Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Charlies in Cork City at half 6 in the morning... weirdest experience of my life.

Snap! was there one morning after a party at 7am, and stayed until mid-day... there were people there that were dressed up for some old woman's birthday, they brought out a cake and everyone was singing happy birthday at 8am in the pub... then a basket of boiled eggs was put on the bar counter for all the punters to eat, and the place was packed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

The Brookwood Inn in Blanch,
    The Winning Post in Newbridge,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

Courtneys Bar in Lucan. Dangerous kip.

Really?? Do tell me why?? I drink there and have never felt any way in danger. I thoguth that place was pretty harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

TopBombing wrote: »
    Nothing like a bit of exaggerating!!

There's never been anyone stabbed in the Emerald and very rarely any trouble in it. There was a shooting after an irate punter was refused more drink he took it upon himself to go off and get a gun.

It is owned by Colm Murphy's wife.

If thats the worst pub you've ever been in you're doing well.
    Well if you say so...then two out of three isn't bad. Dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Il Trap

Anyone remember the name of that kip on the corner of Parnell St and Marlbourough St....down near Cathal Brugha st. It was used to go in there at the tender age of fifteen and get plastered on 4 pints.

Cat and Cage in drumcondra is a bit of a dive as are/were the Fingal House and the Fluther Good. I was in this dunghole as well in the main street of Moate back in the 90's. More Star Wars characters.

The Harp was kip back in the day. High Tide and Flowing Tide were a bit shabby but not too bad.

In London, the Globe in Islington was a KIP. Full of rough bastards, welfare cases and ex-squaddies. The jacks was just a hole in the floor where a toilet once sat. There was just human excrement all over the place. Charming.
    Have to take you up on this one mate. Cat and Cage is a grand spot. Never seen any trouble there. Staff and majority of punters there are dead on and is usually good craic - especially on sporting occasions. Couldn't fault it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

BOHSBOHS wrote: »
    the castle in finglas:eek:

no place has ever come close!

Still drink there the odd time. Have to bring you own drink these days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

A place called Copperface Jacks extremely dodgy women .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

+1 to Charlies in Cork but I've been in worse... try middle of nowhere, no beer signs outside, looks like someones living room from the 70's and the beer garden is the yard outside a milking parlour.. had a friends stag do there couple of years ago, around Christmas and the worst bit was we all got snogged by an 80 year old woman dressed in a santa costume:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fingerbob

El Siglo wrote: »
    It might have been mentioned but the Hatfield Inn on the Ormeau Road, Belfast is by and far one of the roughest pubs I've been. It's a Republican pub that's literally 10 yards from a loyalist pub. I remember one night there was the usual clientele with one fella out of his head rolling around in a wheel chair to music, then, Garth Brooks; "I got friends in low places" comes on, and the fella leaps out of the chair and starts dancing with the barman threatening to tell his mother that he's claiming insurance when he shouldn't, and thus he promptly returned to his seat... in his wheel chair!

I couldnt say the hatfield is that rough at all, I round the corner from it in term time and would frequent there. Sure during term time its just full of gaa jersey clad students. The rose and crown up the road isn't a loyalist pub btw. Maybe it used to be and they thought it ironic to keep the name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

the lantern in ballybane only a week opened and the gaurds actually walk around every 30 mins to keep control of the place.ha

• Advertisement

This pub/nightclub near the Tenderlion in San Francisco. Myself and my friend were the only white people in the place, dodge central. Some of the looks we got, downed our drinks and made a quick exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

the old chinaman and the napper tandy both gone now god bless em!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Jonniealan wrote: »
    The old Chinaman in town somewhere some say it never actually existed, that it was an urban myth. But no i was in it about 17 at the time. Does anyone remember the Dublin Punk band paranoid visions well the lead singer was in there at the time and he decided to throw a shoe at me.

The most bizzare pub/place i have ever been too. Almost put me off booze if im honest.

I remember that place, in it once or twice, on the corner of Golden Lane and Ship street, really weird layout if I remember rightly. How about the "Napper Tandy" around the corner just down from Burdocks, some say the film "The Accused" was filmed in there on a typical Saturday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Morrissey's, Dolphin's Barn.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BumbleB wrote: »
    A place called Copperface Jacks extremely doggy women .
    fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭GodlessInfidel

booboobear wrote: »
    I was in an early house in edinburgh before. Was scary. A lot of heroin addicts.

did Begbie follow ya into the jax an chiv ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

The furry bog in Whitechurch, Dublin

Fookin' hell what an absolute sh1thole. Myself and a friend walked in for a quick pint while we were waiting on a lift and were told to fook off because we wern't locals by some auld scagball in the corner

We looked up to the Barman expecting him to say don't mind him but he just pointed to the door and didn't say a word. We left sharpish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Horse box i would have went back and bet the goib****e

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Cheers nightclub in Limerick a few years ago....watching girls glass each other:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭darad

The Blacker in Coolock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Horse box i would have went back and bet the goib****e

Not if ya knew the place ya wouldn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

There's a real tip of a pub on Marlborough St, next door to Paddy Powers.

Can't think of the name but everytime I drive by, there are fights outside or someone lying on the ground.

Marlborough St is itself a dodgy place the past few years though.

Zombie junkies from Talbot St all the way up to the Boardwalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭HAMMERCURRENT

Rendez vous in the Quay in Dundalk! also known as the Barbecue, because of the amount of times it was set on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Joliegood wrote: »
    Oh yea. Heavily tattoed, muscle bulging, teeth missing customers.

And that's just the females:eek:

I used to go to loughinstown gym oppisite and a few times after went for beers in the lough inn i didnt find it that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

darad wrote: »
    The Blacker in Coolock

was,is and always will be a fcuking dump.....

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

been in a few dumps but the worst pub ever imo is that barcode kip. lads with fake tan and pumped on steroids, lasses that'll screw owt that wiggles a bag of snow in front of em. a pub full of posers and coke heads and slappers that if mi5 ever take a look inside im sure they'll press downing street to invade again, an absolute embaressment.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

Love2love wrote: »
    I went to this bar in Manchester and I should have known it was dodgy when I seen the 2 police vans parked outside. Had to go through 2 metal detectors and get frisked before you can get in. We were the only white people there and we got some looks of the locals.
    reminds me of a time years ago going into a pub oppisite balahm tube station as i was half way across the floor i copped i was the only white man in the place,and it was packed.anyway i gets to the bar ,called a pint and drank it ,called the second one only to be told by the barman that the honkeys drink next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Probably the Parnell Mooney on a friday or saturday night, but tbh i never felt uneasy in the place.
    Parnell Mooney has been closed for ages.unless theres a secret entrance into it by tunnel :-)
    yep, I remember it.. near Blackhall Place

nope maybe you're thinking of the voodoo lounge or the cobblestone ? ( they're current music venues near Blackhall Place )

the old chinaman was on the southside near golden lane right ?
    The Brazen Head in Glasgow. Good craic but dodgy as hell.
    the Brazen Head is in Dublin ... you're thinking of the Saracens Head in Glasgow ? ( the sarry head )

I'd imagine the deers head on parnell street is fairly dodgy.. theres an ad for "live cock racing" on the window :-)

Senna wrote: »
    Cant remember the name but it was between seven sisters and holloway in london, me and the guy i worked for went on a bit of a crawl and ended up in here about 2am (closing time was 11.30pm), there was a thick cloud of dope smoke everywhere, people were passed out on the floor, barman was completely fried and kept dropping glasses and bottles. We were there for about an hour having good craic when the fella i was with jumped out of his seat and literally pull me by the neck out the door. When we were out he point inside to two guys squaring up to each other with knifes, one of them was already cover in blood. We just ran, dodgy as hell.
    wasnt the sir george roby by any chance ?the first time i ever seen anyone skn up at the bar was there. used to be managed by a black guy called neil who would dj every so often,had this line about playing a track for the smallest ethnic minority in the world, black irish men.It could be be grand for months and then there would be mental for a few days.the bouncers once threw someone out banged his head.come closing time the couldnt wake him so they draged him across the rd and threw him in a skip.truly a rough kip a bit like the jockey in Shameless

• Advertisement

rotinaj wrote: »
    Dodgiest pub I was in was in Camden. It was a underground bar for Jamacians only. I went in there about twice a week for 3 months and in that time I witnessed,

1 actual shooting
    4 stabings
    at least 3 or 4 bar fights every night
    Police raids on a regular basis

Good crack there so kept going back. Me and my buddy were 2 of only 7white people that were alowed in there.
    Im sure the crack was good:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement