Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Dodgiest bar I was in was a 24 hour bar in Kings Cross in Sydney called the Mansions. There'd be all types there from backpackers, assorted crims, winos, junkies, whores and the rest. The bouncers were all Tongans and islanders, they beat a guy to death in the year I was there. Mind you, you'd be crazy to start anything with them, if you left them alone you were fine. One day about 20 armed cops came in and dragged a guy out of the bar. It turned out he'd robbed a bank a couple of hours earlier! :P

A group of us would go in about 5 in the morning after finishing night shift for a pint before heading to bed. There'd be the same guy slumped over the corner of the bar each morning. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 76 ✭✭hamstercrusher

Used to go to a night-club in Athboy as a teen, apparently some lad brought a shotgun to the front door after being refused, have seen countless fights, a lad I knew was glassed, sex and blowjobs down piss stained alleys, typical fare really for the country.

Lol is that Buck Mulligans or before then when it was the Kirwan? Nights out after that place were always a bit crazy, saw a minibus get attacked from a rival town after a night out there oncet, all the windows got smashed and the lads in the bus piled out and chased the others up the street.

There is another bar around there not well known, its out in the bog all on its own, mental place, no such thing as closing time, only time i've been in there is with my uncles as they are known. Last time i was there all i can remember is the barman pulling a pint playing an accordian while the punters were swingin out of the lights at 4am!! weird place though looks like you've stepped into someone's kitchen/living room from the 1970s. Hmm Uncle coming back from Canada in a few weeks might be time for a return visit.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Yep finches - clondalkin gets my vote. just look at the photo on the net LOL

http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/finches.html :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Here's Noctors on Sherrif Street!

http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/noctors.html

By the way, the place is looking unusually good in this photo as the windows are on show (usually the shutters are over them) and the shutter isn't half way down over the front door either! All the letters in the name are the same colour in that photo as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

"This place is my favourite. The cocktails are delicious, especially "Fruit Shloop" - a vodka and fruit juice blend. Five out of five."

I'm taking it that Noctor's ain't a cocktail type of place....

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Jonniealan wrote: »
    The old Chinaman in town somewhere some say it never actually existed, that it was an urban myth. But no i was in it about 17 at the time. Does anyone remember the Dublin Punk band paranoid visions well the lead singer was in there at the time and he decided to throw a shoe at me.

The most bizzare pub/place i have ever been too. Almost put me off booze if im honest.

???

It was one of the friendliest pubs in Dublin

Think OP needs to better define dodgey, did you not read the post? shotguns going off to stop a fight.

The worst thing that might happen in the chinman was your drug dealer short changed you or someone skipped you on the pool table

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

The Fob and Gill in Mayfield, Cork. The place has no windows. Had to go there for a christening afters, once the locals found out me and my brother were from Turners cross on the southside the mood took a dive, never erver goin back there. They call it the Bob and Kill

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

The Steering Wheel and The Olympic Arms in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

oceanclub wrote: »
    "This place is my favourite. The cocktails are delicious, especially "Fruit Shloop" - a vodka and fruit juice blend. Five out of five."

I'm taking it that Noctor's ain't a cocktail type of place....

P.

Understatement mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Padman

Anyone hear of Katie Gallaghers in Bray?

Yeah,exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Padman wrote: »
    Anyone hear of Katie Gallaghers in Bray?

Yeah,exactly.

bloody cheeck!!:mad::mad: i know katie well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I walked into a dive bar with some friends on the East end in Vancouver a few years back. Some guy walking out told us to just go, and as we were debating this, someone from the back screamed. He'd just been stabbed.

We left post-haste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I visited a bar attached to a brewery, somewhere near Volksrust in South Africa, years ago. I wasn't there to drink, though, I was there to help audit the company's accounts. The stuff they served there is called beer, but you would not recognise it as such - made from sorghum millet, it looks a bit like milk but smells like regurgitated yoghurt. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭chops1990

I've to say O' Riordans in Limerick. Back in the good ole underage days. Man that was a rough place. "Heads" all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

The Emerald in Dundalk. Numerous stabbings and a guy shot in the head with a shotgun last year. Apparantly owned by one of the scum involved in Omagh bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

fryup wrote: »
    made the mistake of going into Mother Scannells with my english cousin back in the 90s, when the regulars heard his accent the filthy looks could have burnt a hole in you

btw is it still open??

The widow scallan's?

On pearse street.

Dodgy as hell, think there was a shooting there years ago. I used to live across the road and we would pop in the odd time. Got some strange looks at the start but once you talked liverpool and dubs football with the barman, you were accepted.

Its now a eurospar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The Furry Bog, Whitechurch, Dublin 16.

