Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

if you think the concorde is rough you really havent been in a rough pub.

forgot to mention the lough inn in loughlinstown, chasers in ballyfermot, the farmhouse in monkstown and i cant believe finches in clondalkin hasnt been mentioned

well in fairness I haven't been in the Concorde in about fifteen years,maybe it's done up and a bit nicer now?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

The shanty in mulhudart, jesus that place had a niteclub too :eek: , remember this scumbags son ran outside to the carpark and just robbed a van :O , drove on down the street, couldnt have been older than 13.

That pub in kinsealy.Dump.Guy got shot outside it.

The Cabra House. Oul fella's smokin weed at the front door of it at 1 in the day. Place just looked a dump from the outside, dont think theres windows.
    iam from cabra its is more commonly known as the oasis ask any taxi driver bring us to the oasis.they say it is a kip

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Chilkoot Charlies in Anchorage AK. Had to go through metal detectors before being allowed entry, why? because for the previous 2 years it held the title of having the most gun-related crimes in any American bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Rendez vous in the Quay in Dundalk! also known as the Barbecue, because of the amount of times it was set on fire.

used to open at 7am didnt it? because it had a harbour licence or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Can't believe there are soft Southerners on here claiming Belfast bars like the Hatfield and Auntie Annies (both student haunts) are the roughest places they've been.
    :pac:
    Lads, if that's what passes for rough in your world, there is a whole other side of boozing Belfast that would make you sh!t your knickers.
    I recall being dragged with workmates to the old UDA bar on the Newtownards Road in East Belfast before the organisation was proscribed. People openly cleaning handguns at the bar and mouthing about killing effing fenians. Now, THAT was a scary place to have a pint.
    There's a bar in Ardoyne where the windows used to regularly come in on top of you as Loyalists raked it with automatic machine-gun fire on drive-bys. The barmen would grab shotguns and hurdle the bar to run out after them while everyone else grabbed their drinks and ducked under tables. We're talking once a month at least here.
    Anywhere in the city centre, especially anywhere rammed full of Queens students, is absolutely Disneyland compared to some of the suburban boozers in Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LD

I was on the wren one year and did a veritable tour of pubs that require bouncers in the middle of the day.

The worst (with no bouncers actually) was some kip on North Strand Road, there were a few lads inside whose faces were purple from having recently had the **** knocked out of them, everyone seemed a bit more buzzed than from just booze and there were two lads hanging around outside who looked like Adam and Paul. Y'know, junkie lads who knew everyone in the pub who went out for a smoke well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

anyone ever been to the railway bar in portarlington?

i saw a keg get leveled over the head of a local garda who was in there drinking. rough as f'uck

Was in a working mans club in lancashire , england about 20 years ago, there was a woman and man sitting in corner about ten feet from our group. The woman got down on the ground and proceeded to give him a BJ. In the pub, on front of everyone. It was afternoon at the time. Charming. Funny thing was, I think our group were the only ones shocked by it, everyone else just carried on suppin their pints, playing darts etc. Surreal. The couple would have been in their fifties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

dylano_k wrote: »
    Parnell Mooney, hands down !!! We all got started on by coked up knackers in there for no reason at all...biggest hole in dublin

I was just about to add that one.. Was there one night before a gig in the ambassador.. It was raing so we dove in for a pint.. The look we got as we walked in.. but we just kept walking for the bar.. We were watching this famioly in the corner.. parents were fooking hammered, the grandma not much better and the kids running around the place.. the dad fell asleep on his stool and tumbled off it.. no one batted an eye lid.. he was still on the ground when we left!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

http://www.pleasurerooms.net/

Pleasure rooms liverpool, its an after hours..

Got searched for weapons on the way in was full of scum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

A new pub has opened in recent months on Thomas St (Dublin) called the Hilltop.

Saw a young lad scrapping 2 blokes in their 50's outside it last night. The young fella was with his mother and younger sister and his mother kindly held the leash of his dog while he went flaking into the 2 lads. Handbags stuff in the end with more shouting and screaming than punches thrown. But I looked in the door of the pub as I walking by and it was not a pretty sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

There's a bar in Ardoyne where the windows used to regularly come in on top of you as Loyalists raked it with automatic machine-gun fire on drive-bys. The barmen would grab shotguns and hurdle the bar to run out after them while everyone else grabbed their drinks and ducked under tables. We're talking once a month at least here.

They evidently have a wierd sense of priority in Ardoyne ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

Ha, this is a great thread!

I drank in that O Riorda's place in Limerick all day for the Munster final in 97 I think it was, seemed grand to me. Although the upstairs toilet was quite amusing for those who have been there. A crapper right beside a massive window with no curtain, people could see straight in haha.

As for the roughest I've even been in, hands down the old Banna nightclub in Co. Kerry. This was one of those old crap rural nightclubs where all the surrounding villages came to do battle with each other. The only time they stopped tearing lumps out of each other was in the Summer when the Cork crowd came down on holidays and the locals united and turned on them instead. It was like Braveheart on a dancefloor....and that was just the women! :)

I remember my very first entrance to the place, it was my 14th birthday, and I wasn't in the door 30 seconds when the a massive fight kicked off and the scrum came straight for me-all I could do was just swing my fists at whatever moved and try not to get bottled. All the furniture was bolted to the floor, and the bouncers didn't care what happened as long as it was outside the main door. The place has seen numerous stabbings, I remember seeing a fella getting his hand all but cut off there one night, the blood was squirting onto the roof and dripping down onto the punters below. Think there was a few deaths there in the 70's too, people getting beaten or bleeding to death.

