Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Millicent wrote: »
    Pighead, once again you deliver. Thank you. :)
    No probs Millicent. If you ever have any more Talbot Street pub related questions you know where Pighead is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I'm sort of surprised nobody has mentioned the lizard or the liquid up to now.....??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,531 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

foxerv1 wrote: »
    I'm sort of surprised nobody has mentioned the lizard or the liquid up to now.....??

is that the place around meath st.? it's called the Bay or something like that now was in it a few months back,

yabadabado wrote: »
    is that the place around meath st.?

The very same. Used to work in one, and wouldn't have gone in to the other then for any amount of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

The very same. Used to work in one, and wouldn't have gone in to the other then for any amount of money.

Some bloke was executed in there a few years back?? The green Lizard??

• Advertisement

Some bloke was executed in there a few years back?? The green Lizard??

Ya that was the lizard. Other people might differ but in my opinion they were both the most rough-as-f**k pubs i have ever been in or near.

I was in it a few months back and it didn't seem too bad ,there was another pub up the street, can't think of it's name but it was brutal every sort of scumbag was in it.

I was in it a few months back and it didn't seem too bad ,there was another pub up the street, can't think of it's name but it was brutal every sort of scumbag was in it.

Which one were ya in? AFAIK they are both closed? (or were the last i heard)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Wolfe Tone Inn on Wexford St. worked their for a night as a student. the night when the Wolfe Tones themselves were playing. I still get flashbacks. think i left without getting paid for the night. (might have been called the Wexford inn, or that pub might have been near by, not sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Wolfe Tone Inn on Wexford St. worked their for a night as a student. the night when the Wolfe Tones themselves were playing. I still get flashbacks. think i left without getting paid for the night. (might have been called the Wexford inn, or that pub might have been near by, not sure)

May I inquire as to why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

some_dose wrote: »
    May I inquire as to why?
    em, the em, music, was em, too loud.

:eek:

Which one were ya in? AFAIK they are both closed? (or were the last i heard)

the pub that was the lizard and i reckon its about 6 months ago.the other pub was on Thomas st.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

i was in that nightclub in september when i was in the darnley, i found the staff more trouble than the regulars tbh

Yeah it'd be local youngsters working there now. It used to be a very popular place when it opened first, thats about 1994/5. It was even half decent about 10 years ago. Now its the same faces standing in the same places staring at each other, and maybe the odd slap outside the chinese afterwards.

I'd go there about twice a year now, but not to the nightclub.

the pub that was the lizard and i reckon its about 6 months ago.the other pub was on Thomas st.

To be honest i wasn't very good at the names of the streets. I just remember working in a pub owned by the same family on Ardee st. and being asked to work in the other a few times, stopping into the lamplighter for a few sociable ones on the way down and on the auld break :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The Donaghmede Inn (Dusty Bin)

The Harp on O'Connell Street

John Mulletts off Talbot Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

The Green Lizard was on Francis street, not sure if there is appartments on the site now or a pub. There is one called the Iveagh beside the market, closed though.
    The pub called the Bayno is where the Silken Thomas used to be, bit of a kip but keeps the ****ers out of the other bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

BickNarry wrote: »
    Paranoid visions...Decko I think yer mans name is.....how they got to support Steve Ig recently i'll never know.They were on the Podge and Rodge show too.Embarrasing band.

Decko from my book

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebaz/5090167864/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Steering Wheel in Limerick

Was doing a course in the "old Krups factory" in Roxboro and was often sent over for a bag of ice or went with some locals from St Mary's Park in the evenings
    Dodgy as hell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

the crusader, (southampton)

its gone now, but once went in there waiting for some mates after a footy match and the place was empty barr a table of 4 proper skin heads... bomber jackets and bovver boots..

scary

Madigans in kilbarrack, 4/5 tvs all showing differnt soaps mainly, and the radio blarring as well.. plus the place has no windows

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

from the many pubs i have drank in, got drunk in, photographed in , got barred from , my top 3

Noctors, Sheriff street,

Olympic, Limerick

The Jetfoil, Dublin quays (long gone - anything went )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

either molloys or graingers, must have been shooting a movie

Recognised it from 'Educating Rita' but the inside scene was filmed in Dobbins!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

BickNarry wrote: »
    Paranoid visions...Decko I think yer mans name is.....how they got to support Steve Ig recently i'll never know.They were on the Podge and Rodge show too.Embarrasing band.

