Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A different turtle breed please

Options
  • 11-08-2009 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

hi, i need help. Im looking to get a second turtle for my tank. At the moment i have a yellow bellied sllider and i'd like a different breed for my second turtle. Does anyone who where i can get different breeds cause the yellow belly turtle seems to be the only breed in every pet shop. Im located in Mitchelstown,Cork area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Hi Tony,

You should be able to get red eared sliders no problem in the pet shops. Very similar to YBS in housing needs and dietry requirements.

Also if you ring some pet shops might be able to order specific species of turtle in for you. Just make sure it's a type of turt that will mix with the ybs and have similar requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Hi Jen i rang a pet shop in fermoy and the guy said turtles dont go well together. This is surely incorrect as ive seen people with pairs of turtles.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Hey there, whoever told you that turtles dont go well together didn't know his stuff. I've got two turtles, one a yellow belly male and the other a red-eared female and I've had them together for almost three years and there's no problems with them. The thing about the petshops is that some of them dont even know what types of turtles they have. I got both of mine in the small pet shop in Cork city on North main street and one day they had red-eareds then about a month later they had yellow-bellies. I would try them, they usually have sliders but the only problem is that the guy who was working there when I went to get my male had no idea if he was male, or what breed it even was. Red-eareds are easy enough to tell because of the stripe or red along the side of their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Tony try petstop. they don't stock turtles but before our guy died (he was sick for about 4 months where we had to syringe feed him and constantly bring him to the vet but eventually got septicaemia and died) we were in there to see about getting another and they said though they don't stock them they will order them in for you.

You can keep them together but they would need to be similar in size is the only thing. Mainly as the bigger turtle is ususlly the dominant one and will prevent the smaller one getting food. This can be fixed though by sperating the turts during feeding times. Also one may bite the other I've heard of this happening with some people. So keep an eye on claws and tails!!

Rommie the reason he probably couldn't sex the turtle is they need to be maybe a year or two old before they can be sexed. The males tend to have long claws and the clocea I think is further up the tail than the female(I havn't needed that info in a while so the clocea bit could be the other way around) the females then tend to have short claws.
    ETA: just re-read your post Rommie and ya if they don't know the type given ybs and res are the most common they don't have a clue!

Terrapins sold in pet shops here are generally way too small to even think abot sexing! It would be difficult to even make a guess!

We were really only able to sex our girl at about 2-3 years old and sure when she was about 5 that she was definitly female :p

Let me know if I can be any more help Tony!

Advertisement