Even the locals are scared! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Not a pub,more a nightclub really...it was this place in Soho in London that a few of us ended up in during my student days. I think it was a fiver in and after that everything was a pound.
    You could get vodka and a mixer, JD and coke or Carlsberg.
    That was it.
    The loos were an absolute disaster...none of the doors had any locks and I think they had the music extra loud so you wouldn't hear everyone's feet sticking to the floor. :pac:

At one stage I decided to go out for a calming cigarette...you had to queue to get out to the smoking area. Once out in it you were instructed to sit on a ledge and smoke whilst this huge woman in a massive fur coat watched and roared at anyone who wasn't sitting on the ledge. :confused:
    You had exactly 5 minutes and then fur coat woman blew a whistle and everyone got ushered back inside.
    It was like a concentration camp.

That place was absolutely mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

bronte wrote: »
    Not a pub,more a nightclub really...it was this place in Soho in London that a few of us ended up in during my student days. I think it was a fiver in and after that everything was a pound.
    You could get vodka and a mixer, JD and coke or Carlsberg.
    That was it.
    The loos were an absolute disaster...none of the doors had any locks and I think they had the music extra loud so you wouldn't hear everyone's feet sticking to the floor. :pac:

At one stage I decided to go out for a calming cigarette...you had to queue to get out to the smoking area. Once out in it you were instructed to sit on a ledge and smoke whilst this huge woman in a massive fur coat watched and roared at anyone who wasn't sitting on the ledge. :confused:
    You had exactly 5 minutes and then fur coat woman blew a whistle and everyone got ushered back inside.
    It was like a concentration camp.

That place was absolutely mental.

Are you sure you didn't go into a concentration camp?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

El Siglo wrote: »
    Are you sure you didn't go into a concentration camp?:pac:

It kinda felt like that after my sixth £1 beer! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The only one I can think of right now is Bourbon St on Amsterdam Ave in new york. Only for the jacks though. It went like this. Sink, Urinal, toilet. No cubical or doors or anything. It looked like a prison jacks in fairness. Anyone that's been will know what I'm on about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Pope Benedict

Courtneys Bar in Lucan. Dangerous kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

Le King wrote: »
    That didn't happen, did it?

Life fails when you try to impress strangers on the interwebs.

Swear to God, I knew him pretty well..... I told him I had no keys on me and he fecked off up the road.... came back a couple of hours later when things calmed down.... he didnt kill the guy or nothin, but the police were still called....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Anyone remember the name of that kip on the corner of Parnell St and Marlbourough St....down near Cathal Brugha st. It was used to go in there at the tender age of fifteen and get plastered on 4 pints.

Cat and Cage in drumcondra is a bit of a dive as are/were the Fingal House and the Fluther Good. I was in this dunghole as well in the main street of Moate back in the 90's. More Star Wars characters.

The Harp was kip back in the day. High Tide and Flowing Tide were a bit shabby but not too bad.

In London, the Globe in Islington was a KIP. Full of rough bastards, welfare cases and ex-squaddies. The jacks was just a hole in the floor where a toilet once sat. There was just human excrement all over the place. Charming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    made the mistake of going into Mother Scannells with my english cousin back in the 90s, when the regulars heard his accent the filthy looks could have burnt a hole in you

btw is it still open??
    The widow scallan's?

On pearse street.

Dodgy as hell, think there was a shooting there years ago. I used to live across the road and we would pop in the odd time. Got some strange looks at the start but once you talked liverpool and dubs football with the barman, you were accepted.

Its now a eurospar

widow scallans yes thats it, real provo bar with murals and the like, i suppose the players lounge has taken over that mantle

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

Il Trap wrote: »
    The Emerald in Dundalk. Numerous stabbings and a guy shot in the head with a shotgun last year. Apparantly owned by one of the scum involved in Omagh bomb.

Nothing like a bit of exaggerating!!

There's never been anyone stabbed in the Emerald and very rarely any trouble in it. There was a shooting after an irate punter was refused more drink he took it upon himself to go off and get a gun.

It is owned by Colm Murphy's wife.

If thats the worst pub you've ever been in you're doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Charlies in Cork City at half 6 in the morning... weirdest experience of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

TopBombing wrote: »
    Nothing like a bit of exaggerating!!

It is owned by Colm Murphy's wife.

If thats the worst pub you've ever been in you're doing well.

aha..

ahahaha..

ahahahahahahahaahaha..

bwaaahaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha

Have you seen your username?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

aha..

ahahaha..

ahahahahahahahaahaha..

bwaaahaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha

Have you seen your username?

Got to be honest here.