Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Have seen the Jolly Toper and the Cardiff Inn(both in Finglas) on here. Not bad at all.

No-one remember The Rivermount??
    Grandmother used to say "Never drink in a pub with no windows"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mohandas

There's a few pubs in Glasgow that would be right up there.

What was the name of that green pub just down from Hanlon's Corner, towards Stonybatter.. It was straight across the road from Tesco.

I used to live just around the corner from it when I was in college, we went in for a look one night and holy **** lads.. I've been in some dives but this was beyond all.. I got a weed hook up there so things didn't pan out that badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

nobody has mentioned The Strand, in north strand, coming into town from fairview. Its a fcuking dive.

im pretty sure a few other posters in this thread have been alluding to Sean O'Caseys on Marlborough Street but couldnt remember the name. That can also be rough.

The Hilltop, a relatively new pub opened on Thomas Street, is an absolute kip, the worst Ive ever seen in the thomas street area. It resembles Grays of Newmarket Square.

The Chancery at 7am on a Saturday morning can be a bit much, but usually only because you're feeling extra fragile on the wind-down from a heavy Friday night. Ditto the White Horse nightclub that opened at 7am beside Tara Street dart station, before it was closed down.

In Cork, there was a nightclub called 'Surfers' on Oliver Plunkett street, that was rough as all hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

grizzly wrote: »
    dylano_k wrote: »
    Parnell Mooney, hands down !!! We all got started on by coked up knackers in there for no reason at all...biggest hole in dublin

Yes, this place was the first that came to mind. I remember walking to the jacks one night there. Got a hard shoulder on the way through the corridor, turned round to see it was a lady in her late 60's with a look in her eye that would melt stone.

I used to work with barmen who'd spent years working there. Man, they'd some stories, one which springs to mind is one of them was chatting at the door to the bouncer while waiting for the place to empty out after last orders. when the doorman quickly pulled him inside the door, thus narrowly saving them both from being petrol bombed.

They'd a few similar stories about the waxy dargle too. Sounded pretty hairy at times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Edz87 wrote: »
    What was the name of that green pub just down from Hanlon's Corner, towards Stonybatter.. It was straight across the road from Tesco.

I used to live just around the corner from it when I was in college, we went in for a look one night and holy **** lads.. I've been in some dives but this was beyond all.. I got a weed hook up there so things didn't pan out that badly.

City Arms?
    I remember another dive JDs on Parkgate street

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

A place called The Hideout in a prominent Protestant area of Belfast. Large UVF murals on the walls outside, burly, tattooed, skin headed clientele... Some place to go for after work drinks :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DRUMorDIE

Quick question:

I always pass the Waxies Dargle on the bus for Santry and you can tell from the outside its not the most welcoming. Hell even the area seems a kip! Anyone got any stories about the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

been in a few bars in the Basque Country, that are run without paying any taxes, the proceeds being used to support the ETA prisoners and their families.

First time in one-lots of eyes in my direction until they copped on the barman was being friendly to me then word got around Im Irish and on subsequent visits was treated extremely well, not really rough but imagining the suspicion those people had about me, though I knew where I was going...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:rolleyes:;) The horseshoe bar in the shelbourne hotel,Full of fraudsters and scamers I tell ya, never again.:):rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

I think people are exaggerating a lot here, there are no dangerous bars Ireland, there are many kips that attract low-lifers etc but they are no more dangerous than anywhere else once you keep your wits about you. I believe if you want trouble you will get it no matter where.

The North is a different story however.

My own experience of kips have been mentioned, Parnell Mooney when it was open and the Chancery on the quays. The Flying Scotsman in Kings X London. All kips and I came out without a scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

Parnell Mooney has re-opened - as a Gastro pub with a roof top bar!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056533483

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

DRUMorDIE wrote: »
    Quick question:

I always pass the Waxies Dargle on the bus for Santry and you can tell from the outside its not the most welcoming. Hell even the area seems a kip! Anyone got any stories about the place?

I spent a few nights there last year. Rough as **** but had great craic.

Good thread, sometimes a pub that seems rough and has a dodgy clientele can be far better craic than people would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

nice_very wrote: »
    been in a few bars in the Basque Country, that are run without paying any taxes, the proceeds being used to support the ETA prisoners and their families.

First time in one-lots of eyes in my direction until they copped on the barman was being friendly to me then word got around Im Irish and on subsequent visits was treated extremely well, not really rough but imagining the suspicion those people had about me, though I knew where I was going...

Was this in the Old Town area of Bilbao?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Jim wrote: »
    Ha. Went in there to catch the football as I was passing by.

Nothx.

Do you mean The Black Horse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    The Baggot Inn years ago. The place was a hole but it had cracking music nights

Hardly dodgy though was it? Just because it was a dump, doesn't make it dodgy. Unless you feel threatened by lads in chinos and deck shoes singing rugby songs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

The Three Barrells, Neasden, London.....The Black Lion ,Kilburn,.....Racey Byrnes ,Carlow Town

I used live over the Black Lion in the late 90's and it was really bad.
    Anytime I was short of cash for a night out I would just wait at the window and get all my entertainment for free!
    Heard afterwards the landlord a guy from Cork got glassed and lost his eye,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

neil_hosey wrote: »
    The Cappagh House, The Cardiff, and the bottom of the hill, all in Finglas...... :D

I used to work as a lounge boy in The Cardiff. Used to take little breaks by sitting smoking J's with regs. Mad spot, looks worse now than when I worked there (which was 18 or 19 years ago- Jebus where does time go?)

Surprised The Rivermount hasn't been mentioned yet. Closed now but that was one dodgey bar. Think it was one of the few to allow funerals for a certain ethnic minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

the windjammer at 7am in the morning. dark and dingy, with a few suspect characters bricking it when i saw them, but got chatting and it was grand then.

few pubs in belfast around sandy row. thats a mistake i wont be making again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

HOS 1997 wrote: »
    Was this in the Old Town area of Bilbao?

not the bar I was talking about, but I've been to a couple in that part too (being sure to order my beer in Basque, lol)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

The Chancery Inn on Inns Quay is a bit of an experience. I remember sitting outside it on a Saturday morning with a motley collection of Dublin's finest, waiting for them to open the doors at 7am. It's a pretty rough auld spot alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Most early houses in any city you will get a rough looking crowd,But cheeses there only trying to get there first of the day to keep the withdrawals away.Drank in lot of above pubs in Dublin at some time or another ,finglas,inner city & me own Ballyfermot also quite a few in Belfast & Scotland.Belfast being the dodgist imo the rest keep your head down and you be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Was in a pub in Belfast that was originally set up as a pigeon fancying club 100 years ago but has turned into a place for loyalists to drink and watch Rangers matches.

The GF's granddad was the head of an orange order up there and it was his local so her dad wanted to bring myself and her brothers for a pint there on the day of his funeral.

No women allowed except on Sundays, massive security door with a buzz in system and cameras looking out to see if hey know you, everyone with shaved heads, missing teeth, Rangers jerseys and tattoos.

Was sent up to order a round and me with my Dublin accent, I was a bit nervous. The barman immediately started on at me about not wanting my type around there, neck like a jockey's bollocks etc.

Your man then gives me a wink and starts laughing and I turn around and see her dad and his mates doing the same. Apparently they had put him up to it. :rolleyes:

I wasn't even angry, just massively relieved and glad that my bowels had remained intact. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Roddens in Buncrana, Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

annascott wrote: »
    Roddens in Buncrana, Donegal
    In Buncrana? Jez you've lived a sheltered life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Years back the Wolfe Tone in Letterkenny. Very nice and clean pub. Friendly staff. Mostly sound customers. However, on certain nights you might be drinking with some very dangerous people.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Two spring to mind, both in Manchester. The first was called "The Nag's Head" but there were no cheerful cockneys in this version, just a load of malnourished Mancunians who looked like extras from a Michael Jackson video.

The other is directly opposite Eastlands (Man. City for the uninitiated), Mary D's I think it's called and apparently it's a United pub the rest of the week. Went in there for the first ever match at Eastlands about 6 years ago. Should have known what type of place I was in when, at midday, I got my pint in a McDonald's type carton, not even your regular plastic one. They uesd to charge a pound just to go upstairs. One of the lads got mugged at the cigarette machine INSIDE the pub. Thankfully there were police everywhere outside but they disappeared about 6 o'clock. I asked a local why so many of them and he replied it was because someone had been murdered there the night before-exit stage left.

(should have taken the cue earlier when the landlord told us taxis didn't even go there).
    ah,the nags head.
    it has got a very different reputation to what it used to be thanks to being passed around alot of different owners,the area its in [assuming do not go down the road at the side of the nag;towards the estates such as kingsway park,all roughly opposite davyhulme retail park] is very decent,it houses a lot of elderly and disabled people in that area.
    a passing thought of pointless note-had gone to special school with the son of the nags head owner back in the pre millenium years.

a pub will always recommend to avoid are the gorsehill pub in gorse hill not far down the road from manchester uniteds ground,its full of chavs but it is in a area full of them.
    the other one is the robin hood pub in stretford manchester,havent been there for years,but it still has a lot of issues with chavs and gun toting muppets who use the pub as a base for their gang,if remember correctly; the OT crew is one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

The Happy Ring House in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

There is a pub in Whitechurch, Dublin called "The Furry Bog" , Where all the windows have steel shutters on them all day long . I have never been in there , and that is the reason why...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

The funkey box in liverpool. Didnt think id get out alive

Advertisement