Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rebel_rebel

Some dodgy spots in Leith Walk in Edinburgh,the end nearer Leith away from city centre. A lot of early houses which would be absolutey jammers at 8 o clock in the morning while poor muggins was off to work! Lived there for a summer,never had any trouble but only managed to venture into one of pubs,every1 turned there heads when we entered,just felt very uncomfortable in there the whole time,think the pub is mentioned in Trainspotting book,used to be where the train station was think it was called the central or something.

Pubs in the area were full of alcos,junkies down and outs and offered cheap drink pints could be £1/£1.50,would hear the odd fight after hours but used to walk home from pubs in the city centre and never had any trouble so was not the worst area

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Dodgy pubs = safe pubs if you behave yourself. Ask your blessed little bottoms if you ever got a bad pint in a pub where the regulars may or may not be able to kill the barman then and there (with a distinct lack of witnesses). Just remember the glasses are prescription, your hearing aid wasn't working, or you were in the loo when it happened. The lady drinks on my tab for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Millicent wrote: »
    There's a pub on Talbot Street in Dublin (yeah, I know -- my first mistake right there!) that when I walked into had saw-dust on the floor, people walking around in their bare feet and they all turned around to stare (Deliverance style) at me and my then boyfriend, until we backed slowly out the door.

Coming in a close second is Su Ada, a restaurant/pub on a man-made island in Istanbul where me and my now boyfriend appeared to interrupt some mafia dealings, as it was only us and them (no non-suited, shady people) on the whole thing and no way off. Fun times!

whats wrong with talbot street? ive drank in every pub there and never saw anyone in their bare feet or saw dust on the floor. did the cow jump over the moon when you walked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

gsp119 wrote: »
    Jobstown House and Killanarden Inn - Those 2 are scary mutant banjo plucking kips -

Whatever about the jobstown inn, I found after having a couple of pints in the killy that it had a rather bad name for no reason, the bar men in there will kick you out in a second for infractions. and they do a rather nice burger... the dodgyness there is getting out of cushlawn with your wallet intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

RichieC wrote: »
    Whatever about the jobstown inn, I found after having a couple of pints in the killy that it had a rather bad name for no reason, the bar men in there will kick you out in a second for infractions. and they do a rather nice burger... the dodgyness there is getting out of cushlawn with your wallet intact.

I used to drink in those pubs and you're right about the killinarden ,they'll kick the bollocks out of you if theres any messing ,they've seen it all over the years.They will also give you take out beer fairly late if you know what I mean.Never liked the Jobstown inn ,full of mad lunatics that stare at you after a few pints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The worlds end in kk.....what a kip
    Also know as the end of the world. i remember I came back from planet love on a come down and ended up drinking in there a few years ago. My God what was I thinking:( All the usual croud there.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭irishlad_85

Life o' Reilly used to be there on the corner where Marlborough St car park is. used ot show bare knuckle knacker boxing on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The worlds end in kk.....what a kip

It's a quality establishment! shame on you:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

Finglas Deputy Mayors, Was meeting a mate for a few pints. Never drank in finglas before. Had been taking the piss about stab vest prior to meeting him.
    Make a long story short were drinking minding our own business next minute BIG commotion near the bar. i headed over to see what was going down. There is what i THOUGHT was a fake hand on the ground.... Quickly realized from the expression on the victims face he had his HAND CUT CLEAN OFF.......:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Dodgy pubs = safe pubs if you behave yourself. Ask your blessed little bottoms if you ever got a bad pint in a pub where the regulars may or may not be able to kill the barman then and there (with a distinct lack of witnesses). Just remember the glasses are prescription, your hearing aid wasn't working, or you were in the loo when it happened. The lady drinks on my tab for nothing.

Hey man how can I be as gangsta as you?

• Advertisement

Hey man how can I be as gangsta as you?
    Emigrate to Kiev and pull up a barstool.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

A local in my town, lovely interior and such but they were selling cans of Dutch gold behind the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

http://www.pleasurerooms.net/

Pleasure rooms liverpool, its an after hours..

Got searched for weapons on the way in was full of scum

been in that place after we got lost in liverpool our first time over there, somefella trying to score drugs off me in the queue in, the search on the way in was unexpected. ordered 5 vodkas and 3 red bull , i got handed 5 waters and 3 redbull, queried the barmaid and she says we dont serve alcohol in here.me and my mates then clicked what a dodgy spot it was after we looked over the balcony on the dancefloor. full of people off the heads on drugs, we left ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Used to go to a night-club in Athboy as a teen, apparently some lad brought a shotgun to the front door after being refused, have seen countless fights, a lad I knew was glassed, sex and blowjobs down piss stained alleys, typical fare really for the country.

Bucks ha. Its a mild place. The usual rivalries with surrounding towns at the junior discos when we were young uns. What would ya expect from a nightclub full of scum with caps sticking up at a 45 degree angle.

