fans will say it was Rafa's fault.

Liverpool fans will say the lure of playing in his home country and moving his family back to Spain for a club of the stature of Madrid with the exciting signings they have made this Summer was too much to resist.

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

• Advertisement

flahavaj wrote: »
    United fans will say it was Rafa's fault.

Liverpool fans will say the lure of playing in his home country and moving his family back to Spain for a club of the stature of Madrid with the exciting signings they have made this Summer was too much to resist.

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.
    Yeah Madrid have brought in some big players since last season but how many in defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

A combination of factors, including playing for Real in Spain and the money. I think that he'd have been far less likely to have forced through the move if Rafa hadn't unsettled him last Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Quite simple really
    - Moving to a bigger and more successful club
    - MONEY (not to mention the fact he is Spanish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Money (tax)
    Marriage (shakes fist)
    Madrid ("a great project")
    Pissed off that Rafa would have sold him 2008 (Barry!?).

Yeah Madrid have brought in some big players since last season but how many in defence.
    Thats what the Liverpool fans said when this was debated extensively at the time the transfer happened. The wisdom of those signings is a debate for another day to be honest, it matters little here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

if one of the main reasons he left was that Rafa would have let him go if he had got 18m for him the season before, surely he should be asking Real why werent they willing to pay 18m for him the season before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Well they have signed Albiol and Arbeloa so they now have at least half of the Spanish backline in Ramos and Albiol (not to mention Casillas and Arbeloa).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

A bigger team (in his mind) came in for him. That happens a lot.

He might have stayed had he been more loyal to Liverpool or Benetiz. His loyalty to them however was probably utterly destroyed last year when Rafa tried to sell him.

As such, once a bigger team reached the asking price he was always gona go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Graham?

You called?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

if one of the main reasons he left was that Rafa would have let him go if he had got 18m for him the season before, surely he should be asking Real why werent they willing to pay 18m for him the season before?

One of the reasons could be he didnt play a brilliant game Vs Real Madrid in the Bernabau in the champions league the season before. Probably was man of the match (I watched the game again on Friday)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

His fecking missus! Damn wimmen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

To win things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Them shiny yokes with handles on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Because Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world having their most amazing summer ever transfer-wise & they are desperate for a Spanish heart.
    Because he is Spanish, has a young child & is just married (wants to set up home at home).
    Because he felt no over-riding loyalty to Rafa after last summer.

In that order.

Thread proceeding as predicted.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Methinks frustration with Rafa, as he was offered to Juve last summer but this year Rafa was hell bent on keeping him... I'd have done the same is his position..

Where's the homesick option?

Where's the homesick option?
    Comes under looking for a fresh challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Because he is Spanish and he would prefer to live and work in his homeland.
    A very big, successful club has given him that opportunity but I think he would also have gone to a slightly smaller club if that had been a possibility - if, say, there was a Spanish version of the top four.
    He had no particular reason to be loyal to Rafa either after last summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

There is so many conspiracy theories surrounding this deal...
    I think i should start a poll and ask why Ronaldo left Utd for Real.

And that story about rafa and alonso falling out, over him missing a champions league match to be there for the birth of his child, being a factor is crazy, i mean, come on guys.

Let me ask you this, if you were working in a wetter, colder, foreign country for 5 years, earning good money, and were just after getting married and starting to think about sending your kids to school, and were then got an offer to do the a job that you had dreamed of doing since you were a kid, back in your homeland for oodles more money that was non-taxable and your current employer gets a very hefty compensation fee to let you go...

would you capture it?

or just let it slip...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Foreign players get a generous tax break for a few years after they arrive but the standard tax arrangements available are still reasonable anyway. Also, I think that technically it's a 'non-residents' tax break so he might even be able to avail of it with some clever accounting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

The main reason I would say was to give him a better chance of making the Spain for 11 for the world cup. Also though a better chance of winning domestic and european honours, more money and to get away from a manager who doubted his ability.

Tomthepost wrote: »
    TAlso though a better chance of winning european honours

:D post of the day!

Liverpool beat Real Madrid 5-0 in the Champions League last year.

You're aware of that and have been regularly competing at the later stages of the CL since Rafas arrival, incl 2 semi finals, 2 finals & 1 win. All of which Xabi was part of.

Watever about domestic honours (i think Real & Liverpool have about the same chance of winning their league this year), Liverpool have pedigree in the last few years in the CL, Real don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Rafa found about the steamy affair between Alonso and Mrs.Rafa.

EDIT: Even then it sould be said Rafa held out for the best deal from Madrid! He is hardcore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

noodler wrote: »
    Rafa found about the steamy affair between Alonso and Mrs.Rafa.

EDIT: Even then it sould be said Rafa held out for the best deal from Madrid! He is hardcore.

I heard it was Lucas who ratted him out and that's why Rafa bought an injury prone midfielder so Lucas would get more games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,107 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Because Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world having their most amazing summer ever transfer-wise & they are desperate for a Spanish heart.
    Because he is Spanish, has a young child & is just married (wants to set up home at home).
    Because he felt no over-riding loyalty to Rafa after last summer.

In that order.

This pretty much sums it up for me. To be fair to him it would have been next to impossible to pass up, seeing the talent that has arrived there, particularly when there was a Xabi shaped hole stopping it from becoming a legendary team, they were crying out for a midfield metronome and they got it.

I have no doubt that Rafa's "its business" stance last year made the decision a lot easier, but i very much doubt it was the driving factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

benitez tryna dump him for barry
    a glamorous life in madrid..no more rainy liverpool:p
    money
    its his home country
    a new challenge

i think its a bit of all them....wish him all the best hes a legend 2 me, hope aquilani can fill the hugeeee loss that is xabi alonso<3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

What 99.999% of modern footballers care about

MONEY

:D post of the day!

Liverpool beat Real Madrid 5-0 in the Champions League last year.

You're aware of that and have been regularly competing at the later stages of the CL since Rafas arrival, incl 2 semi finals, 2 finals & 1 win. All of which Xabi was part of.

Watever about domestic honours (i think Real & Liverpool have about the same chance of winning their league this year), Liverpool have pedigree in the last few years in the CL, Real don't.

Post of the day:D:D
    Have you been following the close season at all?
    Any idea on the transfers in and out at the respective clubs?
    Liverpool will win nothing this season and as a Villa fan I am delighted to see it turn out this way for Rafa.
    Alonso is also probably sick of playing sh1te football.
    Go get a manager that plays football the right way. The liverpool way that I was in love with as a kid in the 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »

:p:p:p
    In fairness that result was extremely unfair. We missed alot of chances and some ridiculous decisions by the ref.
    Still only weeks away to the chance for revenge:)

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Agreed. This was the turning point for both the player and the manager I think.
    Rafa expects complete professionalism from all his squad at all times, no matter the circumstances, whereas I'm sure Xabi expected a bit of leeway given the situation. Plus if he's in that situation in future its probably easier to deal with a hormonal wife 'with child' if she's surrounded by family in the homeland, rather than in a flat on her own in Merseyside.

I don't think the relationship was ever the same afterwards, and once Madrid came calling that was always going to be that.

Kingdom wrote: »
    Agreed. This was the turning point for both the player and the manager I think.
    Rafa expects complete professionalism from all his squad at all times, no matter the circumstances, whereas I'm sure Xabi expected a bit of leeway given the situation. Plus if he's in that situation in future its probably easier to deal with a hormonal wife 'with child' if she's surrounded by family in the homeland, rather than in a flat on her own in Merseyside.

I don't think the relationship was ever the same afterwards, and once Madrid came calling that was always going to be that.
    Well assume she was in a very nice flat in liverpool when they were living there. Yes Pool seem to have a very good relatiionship with madrid. Alonso, Arbeloa, Owen, McManaman as examples.
    Will be interesting to see how the team lines out. Will they operate with a lone man up front in Kaka I wonder.

Liverpool will win nothing this season and as a Villa fan I am delighted to see it turn out this way for Rafa.
    Go get a manager that plays football the right way. The liverpool way that I was in love with as a kid in the 80s.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :D pathetic :pac:

Just in defence of RAFA, I think he has made us strong again from where we were under Houllier who I thought was a bit conservative.
    I think anyone who watched us last year will have been bowled over by our terrific fighting spirit.
    But what impressed me about RAFA was that Arsenal Liverpool game and his reaction to the goal that Arshavin scored on the break.
    Most marvelled about the terrific strike but Rafa was fuming that we were caught for goal so deep in arsenal half.
    Clearly he looks at things from how players play while in possession which is very important.
    And also he got a good price for Alonso so all in all a good bit of business there.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :D pathetic :pac:

Is that all you can say? Can't even defend yourself?
    If someone told me in 1989 that in 20 years time Arsenal would play better football than liverpool i would have laughed.
    You are living in a fantasy world if you think liverpool have a better chance of winning honours this season than madrid
    For the record Primera Liga to win title Madrid 11/10
    Premier League Liverpool 10/3
    Champions League Madrid 9/2 Liverpool 9/1

i don't need to defend myself.

your original post was so laughable, desconstructing it line by line would both be a waste of my time, and cause me to LOL in my office in work. I don't want people looking at me funny.

Quite funny, you're just a Villa fan with a chip on his shoulder after last year who thinks Rafa is a ****e manager & Liverpool play crap football.

Rafas honours won in his career & the fact that Liverpool played possibly the best football of any of the top 4 last year (scoring more goals than them all, hammering numerous team incl Utd & your own Aston Villa) argue my point perfectly for me.

Quite clearly your opinion is nonsense

Is that all you can say? Can't even defend yourself?
    If someone told me in 1989 that in 20 years time Arsenal would play better football than liverpool i would have laughed.
    You are living in a fantasy world if you think liverpool have a better chance of winning honours this season than madrid
    For the record Primera Liga to win title Madrid 11/10
    Premier League Liverpool 10/3
    Champions League Madrid 9/2 Liverpool 9/1
    as the last word on this as its OT, What about Madrid. Three high profile players all bought in the final third. Question still hangs over their defence.
    Are Arsenal playing better football. In patches. But still very brittle.
    I think bit by bit Rafa is getting there bit by bit. midfield players are finally starting to deliver.
    Back to question. Consensus seems to be that Alonso needs a fresh challenge. And to be fair he gave good service to the Pool. Good luck to him!

i don't need to defend myself.

your original post was so laughable, desconstructing it line by line would both be a waste of my time, and cause me to LOL in my office in work. I don't want people looking at me funny.

Quite funny, you're just a Villa fan with a chip on his shoulder after last year who thinks Rafa is a ****e manager & Liverpool play crap football.

Rafas honours won in his career & the fact that Liverpool played possibly the best football of any of the top 4 last year (scoring more goals than them all, hammering numerous team incl Utd & your own Aston Villa) argue my point perfectly for me.

Quite clearly your opinion is nonsense

Tell me one thing from my original post that was laughable?????
    Everything I said was accurate.
    Anyway I wont waste anymore time with you. I had enough of you last year sticking your head into the villa thread where you were not welcome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement