Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The Fridge in Brixton London, there was a guy shot outside:eek:

East end pubs, pre West ham or milwall games , can be quite intimidating if you don't know what's going on

also some Swansea and Hollyhead pubs in Wales , deserve a mention

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

yabadabado wrote: »
    Graingers is on the corner of talbot st and amiens st and it wouldn't be too bad more a kip than dodgy.Molloys is fine the bar will have a few local pissheads and the lounge is full of cops and civil servants.Woudl it have been Mother Kelly's on the next corner after Molloy's?

You could be right. Sounds right, but I wouldn't swear to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭source

"Manhattan" in Hanley, Stoke on Trent.......over on a stag, had 1 drink there and got out of dodge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 chrisxii

the parkside in romford the drinkers were just nutters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Caufields pub on upper Dorset street it's part of the hotel. Went In after college with a few mates the drink is dirt cheap but unfortunatly it was dole day the scum in there was unbeleivable junkies galore. 2 owl ones fighting in the toilet over one of their husbands and perverts trying to Touch up me mates funny night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Desesperados in Ciudad Juárez in Mexico. A full scale riot and shootout with the police broke out around a half hour after a big fight in the bar. Thankfully all the shooting was being done outside. This was years ago before the worldwide rep of Juárez. Vowed never to go back to that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

A1 bar in Limerick, near parkway. As far as I know there have been more than a few murders on the premises. **** pint too.

I was in another one on North Lincoln in Chicago and the place just creeped me out, can't remember the name of it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Desesperados in Ciudad Juárez in Mexico. A full scale riot and shootout with the police broke out around a half hour after a big fight in the bar. Thankfully all the shooting was being done outside. This was years ago before the worldwide rep of Juárez. Vowed never to go back to that place.

Are you completely off your head mate ,Jesus Iraq is safer that that place ,about 25 people per day a slain there.There is a website setup dedicated to showing the world and reporting on the Mexico drug war NSFW Im suprised you got out alive ,last week they found loads of heads on the side of the road with messages from the cartels.Im gonna say you have been to the dodgyiest pub on earth!

Close thread this man is the winner! Desperados bar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

This thread got my interest and I asked local barmen..

Dublin South…(in reverse order)

Chinaman – lack of licence / Garda interest – levelled inside a week
    Napper Tandy (landlady may or may not have killed landlord back in 60’s, legendary and scary at the best of times ) – property development
    The Stork (Garda Interest, health/safety inspectors lead to close down) – on which point may I note.. the only pub I was told never to go into by people who have served life sentences for murder. Even killers have taste.

I attach a piccie of the winner for the South Central brigade

The Stork - http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8105/thestork.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Do the people who drink in pubs make them dodgy or is it just dodgy pubs that attract dodgy people? I have met my fair share of dodgy people in decent pubs........normally it's just a surreal moment in a moment of alcohol madness that brings it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Hanlons Corner they serve Plasma on Draught

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Some of the bouncers on the doors in the clubs down bray seafront had a pretty bad rep

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

finisklin wrote: »
    Do the people who drink in pubs make them dodgy or is it just dodgy pubs that attract dodgy people? I have met my fair share of dodgy people in decent pubs........normally it's just a surreal moment in a moment of alcohol madness that brings it on.

To be honest, I take your point, you can get shot dead in the Shelbourne if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. We're talking here about finding the wrong place first - in all of the above named (I know nothing about foreign fields) you will have a quiet and probably nice pint and walk out again with an uneasy feeling.

unless you go looking for trouble..in that case, it will find you - didn't your dad say that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Dingatron wrote: »
    The Olympia in Liverpool and if you do at 180° in street view The Grafton shortly afterwards. What's missing from the google street view picture is the 3 riot squad vans

The boarded up windows upstairs and the lack of a sign above the place pretty much represent all the hallmarks of a seriously dodgy pub in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

This thread got my interest and I asked local barmen..

