Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Chasers in Ballyfermot the one above the shops

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Roadhouse bar and grill in Bilioux Mississippi. They don't take too kindly to Irish boys down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

ziggy 23 wrote: »
    Chasers in Ballyfermot the one above the shops

:o Chasers, that is one of the good pubs in Ballyer,That and downey's :o The rest can be quite clannish.

The Roadhouse bar and grill in Bilioux Mississippi. They don't take too kindly to Irish boys down there.

Tell us more :)

Ramblers Rest in ballybrack. Scary scary place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

realies wrote: »
    :o Chasers, that is one of the good pubs in Ballyer,That and downey's :o The rest can be quite clannish.

Oh sorry:o Don't mind me I'm a snob:pac:

ziggy 23 wrote: »
    Oh sorry:o Don't mind me I'm a snob:pac:

No probs here your entitled to your say on them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Tell us more :)

Parts of Mississippi are exactly like something of a movie, time has stood still for the past 60 years or so. This joint we went into for beers was full your typical redneck gruff southern men. When I asked for a beer the reply from the barman was who are you?, I answered a student from Ireland and he just glared at me and served the drink. Needless to stay we didn't stay long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

The Catwalk in Cork city ... what a sh1thole.
    went there after a UCC Comm Ball a good few years, a right kip, only place to get served at 7am

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Is The Dawson still as tiny as it used to back in the '80s?

I haven't been in there in years. Used to pop in there after
    a screening in The Ambassador or Savoy for last drinks and
    be squeezed in with the regular punters.

We'd order about three pints each and sip into the early hours.

Is Ron still about???

I loved that boozer. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭lamoss

The Essex arms in clapham junction in the late 70,s.
    Went to the jacks for a p*ss and a guy comes into the next urinal then about 30 seconds later this other guy comes in and grabs yer man by the hair and shouts out wheres yer brother spud........and batters his head into the wall, Blood everywhere, He bumps into me and says " oh sorry mate " and carries on battering yer man , I said no problem.*

* Leaves whistling a tune with hands in pockets *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

"The Flying Bottle" ... scary place!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

I remember getting dragged to The Brazen Head as
    a teen and being horrorfied at the sawdust on the floor
    and them only serving Guiness in bottles.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Was in a few pubs in the Ardoyne in Belfast. Safe for me because I was with one of the locals who now lives up the road form me here in the deep south but it wouldn't be safe for... a rangers fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Jonniealan wrote: »
    The old Chinaman in town somewhere some say it never actually existed, that it was an urban myth. But no i was in it about 17 at the time. Does anyone remember the Dublin Punk band paranoid visions well the lead singer was in there at the time and he decided to throw a shoe at me.

The most bizzare pub/place i have ever been too. Almost put me off booze if im honest.

It was on corner of Ship St sort of where the Radisson Golden Lane is now. Was in there once on a "stop at every pub" crawl. While we had our drinks a guy came in and stashed a set of hubcaps behind the bar. We had suits on and felt like we were going to get our heads kicked in at any stage. I think there was a pool table with snapped cues:eek:

Pints slammed, got the hell out of there. Was knocked shortly after.

ankles wrote: »
    It was on corner of Ship St sort of where the Radisson Golden Lane is now. Was in there once on a "stop at every pub" crawl. While we had our drinks a guy came in and stashed a set of hubcaps behind the bar. We had suits on and felt like we were going to get our heads kicked in at any stage. I think there was a pool table with snapped cues:eek:

The chinaman was before harcourt sq was built, a favorite drinking place for the special branch from Dublin castle,When they moved it went kinda downhill :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Some pub in Illford I wondered in and ordered a drink and looked around and all I could see were some underworld looking clientèle and a reflection in the mirror of a paddy on his own. I turned my back for a sec and the guy next to me took my just pulled pint, I said "thats my pint" and he said no its not, "its mine now" I swallowed my pride and left with my life.

Believe or not, although that was the wisest thing to do, I was bulling for about a week, thinking I should have fought or not just easilly walked away, I don't know what the outcome would have been if I had more drink on me, I probably would have ended up as pig food or the bottom of the Thames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

ankles wrote: »

The chinaman was before harcourt sq was built, a favorite drinking place for the special branch from Dublin castle,When they moved it went kinda downhill :)

Went there in my shortlived mid 90s 'delboy' phase because of said reputation. I recall ordering a pint n a pool ball smashed onto the floor behind me from upstairs n I .. picked it up. biggest most quietest pregnant pause ever ensued ......... but in truth it were only 2 seconds. And not actually that quiet?!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Up-n-atom! wrote: »
    Heard a few stories about the original Fibbers from a few years back - friend of mine seen some girl in the jacks openly shaving her minge:eek::p

Fibbers? Really? I was a regular there back in the mid 90s - it was a mecca for metal heads, goths, punks and assorted rockers. Noisy yes, but rough it was not.

If you think Fibbers on Parnell Street was rough you have lived a very sheltered life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Fibbers was and is just rockers n old summerhill alcies propping up the bar rasping on a mars bar. No wannabe wideboys there and hence, no trouble. very seldom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Foghladh

The Tredegar in Cardiff used to be my local and had the rep of being a bit dodgy. Of course I didn't know when I moved into the area but it was right across the road from my house so I popped in on the first night.

Once they'd established that I wasn't a cop I got on alright with them. To be honest I think I was so out of place they kind of adopted me. More tattoos per square inch than any place I'd ever been in and they wore their fringes gelled down before it became cool :)

The Chinaman was a legend back in the 90s - it was known as basically as an illegal drugs supermarket and I always wanted to pop in to see if it lived up to its reputation - but ultimately I was too chicken to do so TBH.:o

I used to drink in the Green Lizard the odd time in the late 90s and I never thought it was dodgy. It used to have a lovely fire to sup your pint in front of. Maybe it went downhill after that?

Believe it or not, but for a few years Dublin's gay scene had its very own rough dive. Out On The Liffey opened in around 1995 and at the time it was Dublin's 2nd gay bar after the George. It was ok in the 90s but at some point after around 2001 or so it went rapidly downhill and became notorious for glassings, fights, flying furniture etc.:pac: It's now called the Blue Goose.

Finches in Neilstown was rough as hell when I paid the place a visit in the 90s. No windows. There was a complete dive of a place on Moore Street beside the side of the Ilac Centre. Looked like something from a South American shanty town.

There was this total dive of a place in Sligo town that an acquaintance took me to which looked like it had last seen a lick of paint in 1973. The jacks looked like they hadn't been cleaned since 1973 either.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

JupiterKid wrote: »

There was this total dive of a place in Sligo town that an acquaintance took me to which looked like it had last seen a lick of paint in 1973. The jacks looked like they hadn't been cleaned since 1973 either.:eek:

hardly the celtic bar up the road from the leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Used to pop into the Wetherspoons in Brockley (SE London) occasionally and there was always something happening in there. A couple of the more serious occurrences included:

- A guy from x gang got chased in there by about 4 members of y gang. X gang boy - amid a lot of posturing, shouting and kicking over furniture - gets on the phone to his mates (with instructions to "bring shooters"), who turned up en masse. Cue a brawl between the two sets of guys. It was pretty surreal because although they were knocking the heads off each other, they didn't even acknowledge - much less involve - any of the pub's patrons. Also, the way it ended was incredible. Remember those kids' cartoons where two characters get into a fight and it's represented by a cloud moving around the screen with the odd arm, leg and fist sticking out? That's exactly what happened. All ten of them seemed to move as a unit out the door and down the road, all while knocking chunks off each other.

- Was passing one Tuesday evening at about 6pm, just as a guy in his early 20s was coming out the door. Within seconds there were five unmarked police cars around him and about 10 machine gun-armed cops screaming at him to get on the ground. I've never seen anything like that since.

- One Saturday night there was a fight involving about 20 teenage girls. After they'd been kicked out all that remained were their hair extensions, which covered the floor :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Believe it or not, but for a few years Dublin's gay scene had its very own rough dive. Out On The Liffey opened in around 1995 and at the time it was Dublin's 2nd gay bar after the George. It was ok in the 90s but at some point after around 2001 or so it went rapidly downhill and became notorious for glassings, fights, flying furniture etc.:pac: It's now called the Blue Goose.

That's quite interesting. When it became really rough was it still a gay bar or had the clientele changed?

(And I'm really not trying to suggest that gay bars should be any different to straight bars here. If the question's worded poorly it's just because I'm tired)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

donster79 wrote: »
    The Cavern in Salou, Spain. Anyone who's been there will know what I mean.

I nearly got into a boxing match with a poxy roma flower seller there.

Edit; wrong holiday. it was nerja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I was working in southern Poland in a place called Bytom. It's one of those places when Polish people hear I worked there they give me a big WTF face and can't believe it. In a nutshell it's the murder capital of Poland where the large prison in the city centre is its attraction and there are open mines polluting the sky. The city streets are full of crumbling, empty shops.

I quite liked it there though :) as it was seriously another world. Hard to describe but if you could imagine transporting back in time to maybe just after WW2 it looks a bit like that, including the awful poverty.

Anyway!

I would wander the streets trying to get a feel of the place. I came across one bar which sort of looked like a storeroom with a couple of chairs in it and a bar. There were weird flags and stuff on the wall. It looked great from the outside (great as in a weird little bar I can check out) so I strolled in. Everyone went silent and stared at me. I pointed at a beer and asked for one. The barman gave me a crazy look and poured me the cheapest pint of my life. I sat down. Everyone continued to remain silent. I knocked back the pint and left.

Weird experience.

wilkie2006 wrote: »

That's quite interesting. When it became really rough was it still a gay bar or had the clientele changed?

(And I'm really not trying to suggest that gay bars should be any different to straight bars here. If the question's worded poorly it's just because I'm tired)

Oh it was still very much a gay bar - which happened to get the dregs of the gay and lesbian community. It was as rough as hell.

It's now The Blue Goose and is no longer a gay bar. The owners also own a gay sauna along the same quay and a gay guesthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I used live over the Black Lion in the late 90's and it was really bad.
    Anytime I was short of cash for a night out I would just wait at the window and get all my entertainment for free!
    Heard afterwards the landlord a guy from Cork got glassed and lost his eye,

My uncle used to live above it in the 80's when he worked there, he maintained it was a great spot the mad bastard!

I was in a pub in Cardiff a few years ago, think it was called Browne's or something. Saw a few fights, vomit all over the place, girls pissing against the bar etc. To top it off though they sold Stella Artois in plastic bottles so you couldn't bottle anyone. All the other beers were in glass bottles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Friends and I were on business in Philadelphia once and stayed in what seemed to be a half ghost town. Lots of houses abandoned. Looked like a town in the process of dying. Went into a bar and it was just like The Double Deuce! Everyone stopped and stared at us until we left. You would hear a pin drop or a gun cock, it got so quiet when we walked in. Sign on the door said "no gang colors". It was a truly scary and wonderful place to see. I'd never go back!

Advertisement