They did the place up a few years ago and it's much more respectable now, no fighting or clan warfare. Thank fook.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

The Fury Bog in Whitechurch.
    Or the one near it the IRA own...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭raydar

there used to be a pub on McCurtain Street in Cork back in 1995, called the 'Screaming Monkey'.. it appeared in an RTE investigative program later in 1996

Do you no where i can catch that RTE program? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Can't believe there are soft Southerners on here claiming Belfast bars like the Hatfield and Auntie Annies (both student haunts) are the roughest places they've been.
    :pac:
    Lads, if that's what passes for rough in your world, there is a whole other side of boozing Belfast that would make you sh!t your knickers.
    I recall being dragged with workmates to the old UDA bar on the Newtownards Road in East Belfast before the organisation was proscribed. People openly cleaning handguns at the bar and mouthing about killing effing fenians. Now, THAT was a scary place to have a pint.
    Anywhere in the city centre, especially anywhere rammed full of Queens students, is absolutely Disneyland compared to some of the suburban boozers in Belfast.

I think the guy mentioning auntie annies was mixing it up with somewhere else cause he said it was in east belfast. I was there in 2004 and it was mainly students/rockers drinking there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Pub out by the Merlin Stores in Galway or the old one out in Westside

Also went to a dirty sh!thole right by where Vicar Street is in Dublin

And a rough one near Thormond Park in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Frawleys, Mary Street Limerick. Think it has closed a few years ago.
    It wasnt a really dodgy spot, spent a lot of time there, but there were some seriously dodgy characters around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

There was a pub in Leeds many years ago called The Market Tavern,or as it was known locally,"The Madhouse."

It was a kind of rites of passage thing, to have a pint in there when you first started drinking.

I went in there just the once,and it didn't let me down.We'd just ordered our drinks,and were stood at one end the bar,at the other end,this oul dipso was sat on his own,giving out about anything and everything,when this oul one who was sat down at a table near him,stood up,picked up a barstool,threw at it his head,knocked him clean off his stool,told him to shut the f*ck up,then sat back down as nothing had happened.

It was funny as f*ck,like something from a cartoon,rough as as bears arse mind !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

The dodgiest pub I've ever been to was Dodgey O'Dodgerson's Old Timey Dodge Inn on Dodgerton Street, Dodgeville, it was extremely dodgey! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Can't really say I ever drank in a dodgy pub that was dangerous, or that I felt threatened in. The Widow Scallan's had an atmosphere but that was after the bomb. There was a place in Manchester that had a pound a pint deal in the middle of the afternoon, I'd say you'd have found trouble there if you hung around long enough.

I've drank in some ****-holes mind, two on Barrack St. in Cork immediately spring to mind along with another one from home where the only drink safe to consume is whiskey due it it's innate antiseptic properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Went to Edinburgh and had to fly back from Glasgow. With a few hours to spare I went into a pub across from the Bus Station. What a hole and only for the fact everyone turned around to see who was coming in I would have legged it. There were lots of toothless ladies sitting on the seats and rough looking auld lads at the bar. Thankfully I can put on a decent Scottish accent as the Rangers flags and Union Jacks everywhere gave me a clue not to speak with an Irish accent. A quick JD and Coke later I was out the door like a hot snot to the sounds of one of the fellas at the bar shouting to his mate "Arrgghh, Dexie, will yiz hoot to da khazi and noot be sittin there with a troosers full of pish".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

The Garryowen in Birmingham asked for a pint and they said they only sell glasses i asked why and they said they done less damage :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

Bottom of the Hill in Finglas, saw a lad get stapped once, also seen a bloke walk in with a sawn-off then he turned around and walked out coz his target wasn't there. Another time saw a group of traveller hopping the ****e outta each other with the legs of the tables and chairs that they'd smashed.
    Barmen would offer to sell ya hash and yokes too,
    mad kip and I only used to go there to play their darts team once a month

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

fippy wrote: »
    Cant believe "The Jobstown house" in tallaght hasn't been mentioned.

:eek:
    That's because nobody who's gone in has come out again to post about it.
    dylano_k wrote: »
    Parnell Mooney, hands down !!! We all got started on by coked up knackers in there for no reason at all...biggest hole in dublin
    Jaysus, forgot about that place. Went to a reggae night there years back. Dodgy as hell. Drugs everywhere.

Only one that sticks out for me is the Tap on North King Street. Complete ****hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

seamus wrote: »
    Jaysus, forgot about that place. Went to a reggae night there years back. Dodgy as hell. Drugs everywhere.

Firehouse Skank on a Tuesday or Wednesday night? Some good sounds there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭stevveyg

"the hatchet" in ennistymon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Black joes shebeen on derby rd southampton,pubs had to close in the afternoon then,joe used to put on a big pot of goat stew and sell cans in his sitting room,would stab any black fella who would continuously hassle his mainly irish customers,called it "takin care of buisness",a begbie type scot pushed me into the bath one night and was just about to finish me of with a gas cylinder over his head but for joe happily in my case coming in for a lash,all to a background of ska and the wolf tones.Poor joes buisness went under after foolishly giving a front page interview to the news of the world bragging that he was earning more than maggie thatcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

There's a pub on Talbot Street in Dublin (yeah, I know -- my first mistake right there!) that when I walked into had saw-dust on the floor, people walking around in their bare feet and they all turned around to stare (Deliverance style) at me and my then boyfriend, until we backed slowly out the door.

Coming in a close second is Su Ada, a restaurant/pub on a man-made island in Istanbul where me and my now boyfriend appeared to interrupt some mafia dealings, as it was only us and them (no non-suited, shady people) on the whole thing and no way off. Fun times!

Advertisement