Dublin South…(in reverse order)

Chinaman – lack of licence / Garda interest – levelled inside a week
    Napper Tandy (landlady may or may not have killed landlord back in 60’s, legendary and scary at the best of times ) – property development
    The Stork (Garda Interest, health/safety inspectors lead to close down) – on which point may I note.. the only pub I was told never to go into by people who have served life sentences for murder. Even killers have taste.

I attach a piccie of the winner for the South Central brigade

The Stork - http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8105/thestork.jpg

I'd forgotten about The Stork, nice place too but The Canal would still shade it in my opinion. Same clientelle being only a few hundred yards apart but I cant remember The Stork having a lock in....to keep the vigilantes out and the dealers in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Are you completely off your head mate ,Jesus Iraq is safer that that place ,about 25 people per day a slain there.There is a website setup dedicated to showing the world and reporting on the Mexico drug war NSFW Im suprised you got out alive ,last week they found loads of heads on the side of the road with messages from the cartels.Im gonna say you have been to the dodgyiest pub on earth!

Close thread this man is the winner! Desperados bar

I was living in the US at the time and mates roped me into going down with them while we were on a road trip of the west and south from Kansas to Florida. With heavy peer pressure on me being the translator. It was day time and the plan was to hit the strip clubs. And remember this was years ago and Juárez was just a place people said was a crazy border town much like what Tijuana was known for. So we weren't expecting it to be that bad. And only for that incident the place was fine. A lot different now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Fat Cats Glasgow

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Diabalo

thebaz wrote: »

I know that lad. He's bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Diabalo

Dingatron wrote: »
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=the+grafton+liverpool&sll=53.41291,-8.24389&sspn=7.496208,19.138184&ie=UTF8&hq=the+grafton&hnear=Liverpool,+Merseyside,+United+Kingdom&layer=c&cbll=53.415935,-2.956884&panoid=qdZ0VydxoSgjAhEiurdkLg&cbp=12,345.11,,0,-2.89&ll=53.412857,-2.951374&spn=0.029263,0.074759&z=14

The Olympia in Liverpool and if you do at 180° in street view The Grafton shortly afterwards. What's missing from the google street view picture is the 3 riot squad vans parked outside as we were going in the door. Classy :D

There was world war 3 when I was there after closing. The place was full of coppers like you said and didnt have any control over the fighting. I'd say its a regular thing. It was something like 20pound to get in on the door and you could drink all you want but you were only allowed the one glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Haruki

The blue lion, Parnell street. Fourteen years old, first time on the rip in town, an older friend knew the barman, truly an experience i will never forget:eek:. Must say, i was made very welcome, i had quite long hair at the time for a young chap and that kept the regulars occupied for a while....fun times:rolleyes: That place had "vibes":eek:. Oh, and that story that does the rounds is very much true i'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

The Three Barrells, Neasden, London.....The Black Lion ,Kilburn,.....Racey Byrnes ,Carlow Town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

The white horse, inchicore. Only went there the once.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Fulhams in Navan. There are so many fights there that they've stopped replacing the windows... just fill them with concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

The white horse, inchicore. Only went there the once.
    Ha. Went in there to catch the football as I was passing by.

Nothx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Was in 'The Swordfish' bar in Newlyn, Cornwall across the way, and on arriving home, watched a sky 1 show 'top 10 roughest pubs in Britain' and it was number 8. but i thought it was a grand pub, no problems there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭this is arse

the parnell mooney, worked there for a while, never a dull moment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

The White Hart in Dorking, Surrey. All the tables & stools were weighted down as so many of them went through the windows. You didn't lift a stool in the place - they were too heavy. The place was under permanent police surveillance for a few years. It was a crazy place.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Finches in Neilstown and Meenaun View in Achill Island. Former looks like a bunker you could hose down and Meenaun View is the most hardcore Provo pub I've ever seen..

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jagged

thebaz wrote: »
    East end pubs, pre West ham or milwall games , can be quite intimidating if you don't know what's going on

also some Swansea and Hollyhead pubs in Wales , deserve a mention

Agreed...The Central near west hams ground..oh jesus it was an experience!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

The National Tavern, Dillon's cross, Cork.

Advertisement