Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Zombie junkies from Talbot St all the way up to the Boardwalk.

Never heard of it but the name's a bit of a giveaway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    In Ireland, a place called The Ramble Inn at the back of a housing estate in Killester Dublin. Seriously dodgy spot, the locals reckoned we were cops and followed me into the jacks anytime I went. There was a fella shot dead outside it a week later.
    been in it a few times never notices anything dodgy about it maybe im just getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

the Brazen Head is in Dublin ... you're thinking of the Saracens Head in Glasgow ? ( the sarry head )

Theres definately one in Glasgow too... have no idea how dodgy it is, bt have definately heard it been mentioned before

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

getz wrote: »
    in the late 60s i worked as a live/in barman in the KPH in ladbrook grove london, now that was bad, we had killings, fights, knife fights, bottlings, and we had drug raids twice a week ,every morning i had to wash away the blood from out side the front of the pub,also because it was located next to portabello road,we always ended up with the pub trashed on carnaval days,one day one drunkish customer tried to jump the bar and take the money out of my till,lucky for me i hit him first so i carried him out of the pub unconscious, propped him up against the wall with half a pint of beer next to him,the police in passing picked him up as a drunk and took him away.eventually the local crime gangs got to the manager to pay protection money,part of the deal was that i had to go.i look back now and think sh ..t did i do that
    remember it well ,used the drink across the the rd from it in the mid 80s, was in it a few times and it was still a sh1thole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Theres definately one in Glasgow too... have no idea how dodgy it is, bt have definately heard it been mentioned before
    You're right there is one in Glasgow and it can be dodgy as ****.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Havent read the thread in full, but I doubt anyone will top
    'The Barclay Motel'
    Mount Isa
    QLD
    AUS

Dont believe All those Cliches about Rough Aussie Bars, come to the Barclay, Man I've seen some weird **** going on there.

Explained to the Seccy after the first time she booked us in that it was a Rather dangerous place to be an Educated Well Spoken WhiteFella, she takes great pleasure in bookin us in there whenever we go up that way:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Ben Hadad

Dodgyest bar I have ever been to was in Australia.

Walked into this place and right behind the bar was a huge swaztika flag, I turned to my companion and said jeez look at that huge swaztika, randomn eh. We then proceeded to notice the clientele who were mainly huge tattoes wearing biker looking types.

Turns out it was a Nomads (this hells angels type of biker gang) pub and it was their annual party or some such. Unfortunately for us due to various stimulants we didn't actually cop this until much later on and not before we had insulted the head of the gang, an old dude by the name of Ron. He got a few of his crew to wake up this kiwi guy who was asleep in the car park whilst our table was enveloped with hard hitting bikers. The kiwi I might add was a raving homosexual.

As quickly became evident this guy was woken up to ass rape us as punishment. To cut an extordinary long story short, it turns out the kiwi guy was a huge fan of Fr. Ted who we somehow got talking about. After playing our last card, pure life saving charm, he eded up buying us drinks, and we, sometime later, when we knew it was safe to do so, made our excuses and left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

madisson in rathmines, closed now. thank god

the bridge house in dolphins barn is a dive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

You're right there is one in Glasgow and it can be dodgy as ****.

I was on a stag in Glasgow three years ago. We went to some disco bar. I have never seen so many ugly women in my life. There were two of them that came up and tried to chat us up. They looked like The Fat Slags come to life....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

A pub in leitrim couldn't find the door so i hopped in the window and nobody batted an eyelid ,went up to the bar and a guy with a big unibrow was staring at me .Sat down and the live band came in which was one guy with a casio keyboard even smaller than a microkorg dressed in cowboy boots and a hat and he proceeded to sing to a demo tune which he moved one key up fo each song ,this guy made crystal swing sound good. I had to go to the mens which which was out the door turn left folo wthe arrow nailed to a tree go another 50 meters down a field and urinate into a big lump of concrete with a drain.You really had to be there.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

Jonniealan wrote: »
    The old Chinaman in town somewhere some say it never actually existed, that it was an urban myth. But no i was in it about 17 at the time. Does anyone remember the Dublin Punk band paranoid visions well the lead singer was in there at the time and he decided to throw a shoe at me.

The most bizzare pub/place i have ever been too. Almost put me off booze if im honest.

Is that the old chinaman on ship st in dublin - EPIC! :D quite simply the best and worst boozer ever

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

Don't remember the name of the pub, but it was a complete hole in Coventry, I was 17 and with my uncle, the pub was full of skinheads, one of which asked me why I looked at his girlfriend:eek:

Think Romper Stomper.

Probably wasn't anything like Romper Stomper, Coventry is known for anti-racist skinheads (its where the Specials are from.) Most skinheads arn't racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

PinkTulips wrote: »
    There was a morning bar in Cork... i forget the name of it but it was a seriously nasty place to find yourself off yer tits on a tuesday morning being leered at by aul drunks who've been on the beer since 1962 without a day off since. Worst thing was the mirrors in the toilets.... something about them always emphasised how utterly ****ed you looked

Wasnt Charlies by the City Hall was it?Was my local for a few years,mental **** goes on there, ****in mental....

They told me they were tourists......but they were hookers. Be warned!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ben Hadad wrote: »
    Dodgyest bar I have ever been to was in Australia.

Walked into this place and right behind the bar was a huge swaztika flag, I turned to my companion and said jeez look at that huge swaztika, randomn eh. We then proceeded to notice the clientele who were mainly huge tattoes wearing biker looking types.

Turns out it was a Nomads (this hells angels type of biker gang) pub and it was their annual party or some such. Unfortunately for us due to various stimulants we didn't actually cop this until much later on and not before we had insulted the head of the gang, an old dude by the name of Ron. He got a few of his crew to wake up this kiwi guy who was asleep in the car park whilst our table was enveloped with hard hitting bikers. The kiwi I might add was a raving homosexual.

As quickly became evident this guy was woken up to ass rape us as punishment. To cut an extordinary long story short, it turns out the kiwi guy was a huge fan of Fr. Ted who we somehow got talking about. After playing our last card, pure life saving charm, he eded up buying us drinks, and we, sometime later, when we knew it was safe to do so, made our excuses and left.

S'dat the one in Albion -Brisbane??????

If so ye are Very feckin Lucky to get out of there unharmed, I'd be a fellow traveller to a lot of the things those guys are into, but theres still no feckin way I'd venture into the Lions Den

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

S'dat the one in Albion -Brisbane??????

If so ye are Very feckin Lucky to get out of there unharmed, I'd be a fellow traveller to a lot of the things those guys are into, but theres still no feckin way I'd venture into the Lions Den

Sorry to go off topic but where'd you come up with such an epic username?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Without a shadow of a doubt O'Reilly's aka The Chancery Inn on Inns Quay at 7 on a saturday morning, never again. The brewery bar around the back of Guinnesses is a close 2nd with The Old Chinaman (gone) on Golden Lane near St. Patricks Park comes in at 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Anyone remember Friday /Saturday Nights in The National ,Kilburn.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The only one i felt geniuinely uncomfortable in was some kip in the suburbs of Prague years back, it was basically a big totaly undecorated/painted concrete pit (like a giant empty swimming pool) surrounded by balconies and only sold 1 drink - desperado, which is beer with a shot of tequila mixed in. Bouncers walked around with what looked like stun guns in holsters and you had to go through metal detectors like in the airport to get in. Can't remeber the name now, the smell yes, the name no!
    After the 7th or 8th desperado i relaxed right into it though! And fact is I didn't see an ounce of trouble from midnight till we left about 7am or so.

Edit - Actually - the blue banana, clondalkin, jesus that place was mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

The Ivory Coast in Ballbriggan

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

the Brazen Head is in Dublin ... you're thinking of the Saracens Head in Glasgow ? ( the sarry head )

There's a Brazen Head pub in Glasgow as well, in the Gorbals area.

The whole area is pretty rough, and the pub is no different. Still had some great nights in it though!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

The Oval on Abbey St.

The owner offered me and my friend a drink on the house each if we "leaned" over the bar and "licked" the bud ice tap :eek:

Needless to say she did it...

Not alone is that totally perverted but how disgusting is that for people ordering bud ice!

Later on that night he casually walked by our table n said to my friend "meet me outside" while he ran outside before giving her time to respond. She then gopes to me "wtf????" and i was like don't do it but the idiot did...twenty mins passed, i was on my own, the bar was left unoccupied so people could've just gone behind the bar and poored themselves a drink/stolen from the till, 20 mins later both of them stroll in. She said they went for a drink down the road.

He should be shut down, makes me furious :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

The Furry Bog in Whitechurch, Dublin. A girl I know's mother got beaten up in the jacks there, one time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    The Oval on Abbey St.

The owner offered me and my friend a drink on the house each if we "leaned" over the bar and "licked" the bud ice tap :eek:

Needless to say she did it...

Not alone is that totally perverted but how disgusting is that for people ordering bud ice!

Later on that night he casually walked by our table n said to my friend "meet me outside" while he ran outside before giving her time to respond. She then gopes to me "wtf????" and i was like don't do it but the idiot did...twenty mins passed, i was on my own, the bar was left unoccupied so people could've just gone behind the bar and poored themselves a drink/stolen from the till, 20 mins later both of them stroll in. She said they went for a drink down the road.

Yeah, I heard the irish Independent employees drink there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

That old garda club on harcourt street.. sends shivers down my spine, think it was called the blue oyster bar..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdbt-sx5MDc

Being honest...

the cappagh house, finglas..

felons club, falls road, belfast... once only allowed access to former IRA prisoners and friends

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Concorde inn,edenmore
    players lounge,fairview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Cheeky_gal wrote: »

Oh matron .. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

TopBombing wrote: »
    There's a Brazen Head pub in Glasgow as well, in the Gorbals area.

The whole area is pretty rough, and the pub is no different. Still had some great nights in it though!!

my apologies squire.

I was never brought there.. though I think I drove by that place you were talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

punchdrunk wrote: »
    Concorde inn,edenmore
    players lounge,fairview

if you think the concorde is rough you really havent been in a rough pub.

forgot to mention the lough inn in loughlinstown, chasers in ballyfermot, the farmhouse in monkstown and i cant believe finches in clondalkin hasnt been mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

There should be a poll now to see which one is the roughest.

Or a fight.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

There should be a poll now to see which one is the roughest.

Or a fight.....

BATTLE TO THE DEATH!

Advertisement