Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the dodgiest pub you have been to?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Theres supposed to be this savage members only bar just off Kildare Street, pints are dirt cheap, you can expense them as well and you can basically drink till all hours without worried about getting thrown out. Some of the lads that drink there as well have drivers waiting for them outside.

I think you need to get the public to vote for you though before you can drink in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Route 66 in La Paz, Bolivia. Barman asked me what I wanted to drink, then asked how many grammes I wanted. Looked around, everyone was openly taking the marching powder. Didn't leave until about 10.30 next morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Ye guys want to know one town where nearly everyone of the bars is as rough as another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

LadyJ wrote: »
    Popped into some pub opposite Connelly Station a few months back just to kill 20 mins before I had to be somewhere and everyone in the place just stared me out of it the whole time. I took out an a4 pad and a pen just to write something down and people started pointing at me and whispering to each other.

Very scary.

wasnt called the north star by any chance? I had to go in there before and my god i was never as scared in my life. Sounds exactly like what you were talking about, people staring at you because your not a local. And, a well known criminal, who is always in the papers and on the news was one of those doing the staring! :eek: I quickly left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I had the misfortune of ending up in a pub called the Prince of Wales near Upton Park in London. I was only about 18 at the time and am not a West Ham supporter so didnt know the area particularly. I learned subsequently that it was one of the toughest pubs in east London and there were several well known hooligans present at the time. I actually ended up going there again about 3 years later by complete coincidence with a group of "locals" and had one of the best nights ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭donkey balls

finches in clondalkin bouncers on the door during the day place does be packed at 1 o clock in the day also doyles in phisboro mad kip bouncers have metal detecters on the door. last time i was inn there with my mates we kept looking over our shoulders as you had every mad yoke from finglas cabra& inner city drinking in the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

The Lantern in Ballybane, Galway. Closed now. No Loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭fippy

Cant believe "The Jobstown house" in tallaght hasn't been mentioned.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

The Limelight on Thomas Street...

Ended up in there on day two of a bit of a bender, and no sooner had I set foot in the place when a one legged junkie who was passed out on a pool table cocked his head up and asked me was i after any yokes...

There were a few old lads with big yellow beards openly skinning up and there was a heavily pregnant girl who didn't look a day over 14 buying a bottle of vodka at the bar
    that honestly made me laugh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

LadyJ wrote: »
    Popped into some pub opposite Connelly Station a few months back just to kill 20 mins before I had to be somewhere and everyone in the place just stared me out of it the whole time. I took out an a4 pad and a pen just to write something down and people started pointing at me and whispering to each other.

Very scary.
    It that was Clearys (red front, under the railway bridge) they probably looked at you cos you were the first girl to go in there in 30 years. Great pub though. Like Moes
    PrivateEye wrote: »
    Deep in enemy territory, Belfast :pac:

Israeli flag behind the bar and all at the time, epic. Literally looked like they'd decorated the pub by going 'What are the other crowd interested in at the minute? Alright. Whats the exact opposite of that? Brilliant we'll have two of them!'

Didn't have a pint anyway.
    You should have ordered a Guinness with a Jameson chaser
    DenMan wrote: »
    One night when I was working one fcuker pissed into an empty pint glass and gave it to his pal to drink. He drank the whole pint and puked all over the bar. I was quick and dodged the debris but a lot of other people where not so lucky. One pig ignorent old timer just laughed as he was covered in puke. Said it hasn't happened to him in a good while and then sipped his pint. wtf!!! :eek:
    Quality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

Parnell Mooney, hands down !!! We all got started on by coked up knackers in there for no reason at all...biggest hole in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

The Cappagh House, The Cardiff, and the bottom of the hill, all in Finglas...... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Right maybe showing my age here but two places for me in dublin. Both these are gone now.

The Ski Club aka McGraths on O'Connel street. Man that was some kip. Last time I was in there 4 lads were setting fire to the dance floor with a can of lighter fluid. All 4 had silver bubble jackets and the latest in the air max classic range.

The Waterfront Nightclub (sir john rogersons quay). Back in the good aul days of Club FM & the Mix 106 dance nights. I felt embarrassed drinking a pint. At the bar you could buy a party pack which consisted of a can of bulmers with two ecstacy tabs selotaped to the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Two spring to mind, both in Manchester. The first was called "The Nag's Head" but there were no cheerful cockneys in this version, just a load of malnourished Mancunians who looked like extras from a Michael Jackson video.