They've been going 30 years and are still playing gigs and releasing records.
    Was at one of thier gigs a few weeks back and they have a loyal fanbase of "older" punks including guys in thier 50's.

Yer man Deko is not to be messed with..he may be older than time itself but he can still fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Jonniealan wrote: »
    The old Chinaman in town somewhere some say it never actually existed, that it was an urban myth.

118thechinaman.jpg

The Chinaman, Golden Lane (1976)

Pictorial proof! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

The Bermingham pub after a 6N match in croker a couple of years back. Pikie fight broke out....bar stools thrown, pub destroyed, people hiding out in the toilets until it died down. Eventually it spilled outside and we could escape. The only mode of transport available to get out of there was the fcuking aircoach. Cue impromptu drunken bus ride to the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

thebaz wrote: »

Looks like he's thrown his far share of shoes alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The Canal Bar, kind of behind the Guinness brewry and across from a halting site has to be about the worst I've been in in Ireland, got brought there a few times by a guy who I used to work with who was from Oliver Bond flats and had served 8 years for armed robbery. I think he was trying to freak out the culchie.
    "Skin up on the bar no problems but dont do lines....because the barman will mooch over and harass you for some" he said the minute I walked in. Saw a guy walk in there with a screwdriver, straight over to the pool table and bust the coinbox off it, take the money and walk back out. No one really batted an eyelid. My workmate just shrugged and said it happened often enough and there was no point gettin in the way of a strung out junkie witha screwdriver. He brought me to the Limelight aswell and tbh that place was like Krystle compared to the Canal.

When I lived in The Hague i was chatting up a Dutch/irish girl one night and she said "Hej you want to come to a cool place? " so I said ya and she brought me to a bar called Bebe, an illegal squat bar full of dutch skinheads listening to gabber and hardcore punk. As soon as i walked in the door i thought uh-oh, Everyone was just staring me out of it. Anyway, when the girl went to the toilet this monster skin sat down beside me and told me she was his ex and things were a bit complicated. I wasnt long telling him there was nothing happening and I was only there as a friend of hers. No problems he says and pats me on the back and I nearly shat myself in the process.

Anyway, a few minutes later when she came back she had words with the big lad and realised I was having no more to do with her so she sits beside some other guy giving him the "come on" and within seconds the ex leapt the table with an ashtray and started smashing the head of the new chap. then half a dozen from each side joined in and the place decended into pure mayhem. I don't know how but I managed to stay kind of hidden in the corner until it died down.

I have never, ever, left a place as fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

The Fridge in Brixton London, there was a guy shot outside:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

The LA in Maynooth, gone but not forgotten.

Not dodgy in a dangerous sense, but just ya, dodgy on numerous fronts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Cappagh House Finglas

Never in it but there is parking spot outside with "AMBULANCE ONLY" wrote inside it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=the+grafton+liverpool&sll=53.41291,-8.24389&sspn=7.496208,19.138184&ie=UTF8&hq=the+grafton&hnear=Liverpool,+Merseyside,+United+Kingdom&layer=c&cbll=53.415935,-2.956884&panoid=qdZ0VydxoSgjAhEiurdkLg&cbp=12,345.11,,0,-2.89&ll=53.412857,-2.951374&spn=0.029263,0.074759&z=14

The Olympia in Liverpool and if you do at 180° in street view The Grafton shortly afterwards. What's missing from the google street view picture is the 3 riot squad vans parked outside as we were going in the door. Classy :D

Advertisement