Never heard of the shotgun incident I'd say that was major exaggeration

Bucks ha. Its a mild place. The usual rivalries with surrounding towns at the junior discos when we were young uns. What would ya expect from a nightclub full of scum with caps sticking up at a 45 degree angle.

Never heard of the shotgun incident I'd say that was major exaggeration

i was in that nightclub in september when i was in the darnley, i found the staff more trouble than the regulars tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Jonniealan wrote: »
    The old Chinaman in town somewhere some say it never actually existed, that it was an urban myth. But no i was in it about 17 at the time. Does anyone remember the Dublin Punk band paranoid visions well the lead singer was in there at the time and he decided to throw a shoe at me.

The most bizzare pub/place i have ever been too. Almost put me off booze if im honest.

The best pub ever. The down stairs had a pallet for a stage. Lost of good skin head and punk bands played there. Cans of smithwicks there were Price 1.22 old money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

whats wrong with talbot street? ive drank in every pub there and never saw anyone in their bare feet or saw dust on the floor. did the cow jump over the moon when you walked out

You can choose not to believe me if you want, but it's no word of a lie. I lived for a year and a half on Amiens Street so it's not about being snotty. It was a pub on a corner toward the Amiens Street side, across from the hotel.

The Chinaman was down the back of Dublin Castle - got levelled inside a week (lack of license was the last I heard). Once saw a guy walk in there with a dog the size of a donkey. The bloke got turned away and they let the dog in. Fine pub...I'm getting all misty eyes now.

Edity thing: The Stork on Cork Street _ Maternity Hospital debates over who was the dad / mum ?

You can choose not to believe me if you want, but it's no word of a lie. I lived for a year and a half on Amiens Street so it's not about being snotty. It was a pub on a corner toward the Amiens Street side, across from the hotel.

either molloys or graingers, must have been shooting a movie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Sounds like Molloys. The Ripley Court Hotel is across the road. Never in that place but the barstaff have a reputation for being rude and spannery.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

The Blue Lion on Parnell street was dog rough. I lived around the corner and the crew in there was a mountjoy who's who.

I remember a great story about a couple of Nigerians who decided to set up a protection racket when they first arrived in the area. The clowns go in and demand the loot, the barman tells them to come back in a half hour when the manager is back. The fools arrive back in half an hour and the door is locked behind them. 20 local hards with bats beat them blue and dump them on the footpath outside.

Always enjoyed that story even if it is probably a urban myth.

Pighead wrote: »
    Sounds like Molloys. The Ripley Court Hotel is across the road. Never in that place but the barstaff have a reputation for being rude and spannery.

Pighead, once again you deliver. Thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

Kippure wrote: »
    The best pub ever. The down stairs had a pallet for a stage. Lost of good skin head and punk bands played there. Cans of smithwicks there were Price 1.22 old money.

Paranoid visions...Decko I think yer mans name is.....how they got to support Steve Ig recently i'll never know.They were on the Podge and Rodge show too.Embarrasing band.

either molloys or graingers, must have been shooting a movie

What?!:confused: It's a few years back so maybe they've cleaned up the place but I swear to God, it was exactly as I described. No film crew. Why is it hard to believe?

Rawhead wrote: »
    The Blue Lion on Parnell street was dog rough. I lived around the corner and the crew in there was a mountjoy who's who.

I remember a great story about a couple of Nigerians who decided to set up a protection racket when they first arrived in the area. The clowns go in and demand the loot, the barman tells them to come back in a half hour when the manager is back. The fools arrive back in half an hour and the door is locked behind them. 20 local hards with bats beat them blue and dump them on the footpath outside.

the metro on the same street was notorious as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Rawhead wrote: »

That wasn't a myth ,I was in that pub a few years back having a pint with my father in law it scared the sh!t out of me ,he even relayed the story himself.He drinks in there the odd time ,when I meet him in town I refuse to drink in that place and he just laughs at me

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭damienmcd

Dodgyest ever was one just up the road from Villa Park in Birmingham. I can't remember the name of it but the drinks were served from behind a barred counter and there was a shotgun visible behind the bar.

Needless to say, when I was 16 and innocent this place scared the bejaysus out of me!

That wasn't a myth ,I was in that pub a few years back having a pint with my father in law it scared the sh!t out of me ,he even relayed the story himself.He drinks in there the odd time ,when I meet him in town I refuse to drink in that place and he just laughs at me

Said pub is/was owned by a monastic man who does not like being robbed. Yes, it did very hilariously happen. the two idiots in question were left in traction to reflect upon their lack of research.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Heard a few stories about the original Fibbers from a few years back - friend of mine seen some girl in the jacks openly shaving her minge:eek::p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What?!:confused: It's a few years back so maybe they've cleaned up the place but I swear to God, it was exactly as I described. No film crew. Why is it hard to believe?

Graingers is on the corner of talbot st and amiens st and it wouldn't be too bad more a kip than dodgy.Molloys is fine the bar will have a few local pissheads and the lounge is full of cops and civil servants.Woudl it have been Mother Kelly's on the next corner after Molloy's?

Advertisement