The other is directly opposite Eastlands (Man. City for the uninitiated), Mary D's I think it's called and apparently it's a United pub the rest of the week. Went in there for the first ever match at Eastlands about 6 years ago. Should have known what type of place I was in when, at midday, I got my pint in a McDonald's type carton, not even your regular plastic one. They uesd to charge a pound just to go upstairs. One of the lads got mugged at the cigarette machine INSIDE the pub. Thankfully there were police everywhere outside but they disappeared about 6 o'clock. I asked a local why so many of them and he replied it was because someone had been murdered there the night before-exit stage left.

(should have taken the cue earlier when the landlord told us taxis didn't even go there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Penthouse and Towers in Ballymun.Bottom of Hill in Finglas.
    A pub in a rough part of Manchester where a guy had been shot the previous week(We were staying upstairs as it was also a B&B and only found out when we arrived how mad it was, Landlady was dealing coke and grass)

A pub in Tijuana in mexico which we later found out was a favored drinking location of the local gangs who are currently in American news stories for their killing of many people both sides of the US/Mexico border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

either the lough inn in loughlinstown or the bridge house in dolphins barn, the latter being an absolute dive.
    madisson in rathmines was catching up with the bridge house but its shut now thank god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

either the lough inn in loughlinstown or the bridge house in dolphins barn, the latter being an absolute dive.
    madisson in rathmines was catching up with the bridge house but its shut now thank god

Really, always thought (from looking from the outside) Graces was the kip in Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

either the lough inn in loughlinstown or

I've never braved that despite the temptation to see how truly awful it is

Salvelinus wrote: »
    Really, always thought (from looking from the outside) Graces was the kip in Rathmines.

fat freddie was a regular in there...

graces is grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

iv heard the sunset dawn is dodgy, never had any problems in there tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

A pub in Drogheda. I knew it was dodgy when they tried to refuse me entry because I was wearing New Rock boots. They actually had the nerve to allege that I might kick someone with them!

I've never braved that despite the temptation to see how truly awful it is

dont. you may not make it out alive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

The Mucky Duck(formerly Dick Devans) and the sibin up in southill. Both in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

neil_hosey wrote: »
    The Cardiff...... Finglas :D

I drove by that once, fukin hell it looks rough! Id say the windows have never been washed. You can see the pawmarks on the windows from the road....

Isnt there Carling or Bavaria etc... on tap there....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭sioda

Birdie086 wrote: »
    The Mucky Duck(formerly Dick Devans) and the sibin up in southill. Both in Limerick.

Was wondering when the Mucky Duck would turn up worst pub on the planet by a country mile. No smoking ban in ther though it has to be said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

really i quite loved that place for daytime pints, its sun soaked pavement setting. very rosemantic! one of the most tragic things ive seen was a wedding reception held upstairs over that bar last Summer.

the dodgiest bar I've been to was a basement bar in a pleasant looking baroque building in a quiet Prague street. Turned out it doubled as a gay sauna/ sex house. Being classy boys, we weren't quite so rude as to not finish our drinks, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gsp119

Jobstown House and Killanarden Inn - Those 2 are scary mutant banjo plucking kips -

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Lord Bar, Riga, Latvia.

Me & friend go for a walk in Riga at night. Approached by two girls that 'mistake' us for somebody else. Ask us to go for a drink with them anyways. Sure why not. They walk us in & ask us if we want wine, we both say no. They order a bottle (in Latvian), friend spots price of wine...

We decide to make a hasty exit. 2 ***HUGE*** bouncers that weren't going to let us by. Girls, supported by 2 barmaids demanding we pay for drink. Skinhead comes in & tries to push us out the back (out of sight), to 'negotiate'.

I demand they get police. Enter fake cop 30mins later, saying we have to pay. I refuse, demand he arrests me... Must have been there about an hour, they eventually gave up & told us to get out.

Was told later, a lot of the bars are run by Mafia & we were very lucky. That scam is pulled every night.

Advice for anyone going to Riga- dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The Rockingham Arms in Boyle Co. Roscommon. Many a beer barrel came through those windows. The guards were in there more than the regulars.

Finches in Clondalkin. Scary scary place. Only go in there if you are related to a regular or you might die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Lord Bar, Riga, Latvia.

Me & friend go for a walk in Riga at night. ...................to get out.

Was told later, a lot of the bars are run by Mafia & we were very lucky. That scam is pulled every night.

Advice for anyone going to Riga- dont.

That happens in a lot of eastern european places to tourists. Never order anything without looking at a pricelist or menu! Strip bars are the worst for it

Advertisement